Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is Rent Supplement for Disability Allowance on average?

• 07-07-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Just wondering. I'm looking to get a place back in Cork but I can't afford it without supplement. I won't be able to get a job for a while either. I qualify it but I'm wondering how much I might get, so I can factor that into my house search.

Not sure where else to ask as the disability form is very slow.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours. I know you think it's a little quite in here but it has a much higher signal to noise ratio than after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Unfortunately when 0 signal to 0 noise is higher it's a pretty futile effort. I'll try State Benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Ring the council down there and ask them. Best advice I can give you.
    As far as I know it's on an individual basis.

Really angry at the moment. Having trouble finding anywhere that accepts RA. I asked on the PROC forums and I got a load of stupid, logic defying right wing nutjobs saying how the world will be a better place when people like me accept we have no right to such politically correct nonsense, and preceeded to make jokes about how they'd push people in wheelchairs down stairs if they gave them the same attitude(standing up for themselves in otherwords).

Really raging at the moment. I might end up with nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

the forum where people were ripping on you, is it on boards.ie? if so report the post its the little exclamation mark under everyones name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cork Student, are you still a student? If you're in a uni/college did you consider contacting a member of your students union to help you out in finding somewhere?

Will wrote: »
    the forum where people were ripping on you, is it on boards.ie? if so report the post its the little exclamation mark under everyones name.

No, it's PROC. One of the stupidest and most nasty forums I've been on I've concluded. I have nobody on my side at all.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?t=136542

Well, it's not really a site designed for that kind of thing unfortunately.

One model reply:

"whinge whinge whinge

you should be happy with your free bus and parking .. you dont see me complaing when im circuling paul st carpark and you lording it in your handicapped space

****in tard"

If he said this to me in person, I would kick him the face.

Ok, but to get back to your issue, are you a student still and have you contacted your students' union to get assistance?

• Advertisement

No, I graduated recently.

Have you contacted the department of social welfare?

Yes. Everywhere we ring wants to put us onto someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sleepsatnight

Just wondering. I'm looking to get a place back in Cork but I can't afford it without supplement. I won't be able to get a job for a while either. I qualify it but I'm wondering how much I might get, so I can factor that into my house search.

Not sure where else to ask as the disability form is very slow.

Hi,

You won't qualify for rent supplement if you work full time. Go to your local welare officer and ask for the rent limits, each area is different so you'll need to check in case you rent a place that is over the max rent limit.

There are a few other things you'll need to get from the landlord and that but the local CWO will be able to help you!

Good luck!:)

Woahhh cork student. Ive read your thread or the first 3 pages of it on the other forum and your very aggressive, unreasonable, insulting and abusive and from how it reads you started it all!

I can understand its frustrating for you with your current predicament, but if you adopted a better approach you might find you have more success. "people skills" are pretty important if you want to get places in life be you able bodied or not.

While it may be discrimination that a landlord decides who he does and does not rent to, you need to be able to understand his side of the story also, and that might help you in the long run.

For example if you have 2 30 year old side by side. One is an irish white lawyer, and the other is an african refugee the landlord is going to choose the white lawyer. Im not saying this because of racism, but that is reality, it doesnt matter about it being political or socially correct or not. If someone buys a house they have the right to let it to who they want, who they think will look after it the best for them and not cause them troubles.

What you need to do to improve your situation is accept the reality of the situation your in and think of ways to beat the system that is frustrating you.

If indeed rent allowance is paid for by Direct Debit into the landlords account that is a great sales pitch for you. You tell the landlord that its guaranteed to be on time every single month because of the DD so its a positive thing for them, not a negative thing. Dont go through real estate agents, go direct to the landlord themselves. Tell them your are extremely well behaved, never have parties, dont make noise, very clean and your rent is guaranteed by DD every month. Sounds like a perfect tenant to me, and if you visit him with the attidude that you are a nice normal guy who doesnt have a chip on his shoulder (thats just the impression I got from your previous thread) you should get along just fine.

Alternatively get the RA paid into your personal account and dont tell the landlord you are using RA

Smile be friendly and give a good sales pitch, make it happen for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sleepsatnight

Just to pick up on the DD for rent allowance, again it depends on the local policy of the community welfare office, but you must remember that you as the tennant will have to pay a contribution to the rent yourself as far as I'm aware it's 13 Euro a week, so while the money paid by the cwo may go into the landlords bank account you will also have to put your share in aswell!

I can't rememeber if I said before but I don't think you qualify if your in full time education or full time work so if you are still in collegue this isn't an option for you.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This should be in the State Benefits forum.

To answer the original question, there is a maximum rent that the CWO will consider being charged by your landlord. This is €75 for a room in a shared house or €115 for your own place weekly. Anything above this ceiling and your supplement application may not be considered. Also you will have to contribute a minimum of €13 to the rent yourself.

Yeah, it is difficult to find landlords that are willing to accept rent supplement and usually the accomodation they offer isn't the best, but keep at it. See if Threshold hold accomodation clinics in Cork.

I've been emailing every vaguely suitable place I see on daft and every single one that replies says the same thing, RA not accepted. Given this is a pretty random sample space the

This is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I dislike El Rifle's attitude. They were defending the Landlord's right to discriminate and put me in this situation. One of them in particularly got extremely aggressive defending his "rights" and would only state what his rights were without defending why he should have them(and in some cases he wasn't even correct, legally). That's the definition of "unreasonable"(as well as when people go for style over substance).. It's not a reality of life, it's just a stupid loophole that the state should really look into fixing.

I shouldn't have to go to extra effort where other people would. I've done nothing wrong. If I was well enough to get a good job with my degree I worked hard at I would but I'm underdoing therapy at the moment and I really can't. This is a totally unfair situation and I have no respect for the scumbags that defend the right of other people to force me into this situation.

I'm going to end up stuck with my parents and I'll go mad and I'll be miserable. Becase poor social skills are part of my disability I simply can't do many of the things people ask me. I CAN'T pitch myself, no matter how hard I try. I can't go to landlords and push things like that. Most of the time you're dealing with the housemates, rarely landlords, and they're not going to go to that kind of effort. The amount of interviews I went through and didn't get for my work placement, and they all said the same thing. Of course my parents should be doing things for me like this since I'm autistic but they're not sure what to do either.

Anytime you ring anyone they want to put you onto someone else. Nobody wants to deal with anything. This country is full of some of the most unhelpful gits on earth.

snubbleste wrote: »
    This should be in the State Benefits forum.

To answer the original question, there is a maximum rent that the CWO will consider being charged by your landlord. This is €75 for a room in a shared house or €115 for your own place weekly. Anything above this ceiling and your supplement application may not be considered. Also you will have to contribute a minimum of €13 to the rent yourself.

Yeah, it is difficult to find landlords that are willing to accept rent supplement and usually the accomodation they offer isn't the best, but keep at it. See if Threshold hold accomodation clinics in Cork.

€75? That's ridiculous. I was told it was €400 a month. And I can't add to it myself? It'll be nearly impossible to find a decent place for 75 a week. I need a large room as because of my disability I tend to have to keep myself a lot.

Threshold are useless, emailed them at the start of the week and never got a reply. Almost nobody has any answers, and every single answer I have gotten has conflicted. First it was 100 a week, then it was 400 a month, now it's even less.

I've been emailing every vaguely suitable place I see on daft and every single one that replies says the same thing, RA not accepted. Given this is a pretty random sample space the

This is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

I dislike El Rifle's attitude. They were defending the Landlord's right to discriminate and put me in this situation. One of them in particularly got extremely aggressive defending his "rights" and would only state what his rights were without defending why he should have them(and in some cases he wasn't even correct, legally). That's the definition of "unreasonable"(as well as when people go for style over substance).. It's not a reality of life, it's just a stupid loophole that the state should really look into fixing.

I shouldn't have to go to extra effort where other people would. I've done nothing wrong. If I was well enough to get a good job with my degree I worked hard at I would but I'm underdoing therapy at the moment and I really can't. This is a totally unfair situation and I have no respect for the scumbags that defend the right of other people to force me into this situation.

I'm going to end up stuck with my parents and I'll go mad and I'll be miserable. Becase poor social skills are part of my disability I simply can't do many of the things people ask me. I CAN'T pitch myself, no matter how hard I try. I can't go to landlords and push things like that. Most of the time you're dealing with the housemates, rarely landlords, and they're not going to go to that kind of effort. The amount of interviews I went through and didn't get for my work placement, and they all said the same thing. Of course my parents should be doing things for me like this since I'm autistic but they're not sure what to do either.

Anytime you ring anyone they want to put you onto someone else. Nobody wants to deal with anything. This country is full of some of the most unhelpful gits on earth.

Ok so your problem is a bit more complicated to get around then I first thought. Just look at it this way, every problem has a solution, and you just need to go about finding that solution in the right way. So it seems the standard way of getting there is not working for you, so try and think outside the box a little bit. Print all your emails and rejections letters etc, and then ring up your local press, national press, tv stations etc. and tell them all these landlords refuse to rent to someone on rent allowance - if there is a flaw in the system as you see it then who is going to change it unless people like yourself shake the apple cart. The press are always looking for news and something like this would be right up their street. Point out the flaw in the system in public and perhaps someone in the government will be forced to help you out. Ring up Joe Duffy if your speech is ok, or write him a letter.
    Keep pushing until you get results you need it mightnt be easy but you'll feel all the better when you succeed.
    Channel the anger to get you where you want to go

• Advertisement

I'd like to organise a bunch of people to try and email the Last Word about it, like happened in the 3 Broadband thread. I'm wondering where I should do it. I don't really want to go on myself though. My tone is pretty awfully pedantic.

I'd like to organise a bunch of people to try and email the Last Word about it, like happened in the 3 Broadband thread. I'm wondering where I should do it. I don't really want to go on myself though. My tone is pretty awfully pedantic.

I wouldnt worry about your tone, do it anyway. You dont need a bunch of people either you can do it yourself if you put enough time into it, no need to be nervous about it. just write to every paper, and call every news show like tv3 for example. Its your fight, if you go looking for other people to help you fight it you might end up being disappointed
    Have you thought about saying to the landlords "do you accept disability allowance"? instead of rent allowance? Perhaps that might put you in another bracket in the landlords mind as opposed to someone who is unemployed and has the potential to be an "undesirable type" of person they want in their house. Also explain in your emails how it goes directly to their account, how you are a professional young man who does X, and how you will be an excellent tenant etc

Yes, and I even explained the full situation to a few.

Advertisement