Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on which of 2 bmx frames to use for a full rebuild

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've got 2 bmx's that both need some work, 1 needs a crank the other a good overhaul.

My own bike is an old (1st generation) Haro Mirra 540 air, the other bike is also a harro but im not quite sure on which model. The frame looks similar to my 540 air, it's a few years newer has 3pc cranks, i think it could have been a revo or zippo.

As i want a 3pc crank for my own i was just going to swap he bits i like to the frame with the 3pc crank. However, with both bikes stripped down to the frame a with side by side comparison i noticed 1 frame has a different rake to the fork, shorter back end and the seat post is also at a different angle.

Being 6ft tall which frame do you think is better suite to me? I know shorter back end means easier manuals. I vaguely remember cycling the other bike and thinking it felt weird compared to my own.

So Haro Mirra 540 air vs zippo/revo/un-known frame

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

From my memory of the last time I saw a zippo/revo they were small bikes. If your 6ft tall, it won't suit you more than likely. The Mirra 540 air would probably suit you better.
    Without meaning to sound elite-ist/bike snobby/condescending, both frames you've mentioned are a generation or 2 (possibly 3?) behind modern bikes/frames that are being sold now. I can't comment if they are good or not as I've never ridden either. I do remember that there were several versions of the 540 air...some were main tube 4130 and the back end high tensile steel (and hence heavy).

Maybe try pricing a new complete bike. It could work out to be cheaper in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

3 generations :D I think the mirra 540 air might even be 4-5 gen old! The mirra 540 is my own bike, must have it 5 years or so, i htink the main tube is 4130. The zippo/revo, which ever it, is very similar in design to the 540. I've only riden this other bike when my friend owned it, remember never really finding it as comfortable as my own, strange bike and all...

I think i'll stick with the 540 air, just a crank to change over. Will put the 2 bikes side by side again with with wheels in and a tightened fork to compare.

It prob is quite a heavy bike alright. I've not used it in a year or 2 maybe longer. I'm not really willing to go out and buy a new bike for 2 reasons mainly
    I can't afford one at the moment and
    I don't know if I can get back into it or stick to it to justify getting a new bike.

I've also got 2 different fork, both also haro. I've got a regular one and one where the fork legs extend past the pegs (preferred choice to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

blatant plug check out my sig for parts / new frame whatever :p

REALLY WANT TO GET RID OF IT

Advertisement