Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a 3pc crank from a bmx

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

How do you remove a 3pc crank from a frame without destroying it?

I have 2 frames to build a bike with (or 2 bikes) 1 has a 3pc crank in it the other i have a 1pc crank for courtesy of shagman (if you read this, yes I still haven't fitted the crank :o )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Prolly need a crank extractor tool. Without seeing it, it's hard to say.

Bring it to local shop, they could do it in minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

There is no local shop near me that would have the tool :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Depends on the crank in question. Tools arent really necessary for bmx cranks. Mine slide on and off by hand. Some might need a bit of persuusian with a mallet or something.
    What cranks are they? Are they sealed or unsealed? It's got to be an American bottom bracket if its an older Haro your taking off/putting them onto?

It's an older Haro, US Bottom Bracket, it's a cartridge bottom bracket prob not sealed, see thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055330433 i'll google some pics of a similar crank.

I've not been home since i took the 2 bikes apart so haven't really tried to get it out as such, they didnt slide anyway.

EDIT: similar to these catridge bearings:
    IMG_3697.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Yeah, should be a a bolt or two depending on the crank arm design, you'll need to loosen these and tap a crank arm off, then tap the spindle thru the bottom bracket and use something to put inside the bottom bracket and beat the bearings out (make sure you work around the bearing to tap it out evenly, you don't want to damage the bearing). How I hated working on american BB's!

• Advertisement

The arms are long of, only thing left on the frame are bearing cups and the BB.

That the spindle just taps out is new to me! I remember putting a in a dmr 3pc crank in my own bike and it had shims/rings put over the spindle so it didn't move, maybe i done some thing wrong back then :rolleyes:

I'l be home sometime this week i'll give it a go

Advertisement