Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timer switch for extract fan

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm not an electrican, so hopefully you can help.
    Trying to find switches for a some shower extract fans that have a built in timer in them. The idea is you press the switch and the fan runs for a few minutes, then switches off automatically. Is there anything like this on the market?
    Thanks,
    d2ww

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

d2ww wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm not an electrican, so hopefully you can help.
    Trying to find switches for a some shower extract fans that have a built in timer in them. The idea is you press the switch and the fan runs for a few minutes, then switches off automatically. Is there anything like this on the market?
    Thanks,
    d2ww
    try any good electrical wholesaler try kellegher elec they have quite a large stock they should be able to recommend something to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds like a good idea ok, but I have not come across a switch that does this, I normally install a 3 pole isolator switch and its the fan itself that has the timer, some of the wiring is done through the light which is why the fan comes on when the light is switched on and the fans built in timer allows it to remain on for a few mins after light is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

have you thought of a switch similar to the one used for stairwell lighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

you could buy a 4'' timer fan that does the job all on its own and all you have to do is wire it to the lighting circut in the batroom or you could put it on its own time delay switch which come in two forms. pneumatic and electronic.
    a good elec wholesaler should have both the switches and the timed fans.
    if your bathroom is upstairs and the vent goes into the attic ied recomend an inline timed fan as they dont fit directly to the ceiling but to a joist over the bathroom and due to this tend to be less noisey. only a small vent is required in the batroom ceiling making the install a bit neater.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Do the extractor fans have to have a timer, could i have a separate switch that turns them off straight away, is there any regulation here. I have windows in all my bathrooms.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    you could buy a 4'' timer fan that does the job all on its own and all you have to do is wire it to the lighting circut in the batroom or you could put it on its own time delay switch which come in two forms. pneumatic and electronic.
    a good elec wholesaler should have both the switches and the timed fans.
    if your bathroom is upstairs and the vent goes into the attic ied recomend an inline timed fan as they dont fit directly to the ceiling but to a joist over the bathroom and due to this tend to be less noisey. only a small vent is required in the batroom ceiling making the install a bit neater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Some great advice, thanks. I didn't particularly want the fan to come on every time the light is on, as it would be just drawing heat out of the rooms unnessessarily at times. I will drop down to O'Reilly's later to see what they say. I did have a look at the MK and LeGrand websites, but couldn't find anything.
    I was also thinking of something similar for a recirculating pump for the hot water in my new kitchen. The pump will be on a timer anyway, so it would be for those inbetween times during the day.

Advertisement