Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about credit card numbers

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:36am

In my workplace, I have to take a lot of bookings over the phone. People would be giving me their VISA car/Mastercard numbers and their expiry dates. Just to ensure that I get the number correct, I would often repeat the number back to the customer, but I would never repeat the expiry date.

If a person were in front of me as I repeated the number back, and they had a good memory, would they be able to scam the card, or do you need the expiry date as well? I asked my management and they weren't sure. Just wanted to check in case I should stop repeating the card numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

In my workplace, I have to take a lot of bookings over the phone. People would be giving me their VISA car/Mastercard numbers and their expiry dates. Just to ensure that I get the number correct, I would often repeat the number back to the customer, but I would never repeat the expiry date.

If a person were in front of me as I repeated the number back, and they had a good memory, would they be able to scam the card, or do you need the expiry date as well? I asked my management and they weren't sure. Just wanted to check in case I should stop repeating the card numbers.

I'd say your alright as long as your not also repeating the full name and address of the person who's number your calling out?.

If someone was on the phone, shouting out random numbers it would be hard to even know what the numbers relate to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

You'll be grand man. Not only would they need to remember the 16-digit number, but they would also need the 3-digit security number on the back, the name of the cardholder, the expiry date, and the card type.

If someone manages to get all that overhearing your phone call they deserve to have the details!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

You'll be grand man. Not only would they need to remember the 16-digit number, but they would also need the 3-digit security number on the back, the name of the cardholder, the expiry date, and the card type.

If someone manages to get all that overhearing your phone call they deserve to have the details!! :p

Dont need the card type. It can be found from the first 4 digits of the CC number.

Strange thing is that we don't ask for the CV2 code- only the card number and the expiry date. Should we be asking for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Strange thing is that we don't ask for the CV2 code- only the card number and the expiry date. Should we be asking for it?

The retailer take a risk when they don't have PIN or signature verification (applies to all online and phone orders). They take an extra risk again if they ship to non-card holder address, or they don't check the CVV2 code. If someone is running a scam, then your company may not be protected for any of the amount charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'd be more censured about there you are logging the details?

A4 notepad, Excel sheet, database? Who else has access to this information? And unless you are using the "Offline Mode" option which you should not be since the card holder is not present you will have to repeat ALL the details to the bank over the phone to get the authorisation number.

Advertisement