Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade or buy new

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here guy's, I am fairly sure this has been asked a thousand times before but.....

I have a Specialized Allez and I am thinking its time I spent some of my hard earned cash, so should I buy a new set of wheels or something for the Allez or should I buy a new bike entirely ( I would love a carbo but might look a bit of a nunce doing 2 miles per hour on it plus its used for commuting ).

I bought the Allez because I was advised ( I think here ) that the frame was well worth upgrading shen it same to it and it seems a shame to get rid of it really, I wouldn't be spending more then 1200 or so on a new bike in total.

Any thoughts ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What are you unhappy with about the bike? That's always a good start. Also, what wheels and group do you have on it at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'd be upgrading i think.

at that price level you're probably going to get a bike that has a good frame, or a good drive train, or good wheels -not all three. the frame you have is decent, what groupset do you have?

so i'd probably get some fancy wheels (where, rumour has it, there are genuine speed improvements to be had) and then look at the drive train.

do you have carbon envy too :( ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I was in the very same predicament recently. I had an Allez, nothing wrong with it particularly, but decided to upgrade. I sold it privately on Adverts.ie. I got a good price and the buyer got himself a good bike (and a few extras) for a good price. Then I went to:

http://www.mcconveycycles.com

and bought a Roubaix Elite for approx. €1300 (plus €130 of Specialized accessories free as part of the deal). Ordered on the Thursday arrived Monday. RRP in Dublin €1700-€2000 (with no accessories). I find a huge difference between the two and my times since bear that out.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

el tonto wrote: »
    What are you unhappy with about the bike? That's always a good start. Also, what wheels and group do you have on it at the moment?

its standard Sora / Tiagra derailleur stuff with Alex rims

there is nothing I dont like about it to be honest except the fat lad on board, I am convinced I can get up hills quicker with a lighter bike ( and taking the doughnut outa me gob ) :D

niceonetom wrote: »
    do you have carbon envy too :( ?

this is the real issue I think - I imagine they ride much different for some reason, they sound totally different going past me so I imagine they feel much stiffer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If it is the entry-level Allez I think I might consider getting a new bike rather than upgrading- your budget (if you can stretch it to £999/€1,260) would just about get you a nice carbon bike- something like the Planet X Dura Ace offer or the Focus Cayo from Wiggle.

I'd probably keep the Allez as a winter trainer but you could sell it on either and recoup some money for a wheel upgrade.

If you are looking for lighter I would go this way as you could spend a lot of money on the Allez and not get it that much lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

yes, carbon. everything should be made out of carbon. everything.

but really stiffness is a non issue to the likes of us, we just don't generate the power to really justify big bottom bracket clusters and headtubes. carbon is lighter though, but your doughnut point is well founded :D and shedding weight from your body is free whereas shedding weight from a bike is anything but.

i have an aluminium bike, and i'm looking to go faster so - much as i deeply desire a sexy carbon frame - i know that the performance benefit i'd get from spending the same money on wheels would be more. do you want to go faster? or do you want a sexier bike? they are not necessarily the same thing.

that said, if i were you and i did go down the upgrade route, the sora stuff would be the first thing to go. wouldn't make me any faster, i just hate sora.

while we're on the subject of carbon envy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »

I want that bike, but not in that colour scheme. Ugghh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

+1

Looks like someone threw up after eating too many fruit salad penny sweets !

That planet x looks fab ! but your right - why do I need to go faster ? I don't race anyone, I think its just me being an idiot really, if I ended up with too good a bike I would be afraid to go out in case I looked like a Fred !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm no racer myself but a lighter bike is a hell of a lot more fun to ride, especially up the hills. This is the case even if you could remove the weight from yourself easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

And I thought the yellow handlebar tape was cos he was in the yellow jersey!

• Advertisement
Advertisement