Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever heard of a 'verbal' 12 month lease?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi
    been searching thru some posts here about breaking your lease, and a lot of advice given says that sometimes there are break clauses in the lease.
    I moved into a place 4mths ago...it was advertised as a 12mth lease, the landlord told me at the time i moved in that its a 12mth lease...but he's never made me sign anything. I dont even have a rent book, but ive never kicked up about that cos he is nice and repairs anything thats broken.
    Threshold told me verbal agreement still counts , although it would be harder to prove. But im thinking all he would have to do is dig up the advertisement he used right?
    Has anyone been in this situation and got out of a 'verbal' lease?
    I just cant afford the rent anymore, dublin is way more expensive than i thought before i moved here.
    appreciate any advice. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

speedy2007 wrote: »
    But im thinking all he would have to do is dig up the advertisement he used right?
    That is rather persuasive, although not not conclusive.
    Has anyone been in this situation and got out of a 'verbal' lease?
    Talk to threashold - it would appear that you can nominate a replacement for the rest of the 12 months. www.threshold.ie
    I just cant afford the rent anymore, dublin is way more expensive than i thought before i moved here.
    Explain this to your landlord. Ask for an reduction or an out.

Advertisement