Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap external hard drive (80-160gb) for laptop?

• 08-07-2008 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Can anyone tell me where's the best place to get a cheap EXTERNAL hard drive (80-160gb maybe) to use with a laptop.
    I just want one to back up all my stuff (mp3 collection software, documents etc).

Don't really download movies so i figure i won't need anything bigger than maybe 80 (160gb at a stretch).
    Just want something nice and portable.
    Would i be able to pick one up for less than 50 euro?

Is it better to buy online (dabs, komplett etc) or would places like PC World be any good.
    Or even Lidl/Aldi? :)

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You got an Ebay Account???

Hard Drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 to Maxtor. Bought a 160GB one for $200 (about 140 euro) over here so if you can get one online I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

eBay mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Western Digital Mybook are pretty good, cheap as chips too. Try Komplett.ie or Dabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Feelgood wrote: »
    You got an Ebay Account???

Hard Drive
    cono121 wrote: »
    eBay mate

Thanks.
    That Maxtor one looks decent for 40 sterling/50 euro.
    I'd be saving a few quid over the traditional online stores alright.

But only thing is- how reliable are ebay for this stuff.
    Admittedly i recently bought an 8gb microsdhc card for next to nothing on ebay and it works great.
    But external hard drives?
    Is the ebay experience generally good for them.

Edit: Just looked at the name of the business selling the Maxtor:
    "Aryan-tech limited"- WTF?
    Way to put off potential buyers LOL. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tech77 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    That Maxtor one looks decent for 40 sterling/50 euro.
    I'd be saving a few quid over the traditional online stores alright.

But only thing is- how reliable are ebay for this stuff.
    Admittedly i recently bought an 8gb microsdhc card for next to nothing on ebay and it works great.
    But external hard drives?
    Is the ebay experience generally good for them.

As a general rule, just have a look at the sellers feedback. In the one I posted above the seller has sold over 120,000 items with very high feedback so it should be spot on.

A lot of people have reservations about eBay goods for some reason though I buy everything off it and never had any problems with anything I got. Im on my fourth external drive at this stage and all of them work a treat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

i bought my 160gig seagate external hdd off ebay....less than a year in and it broke on me...lost all my data a week or so ago...;( ..........since then iv bought a wd passport 250 gig external.....and a wd my book essential 500gig as backup...hope these dont break on me...

Fol20 wrote: »
    i bought my 160gig seagate external hdd off ebay....less than a year in and it broke on me...lost all my data a week or so ago...;( ..........since then iv bought a wd passport 250 gig external.....and a wd my book essential 500gig as backup...hope these dont break on me...

Fol what happened to the drive?. Are you sure it wasn't just the electrics on casing that broke??. If so you could try sticking your old drive into a new case and see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

komplett are selling an eternal 500GB drive for around 100 at the moment .

Advertisement