Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on a touring bike

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

My GF is looking to get herself a touring bike some time soon and neither of us really know what to look for.

So far she's seen 2 Giants, a Giant Expression and a Giant CRS 3.0.

She'll mostly going for cycling trips for pleasure and possibly work when she changes jobs to something nearer city centre.

Her budget is below 400 (350 preferable), don't think she'd go any higher.

Are 50mm shocks worth it for extra comfort and a sprung sadle? What kind of gearing sets on offer are reliable these days? It's been years for me since i had a good look for a bike.

Hope someone can help me (her) out.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

*BUMP*

Someone must be able to help or steer us in the direction of some good bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What sort of distances are you looking to cover? Is the primary use going to be long-distance multi-day tours, (the traditional use of a "touring" bike) or more day spins, with commuting and utility use (shopping, etc.)?

From the bikes you link I am guessing that you are looking primarily at practical commuter-type bikes? E.g. with rack and mudguards (highly advisable in this climate, and a rack is essential for utility use IMHO.)

The CRS is probably a bit lighter and faster than the Expression; I'm pretty sure you can add rack and mudguards to it. The former would be better suited to shorter distances around town, shopping and commuting while the latter would probably be nicer for a spin up the mountains (while still being fine for shopping/commuting if you add rack and mudguards.)

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the budget. That is quite low, there probably aren't a lot of options but the CRS 3.0 (€385?) might be the best bet. Alternatively consider the Dawes Discovery series, Trek FX 7.0. Best get out to a bike shop and try out a few bikes, see what you like. You could buy second-hand and get a bargain although you would want to have an idea what you are doing.

Bear in mind your GF probably doesn't need a "ladies" frame so if there is something that fits her in a male frame go for it.

Thanks for the reply.

Touring is prob the wrong word from your description. She's going to be using the bike mostly (at a guess) for commuting to/from work, cycling for leisure out of town and groceries. I think both the CRS and Expression she looked at came with a carrier and mud guards.

I'll mention to her about not getting a ladies frame, dunno how she would take it :P

I'll have a look at that dawes and trek mentioned. Was going to check some bike shops to day but thats hardly going to go ahead with the weather now :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's a hybrid im looking for then, not touring?

Yes, definately sounds like you want a hybrid, or "city bike". For very short distances a "city bike" may be most appropriate, hybrids can get progressively sportier and those ones can be a good choice if you are going to be doing longer spins out the country. They will work great as an about town bike as long as you stick mudguards and a rack on them- just have to budget that into the price (and a lock of course.)

Only reason for a ladies frame is if she is planning on cycling in full-length skirts.

Spent all day today walking round to checking out all the shops i knew of and cycle superstore in tallagh.

Seen quite a few nice bikes and she has more or less got her mind made up on a Giant Cypress W (€349), with mud guards (free) and a rack as extras. Spec from giant site:

Also seen the following 2 that she was semi interested in:

Gary Fisher Zebrano (€400) would also need a rack and mudguards.
    zebrano_l.jpg

and a Lapierre Acoma (€405) would also need a rack and mudguards.
    756241.jpg

I like the 2 last ones over the giant, they both seemed to have better components and looks some what nicer imo, but a little over her budget. She's going to go to the shop where we seen the giant on Monday to buy it.

Anyone got recommendations other that the above 1/3 mentioned in or around the €350 mark?

What kind of locks are recommended? Where shown a kryptonite U-lock with extra cable to loop around the wheels.

EDIT: Just been told that this Lapierre Campus €445 was also nice but it's over her budget and she's concerned about it's (mild) off-road capabilities.

• Advertisement

Think the Giant looks good and best value of the lot TBH. Would have to look over the specs to be sure- what did you think looked better on the other ones?

Advertisement