Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody dog owners

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:00pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got chased by a Rottweiler this evening on Stocking Lane. Fortunately I was going downhill rather than up, as I didn't fancy my chances outsprinting the dog in the other direction. No sign of its owner.

Five minutes later and a little bit further down the road a woman walked right out onto the road with her dog on a leash. Had to grab a fistful of brakes to avoid bisecting a Highland Terrier. There were a couple of cars ahead of me and it was the usual story. She waited for them to go by and then walked out without checking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

they're pretty crappy dogs though, so wouldn't have been too much of a loss had you bisected it...
    aparently spraying chasing dogs with water though is a good deterent. If I hear a dog nearby i grab the bottle...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've been nipped by the same little mutt twice. I haven't seen him in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There is this little thing in Glencullen that used to run out into the road barking at me. I'd be concerned for it's safety as well as mine, it generally went flying out into the road and could be under a car as easily as my wheels. Well one day it came flying out as usual, so I screech on the brakes, turn around, and cycle back towards it. It stops dead in its tracks, petrified, whips around and starts legging it up the street. I chased it along for a good distance until it ducked through a gate to safety. Haven't had any problems with that one since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Another reason not to use footpath/cycle track combo's: If it's late and it's dark you may be able to make out the figure of a person walking, but it's very difficult to see the little puppy they have strolling alongside them. It's a scary moment when you know you were damn close to crushing a little scamp while he was still on his owners leash. Imagine! :eek:

Dogs tend not to wear hi-viz also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

My biggest fear. Meeting a dog going up hill.

Still it's what we carry pumps and water bottles for.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Dogs tend not to wear hi-viz also.

I've seen some dogs on Sandymount strand at night with those hi-viz bands from Lidl with the flashing red LEDs on them. They look class running around the beach.
    I got chased by a Rottweiler this evening on Stocking Lane. Fortunately I was going downhill rather than up, as I didn't fancy my chances outsprinting the dog in the other direction. No sign of its owner.

That's just shocking. Owners like that shouldn't be allowed keep such dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Isn't the DSPCA up there? I'll bet you get all kinds of creatures around Stocking Lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Raam wrote: »
    I've been nipped by the same little mutt twice. I haven't seen him in a while now.

If you see him out on the road again, just call the dog warden in South Dublin County Council. They'll either fine the owners or give them a bollocking, as the dog is a danger to the public / traffic.

I thought Rottweiler's were on the banned here? Isn't there something about the Dangerous Dogs Act from the early 1990's? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I find staring them out of it works for me. Bloody hate small dogs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I agree on the dog warden.
    Chris Peak wrote: »
    I thought Rottweiler's were on the banned here? Isn't there something about the Dangerous Dogs Act from the early 1990's? :confused:
    Controlled, not banned. I think they need a muzzle in public.

• Advertisement

If you see him out on the road again, just call the dog warden in South Dublin County Council. They'll either fine the owners or give them a bollocking, as the dog is a danger to the public / traffic.

I gave them a ring after the second time, but they said they can't do anything because I didn't have the owners address. Although I did have the dogs name and the general area that he lives in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

After been bitten and pulled off the bike by a pikey alsation (encouraged on by its owners), I invested in some pepper spray. I've only used it in anger once but it was a very impressive deterrent. Some might say its a little nuclear, but the dog gets over it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

After been bitten and pulled off the bike by a pikey alsation (encouraged on by its owners), I invested in some pepper spray. I've only used it in anger once but it was a very impressive deterrent. Some might say its a little nuclear, but the dog gets over it eventually.

Did you use it on the dog or the owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, fit your bikes with a helicopter style wire cutter for those times when theres a long leash between dog and owner. :)

http://www.heliaust.com.au/images/product/extra_image/Wire-Strike-Cutter-Below.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

Pepper spray is the way to go for the cyclist to bite back... but is it legal here ?

A dog's nose is so much more sensitive than a human's, so even a few molecules of pepper spray will teach a lesson he is unlikely to forget. The effects will wear off in half an hour and you are probably doing the dog a favour by making it less likely that he will chase cyclists in the future.

The ultrasonic Dog Dazer http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp sounds fine in theory, until you meet a deaf pitbull.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

If the dog is small or obedient enough, a loud, sharp "GO TO BED!" will send it scurrying away :pac:

I get such a fright though when see or hear a dog making a beeline for me.

The worst is when you see one behind a gate in a driveway yapping his head off, and he suddenly nips off in the opposite direction and you just know he's going to appear out of a hole in a hedge 50m down the road! :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

fish-head wrote: »
    Isn't the DSPCA up there? I'll bet you get all kinds of creatures around Stocking Lane!

Yes, it is. I wondered for years why there seemed to be so many barking dogs in that valley until I realised it was there. However, last night's dog was encountered near the entrance to the Hellfire Club, which leads me to suspect it was someone out for a walk who'd let the dog off the leash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No such thing as a banned dog list in Ireland.

We have whats called a 'restricted breeds list', which basically mean's that the dogs on the list should never be allowed in public without a muzzle, a short leash, in the care of a person under 16, licenced and wearing a collar and ID disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I find staring them out of it works for me. Bloody hate small dogs though.

Dogs don't think like humans usually, but in this case they do. Like humans, staring a dog out of it can be taken as an act of aggression by the animal. It's not something I'd recommend.
    I haven't been chased by dogs very often, but a firm loud command should usually send them away. That's not aggression, it's just you letting the dog know you're more important than him.

Normally, they aren't interested in biting, they just like barking because they're dogs and that's what they do.

When they do bite, you gotta blame the owners. I like how this thread is titled "bloody dog owners" rather than "bloody dogs".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I like how this thread is titled "bloody dog owners" rather than "bloody dogs".

You know I almost entitled it "bloody dogs" until I realised that it was hardly a dog's fault he was loose on the road.

Having said all this, I've had more near misses with sheep. At least dogs are somewhat predictable. Sheep just seem so dumb and you never really know what they're going to do.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    You know I almost entitled it "bloody dogs" until I realised that it was hardly a dog's fault he was loose on the road.

Having said all this, I've had more near misses with sheep. At least dogs are somewhat predictable. Sheep just seem so dumb and you never really know what they're going to do.

While running on the West Highland Way recently, we had to pass through a narrow section full of these lads.

Highland%20cow%20small.jpg

I've never been so frightened of a cow in my life.

Raam wrote: »
    I've never been so frightened of a cow in my life.

Looks like he should be in the Ramones.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Pepper spray is the way to go for the cyclist to bite back... but is it legal here ? ... The ultrasonic Dog Dazer http://www.dazer.com/dog-deterrent.jsp sounds fine in theory, until you meet a deaf pitbull.

:)

Bought a Dazer II a while back and can report that it is easily the most useless gadget I ever threw money away on. If I stick it right in my dog's earhole he might just look a little puzzled but he sure doesn't run off yelping like the literature says. It seems to be functioning, as I can see dust vibrating on the piezo when I activate it.

Pepper spray is considered a weapon and is indeed illegal here.

Dogs on leads are definitely a big danger. My brother was descending in the Dublin Mountains once when a dog owner stepped out and took my bro' out with the lead. He was unconscious for a day or two and was lucky he wasn't killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

. However, last night's dog was encountered near the entrance to the Hellfire Club, which leads me to suspect it was someone out for a walk who'd let the dog off the leash.

I walk my dog in the Hellfire Club and up in Cruagh Wood and see that dog hanging around, often standing in the middle of the road. I think it lives in one of the houses around there and is sent out to walk itself :rolleyes:

Vel wrote: »
    I walk my dog in the Hellfire Club and up in Cruagh Wood and see that dog hanging around, often standing in the middle of the road. I think it lives in one of the houses around there and is sent out to walk itself :rolleyes:

Not what I wanted to hear. I don't use Stocking Lane that often as I prefer the climb up Edmonstown Road, but I was starting to use it more now by doing a few loops in the evenings. Keeping an eye out for that dog isn't going to add to the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I go down Stocking Lane very frequently (and up it occasionally) and I have never had any dog problems, so I'd say you can cycle easy.

Bought a Dazer II a while back and can report that it is easily the most useless gadget I ever threw money away on. If I stick it right in my dog's earhole he might just look a little puzzled but he sure doesn't run off yelping like the literature says. It seems to be functioning, as I can see dust vibrating on the piezo when I activate it.

Pepper spray is considered a weapon and is indeed illegal here.
    I agree with you about the Dazer... I tried it too and found it to be a complete waste of money.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that Pepper spray is illegal here.

There seems to be quite a varied attitude to pepper spray in various European countries. For instance in Germany pepper sprays labelled "for the purpose of defense against animals" may be owned and carried by anyone (even minors).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray#Legality

If this were a US forum, we could start talking about how many of us are packing heat when we ride.

• Advertisement

If this were a US forum, we could start talking about how many of us are packing heat when we ride.

LOL

I found this idea on another thread on the same site ! :D

04_Specialized_Roubaix_Comp_Road_Bi.jpg

Advertisement