Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity point in outside shed?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this question has been asked or not before. Im living in a 3 bed semi and am looking to have a light and socket fitted in my shed. Its at the end of the garden. Does anyone have any idea if this a) can be done or b) how much it would cost roughly and c) anyone that can do it?
    Thaks in advance for any help, Amy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I know it CAN be done because my uncle did it for me. Not sure how much it would cost but the wire going out to the shed from the house is three or four times thicker than indoor wire and he needed to install a box outside the house (not sure but think it was for meeting the two wires). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have a feeling there are ESB regulations relating to running juice to another building. Get a qualified electrician.

I agree about the qualified electrician. But can't see why the ESB would have a problem if it is done properly and the electricity is being paid for. The Uncle that did it for me is a qualified electrician, I wouldn't have gotten just anyone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

all I know is that in the big DIY book I have it show how to do this, but says that you have to properly connect the feed into the houses junction box (ie you can't just run a spur off an existing cable, or from a socket) and use a particular grade of cable. This is a british book but I'd imagine the regulations are similar here (and I'm not saying yours hasn't been done properly).

Thats actually exactly how he did it. There is a junction box outside the house and a thick high grade wire runs from the outside of the house to the shed. But probably should have mentioned that I had it done by a proper electrician, was just letting op know that it can be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement