Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filler

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

What the f*ck like? What the hell is the reason of giving us 30 filler arcs when there is actually Manga with proper story lines that they still haven't animated?

I'm talking about Naruto here but I'm sure it isn't the only show that does it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Its usually to give the mangaka time to get further ahead in the story so that they can animate a run of say 30 eps at once. In Narutothough they can make 2 chapters into a series :rolleyes: I stopped watching it because it took so fvcking long ot do anything! btw where are they in it now?

Bleach does poor fillers as well but I just skip them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Uhm, they found Sasuke, he's got a badass sword, him and Orichimaru got away, Naruto doesn't think Sai's that bad a guy even if he does wear a belly top... Yup that's about 50 eps there.

hmmm Ive read all thats out for the manga and its waaaayyyy ahead. There are plot turns that are genuinely suprising and plenty of shocks, which I wont spoil for you. Im suprised they've gone to filler when they have so much material to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Are you serious? There's definitely loads more ahead of that with some really promising Akatsuki fights.

Sigh, time to dust off the old death threat pad I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

fitz0 wrote: »
    Bleach does poor fillers as well but I just skip them
    OMG!
    WTF?
    Bleach filler was fxin Incredible!
    It really developed the characters and helped show how ichigo pregresses from relatively strong to ridiculous
    Arrancar
    !
    without fillers bleach would be 50 eps shorter, and I think it's worth filler for the character and backstory developement!
    But thats just me.
    :P

None of the fillers are written by Tite Kubo. They were just made to give him time to get ahead in the real story, so basically they're just made up - no different from fanscripts. I dont find them that interesting at all which is why I don't watch them anymore. Ive read the manag and its much better for not being interrupted by stuff like the Bounto arc.

Also Ichigo doesnt become an
    arrancer, hes the opposite a vizard

fitz0 wrote: »
    None of the fillers are written by Tite Kubo. They were just made to give him time to get ahead in the real story, so basically they're just made up - no different from fanscripts. I dont find them that interesting at all which is why I don't watch them anymore. Ive read the manag and its much better for not being interrupted by stuff like the Bounto arc.

Also Ichigo doesnt become an
    arrancer, hes the opposite a vizard
    lol.
    sorry, mix up.
    Still like em though

There was one Naruto filler episode where even I had to hold my hands up and say that was awesome. It was the one with the food ninjas and Naruto mass rasenganing to make ramen of perfect consistency.

The only one I really liked was where they tried to find out what Kakashi looks like under the mask. Sasuke wasnt all emo in that ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Your about 3 years too late to still be watching Naruto. It ended 05-25-2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

DingChavez wrote: »
    Your about 3 years too late to still be watching Naruto. It ended 05-25-2005

It's still fantastic anime, i've gone back to watch the Zabuza fight a few times it's so good

Funky wrote: »
    It's still fantastic anime, i've gone back to watch the Zabuza fight a few times it's so good
    What I do is, if the fight in th manga's good, I go and lookj up that fight in the anime, simply cause the anime suxorz!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

andgoodbye wrote: »
    What I do is, if the fight in th manga's good, I go and lookj up that fight in the anime, simply cause the anime suxorz!
    What I do is, I don't watch garbage shonen.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What I do is, I don't watch garbage shonen.
    =O
    How dare you?
    Shonen is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

You need to stop watching crappy mainstream anime. They'll always do that, they can get away with it due to their popularity and the number of episodes they're licensed for(near limitless).

If you watch anime aimed at older teens and adults you'll get a lot less of that. If you like yelling out the name of attacks and that crap try watching some awesome Super Robot anime like Getter Robo.

You need to stop watching crappy mainstream anime. They'll always do that, they can get away with it due to their popularity and the number of episodes they're licensed for(near limitless).

If you watch anime aimed at older teens and adults you'll get a lot less of that. If you like yelling out the name of attacks and that crap try watching some awesome Super Robot anime like Getter Robo.
    I don't just watch those, I watch everything. I just happen to like shonen at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I once watched an episode of Bleach where they baked a cake.

In another episode they played a game of soccer.

Seriously, filler is mostly a waste, has no character developments, and from what I see is normally badly written and boring.

Though a lot more people die in the Bleach filler than in regular Bleach. It's like they're trying to make up for it.

I once watched an episode of Bleach where they baked a cake.

In another episode they played a game of soccer.

Seriously, filler is mostly a waste, has no character developments, and from what I see is normally badly written and boring.

Though a lot more people die in the Bleach filler than in regular Bleach. It's like they're trying to make up for it.
    The filler does add character de3velopement actuallty.
    I would give an exmple but right now im in spain and this keybopard is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It shouldn't though because it has nothing to do with the true story.
    Bleach filler is much better than Naruto filler because they make it into it's own arc where as Naruto is just random episodes. I haven't watched Naruto in ages though. Last thing I saw was what Kold described, I think. I remember them finding Sasuke and the fight, or lack of fight and then that's it.

• Advertisement

The filler does add character de3velopement actuallty.
    I would give an exmple but right now im in spain and this keybopard is scary!

Its Bleach. Character development just doesn't happen in Bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

don't mind fillers arcs only happen in the long running show with a few exceptions

but the once off episodes are bad no reason for them

with the bleach arc that started, wont be seeing the great stuff that happens after the fights they left off on

naruto did not need a filler as the manga is miles ahead ,this is mostly
    a extension of his training and sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Yazacoo

OMG!
    WTF?
    Bleach filler was fxin Incredible!
    It really developed the characters and helped show how ichigo pregresses from relatively strong to ridiculous
    Arrancar
    !
    without fillers bleach would be 50 eps shorter, and I think it's worth filler for the character and backstory developement!
    But thats just me.
    :P

U liked those anoying stuffed animals!! Gah! That's why the manga is so much better there is only one good plushie!

To answer the question its because naruto is a weekly serial but the animated shows can put in almost five capters in one episode (depending on the chapter) In volume 15 of bleach half the book (about 150 pages of manga) was in one episode.
    But fillers suck. So stick to manga!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I never said that all shonen is garbage.

I just don't continue watching the crap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Yazacoo

Naruto is a great anime, and although shippuden is atm rubbish the manga has gone on to be really good... Don't count it out just yet,

K I've decided to read the manga, 2 questions though; how close are the 2? I heard there was an arc that told Kakashi's story, any idea what chapters I should be looking for there?

Actually, just watched Kakashi Gaiden on veoh... it was a bit simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Kishi has said he wants to do more on Kakashi in the manga soon i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Some show's do filler quite well, one of the most entertainig episodes of Ghost in the Shell 1st Gig was when the tachikoma goes off and becomes a little girls new pet, good stuff :)

And the filler episodes of Code Geass such as the school festival episode have been entertaining thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

robby^5 wrote: »
    Some show's do filler quite well, one of the most entertainig episodes of Ghost in the Shell 1st Gig was when the tachikoma goes off and becomes a little girls new pet, good stuff :)

And the filler episodes of Code Geass such as the school festival episode have been entertaining thus far

Agreed. The filler episodes in original series tend to be entertaining, and while not furthering the plot in any significant way, can often provide further background information on characters and such. The episode of Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk, where they reached a floor filled with magical traps was another great filler episode. The 16-bit trap never gets old. :D

Whereas in anime adaptions of manga, the episodes where they decide to bake a cake and such like, tend to be rather dull. Also, the attempts to provide interesting background information can sometimes be contradicted by the manga.

For example; in the Bleach Bount arc, Ichinose, formerly of the 11th Squad implies that the Captian who Zaraki Kenpachi killed to take command of the squad was an upstanding honourable sort.
    However, in the Turn Back the Pendulum Chapters, the assembled Captains are grumbling about the new bloodthirsty 11th Captain, also a Kenpachi but unlikely to be Zaraki as he seems to be part of the younger generation, who has just killed his predecessor to take command. They also indicate that every Captain that the 11th has ever had has been a Kenpachi, and that succession in the 11th was always decided by a fight to the death. Remember that Kenpachi is a title taken by the strongest of the generation, not a name.

Sometimes it doesn't even have any place in the chronology of the show. Just look at the Dragonball Z films or the new Bleach Amagai Shuuske arc, characters wandering around who should be dead or otherwise indisposed, characters displaying abilities and techniques that they shouldn't have achieved at the time it attempts to set itself.

Advertisement