Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice

Options
  • 08-07-2008 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I'm going into fourth year BnL and I need some career advice. I've never taken college too seriously at all but miracuously I managed to get a first this year, and I am determined to maintain it next year. I did'nt apply for any internships this summer as I wanted to travel.

The problem is that I don't have a clue what I want to do!I have a feeling that I'd be an excellent accountant as it comes naturally to me. However, I worked in an accountants office a few summers ago and the work was painstakenly repetitive and boring. Also, alot of accountants are not satisfied in their careers and are far from colourful characters. I have a good memory and have a natural ability for logical argument but the incestuous leanings of the law fraternity are daunting for someone with zero connections. If I did law I'd like to work in criminal cases, commercial law is just so boring. I don't find business in general boring and I would be excited by managing my own enterprise. A job in consulting might also appeal to me as I get bored by continuous routines and enjoy new situations and challenges. Marketing and economics are two subjects that really excite me. I am really social, and interview and present myself extremely well.

Anyway, anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I have an uncle who works in commercial law. He finds it incredibly boring as of late. He wishes he could turn back the clock and practise criminal law. So, you're probably right on that point.

Also, an accountant? Do you want to crunch numbers for the next 40 years? But, if that floats your boat then go for it.

Just my two cents...

Advertisement