Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody dog owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Raam wrote: »
    I gave them a ring after the second time, but they said they can't do anything because I didn't have the owners address.
    This is just nonsensical. There is no way that anyone can be expected to have the address of a dangerous dog. Are you expected to wait for him to stop attacking and then follow him home?

It could be that is an excuse from a lazy warden. First step would be to get this excuse/reason in writing. If they do give it in writing, then escalate to Director of Services and/or councillors and/or Ombudsman to get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I enjoyed that, Shirley Temple looks like a real weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is just nonsensical. There is no way that anyone can be expected to have the address of a dangerous dog. Are you expected to wait for him to stop attacking and then follow him home?

It could be that is an excuse from a lazy warden. First step would be to get this excuse/reason in writing. If they do give it in writing, then escalate to Director of Services and/or councillors and/or Ombudsman to get this sorted.

Yeah it's a bit of a cop out from them. Maybe if it happens again I'll force their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

I've an old copy of Richard's Bicycle book where R Ballantine gives some interesting advice to those faced with an aggressive dog on the road. He recommends shoving your pump down it's throat. If you don't have a pump, he suggests sticking your arm down the dog's throat until it suffocates. According to him, you should do this with a clear conscience, since all blame lies with the irresponsible owner who placed their dog in the position where it could endanger both you and it.
    Seems a little bit extreme, and it was removed from later editions. Still, if I'm ever faced with a crazed pitbull, I'll let you know how the arm trick works out.

BTW - I see Maplins have an ultrasonic pet deterrent on promo at the moment. Looks like a raygun and, in bold print, carries the rather arresting boast "No More Pussy!" Save your money folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've an old copy of Richard's Bicycle book where R Ballantine gives some interesting advice to those faced with an aggressive dog on the road. He recommends shoving your pump down it's throat. If you don't have a pump, he suggests sticking your arm down the dog's throat until it suffocates. According to him, you should do this with a clear conscience, since all blame lies with the irresponsible owner who placed their dog in the position where it could endanger both you and it.
    Seems a little bit extreme, and it was removed from later editions. Still, if I'm ever faced with a crazed pitbull, I'll let you know how the arm trick works out
    I think that might work better with a traditional frame pump (e.g. the long ones.) As for sticking your arm down a dog's throat, I have seen this suggestion, but often in the context of "sacrificing your arm to save your life" - it is very definately an "if all else fails."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Over the years I have tried various intimidating (or so I thought) methods of "discouraging" dogs that have chased me on the bike, including swinging my foot at them, swinging a pump at them, shouting at them, etc. Mostly I found that the dogs were very good at avoiding being hit, but even when I did connect it often just mad the dog more aggressive (shouting at them had this effect too - I suspect that several of these dogs were abused by their owners and were used to being shouted at). The one time I did get bitten was just after I had successfully hit one determined dog on the nose - it obviously never read the dog training manuals that said it should have backed off at that point :)

The only consistently successful method that I have found is to spray them with my water bottle, or spit at them if you don't have a bottle or can't reach it in time. Few animals like being sprayed and as they probably don't expect it, the shock of a blast of water is often enough to stop them in their tracks. It doesn't seem to make them more aggressive either which can only be a good thing, and of course it causes them no physical harm which is a good thing too as, as already mentioned, such behaviour from a dog is almost certainly the fault of their owner as dogs are rarely aggressive by nature (bringing out their aggression usually requires the careful, or careless, "nurturing" of a human).

As for sheep, usually a startled sheep will run towards other sheep so if you see a sheep at the side of the road you can often predict which direction it will run in based on where the other sheep are hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

doozerie wrote: »
    Over the years I have tried various intimidating (or so I thought) methods of "discouraging" dogs that have chased me on the bike, including swinging my foot at them, swinging a pump at them, shouting at them, etc.
    This article from a bicycle touring website deals with a lot of dog deterring strategies...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=194&v=11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Think I'll stick with spraying water. Apart from the personal objections I have to spraying a dog with pepper spray, getting close enough to it to hit it reliably in the eyes is just putting yourself too close to the dog's business end.

Advertisement