Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone repaired everything gone W580i

• 07-07-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if this belongs in Consumer or here but here goes.

Bought a SE W580i in March from Carphone Warehouse. Within 6 weeks two of the keys had come off. Called SE customer care first and they told me I was entitled to a refund as the phone was faulty. Took it into CW and they said they would have to send it off because "there was nothing wrong with it, it was just broke".

Long story short I got it back today and it has a new keypad but it's been wiped apart from the call register. Contacts & calendar I got back as I had it backed up. Memory card I kept so have some stuff on that. But all the games, ringtones & themes I downloaded are gone. I reckon that I've lost about €40 worth of stuff.

At no time was I told that this would happen but when I went back to CW after I discovered the issue I was told it was standard that when a phone went for repair it was reset (but how do I have the call log?).

Will get on to customer care first thing but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else had any success?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

All phones that are repaired are wiped, so i highly doubt you will have any luck with them tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had the same problem with 3 but they refunded me some money to buy some more games as a good will gesture.....
    Maybe you should ask your provider to do the same, they should be able to tell you what you bought....

Note to self, back everything up to memory card & make sure it's a brand name card from a reputible suppier.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Strange though that the call log is still there?

Plus at no stage was I ever told this would happen so I do have an issue with Carphone Warehouse - I should have been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

athtrasna wrote: »
    Strange though that the call log is still there?

Plus at no stage was I ever told this would happen so I do have an issue with Carphone Warehouse - I should have been told.

Yeah it is very strange that the call log is still there.

You should have also been told. Did you sign anything when you gave them the phone to repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

When a phone goes for repair everything should be wiped when you get it back unless previously stated when the phone goes for repair, you shoul've been made aware of this though. Also with carphone warehouse if you send your phone for repair 3 times they are obliged by their sale to provide you with a replacement handset(brand new of course). This happened me and I asked for a different handset altogether-another nokia and it wasnt a problem

• Advertisement

Nope didn't sign anything nor was I told that it would be wiped. It took forever to leave the phone in too, I was with the guy for about 15 minutes. The shop was busy towards the end so maybe the guy forgot.

The call log thing is weird alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They should have informed you everthing would be wiped, it's standard procedure.....I don't know what come back you have with carphone, I can't see them refunding you for missing games....worth a try though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i used to work there. To the people working there, wiping a phone that's gone in for repair is so standard and so obviously going to happen that sometimes we forget that other people might not know this. i doubt you'll get anything from them tbh. Every single phone that goes in for repair gets wiped. When you think about it, wiping the phone was most likely going to happen. It could even have been a case that they threw your phone in the bin and gave you a different handset. any repair company like this has a clause that your data is your own responsibility and you should have asked if it was important to you

as for getting a refund from 3, you would have bought the games from them right? All they had to do was look at your account and see how much to refund you. Cpw can't do that. and meteor won't. They've done nothing wrong here unlike in the case of 3 where it was a 3 store that took it back

SE customer care were wrong to say you were entitled to a refund. Cpw were within their rights to send it for repair.

it is odd about the call log but who knows what they did at the repair centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Under the data protection legislation EVERY phone must be wiped even before a tech looks at it. The first thing that is done is the phone is "booked in" and placed in a device that wipes everything (or should). Its then given to the tech for repair.

elderlemon wrote: »
    Under the data protection legislation EVERY phone must be wiped even before a tech looks at it. The first thing that is done is the phone is "booked in" and placed in a device that wipes everything (or should). Its then given to the tech for repair.

Well and good if they'd told me. But they didn't.

As it was a mechanical repair - new keypad - I can see no reason why they needed to go near the data on the phone :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

As it was a mechanical repair - new keypad - I can see no reason why they needed to go near the data on the phone :confused:

Did you read the message you quoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Yes they should have told you but the result would be the same. Even if you want the screen cleaned :) they still have to clear if of all personal data first.

chrislad wrote: »
    Did you read the message you quoted?

I did. But my point was that when I handed over my phone for a mechanical repair, I was unaware of the wipe it all policy and was not made aware of it. It did not occur to me to ask as as far as I knew, all that was being done was the keypad was being replaced so why would they go near the data.

Knowing now is not much use to me but my contention is that they sold me a defective handset (SE have acknowledged the flaw in early batches of this model) and not only did I not have my phone for 2 weeks but they've also deleted stuff that I paid for without my consent.

2 calls to "customer care" today as CW shops (well some of them anyway) don't have direct lines. Still waiting for the store manager to contact me. Will keep the thread updated of the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Back to your first post;
    When SE told you to bring it back for a refund, were you expecting the price of the phone and your third party apps to be refunded?

No but had I got a refund or replacement handset I would have known that I was losing everything on the phone and made the decision then.

In this case I was not informed that in order to have a phone with a fully functioning keypad, I would have to forfeit the applications bought from my service provider. Hence my issue with CW

CW made a gesture that I was happy with. It took about 6 calls to "customer support" to talk to a person who could help but the situation has been resolved at a comprimise level.

Advertisement