Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Carb Diet

• 08-07-2008 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I looking to lose about 2 stone and was thinking of going on the no carb diet. Carbs tend to go with all things bad that I eat. The only part of the day i'll miss them will be breakfast. I intend to go to the gym also 3 times a week. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You really can't do a no carb diet*. It's a low carb diet you're thinking of.

*Well, you probably could but it would be difficult and foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Gurlzie1

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi,

I looking to lose about 2 stone and was thinking of going on the no carb diet. Carbs tend to go with all things bad that I eat. The only part of the day i'll miss them will be breakfast. I intend to go to the gym also 3 times a week. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S.

You need to go onto the fitness forum and look at the nutrition stickys, they have a lot of good advice about diet and how to calculate calorie needs etc.

Diet will play a big part in shifting the weight and getting rid of the cards altogether is very hard to do, I've done it for 2 months and it's still a struggle. My diet now consists of protein, loads of veg and salads and essential fats and no carbs like potatos, rice, bread, cereal etc
    I do have carbs/sugar but they are timed around my gym sessions and that is the only time I have them. It took me a full month without any carbs/sugar to break the habit but it was well worth it.

Post your diet up and I'm sure people will be able to give you some advice about it.

Gurlzie1 wrote: »
    You need to go onto the fitness forum and look at the nutrition stickys, they have a lot of good advice about diet and how to calculate calorie needs etc.

Diet will play a big part in shifting the weight and getting rid of the cards altogether is very hard to do, I've done it for 2 months and it's still a struggle. My diet now consists of protein, loads of veg and salads and essential fats and no carbs like potatos, rice, bread, cereal etc
    I do have carbs/sugar but they are timed around my gym sessions and that is the only time I have them. It took me a full month without any carbs/sugar to break the habit but it was well worth it.

Post your diet up and I'm sure people will be able to give you some advice about it.
    Faith wrote: »
    You really can't do a no carb diet*. It's a low carb diet you're thinking of.

*Well, you probably could but it would be difficult and foolish.

Why is a no carb diet foolish? It might not be everybodys cup of tea but it doesn't make it foolish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why is a no carb diet foolish? It might not be everybodys cup of tea but it doesn't make it foolish.

Because most vegetables and fruit contain carbs. In fact, most foods have some level of carbs in them. A no-carb diet would be ridiculously restrictive and impossible to maintain in the long term, meaning you'd just pile on weight once you started reintroducing carbs.

The Atkins induction diet allows you to eat 20g of carbs per day, which is already very low.

Faith wrote: »
    Because most vegetables and fruit contain carbs. In fact, most foods have some level of carbs in them. A no-carb diet would be ridiculously restrictive and impossible to maintain in the long term, meaning you'd just pile on weight once you started reintroducing carbs.

The Atkins induction diet allows you to eat 20g of carbs per day, which is already very low.

Okay thats a fair point, I thought you were meaning it was impossible to cut out rubbish carbs like bread, pasta, potato, cereals etc thats what I was thinking of as a no carb diet without getting to technical as to what has carbs vs no carbs
    Wasn't thinking of veges because a lot of diets consider veg like brocoli, green beans, spinich to be 'free' carbs and calories that don't count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Carbs in veges like brocoli and spinich are so low that on most diets are considered 'free' so you can eat as much as you like without having to count the carbs or calories in them.
    The carbs aren't that low, it's just that in green vegetables the fibre tends to be very high. Fibre doesn't get absorbed at all so you can effectively subtract the fibre content from the content to get a 'real' idea of the carb load.

Thanks for that g'em, that makes sense

Pardon me if I'm stupid and didn't read the post correctly but do I take the fibre away from the total carb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Thanks for that g'em, that makes sense

Pardon me if I'm stupid and didn't read the post correctly but do I take the fibre away from the total carb?

No. On nutrition labels in Ireland the fiber has already been deducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

S.

Hey I tried the Atkins diet before and I lost weight very fast but it went back on even faster when I quit! Over the last 3 months I've been generally eating healthy and going to the gym and I've lost alot of weight. I have cut out alot of carbs like white bread, rice, potatoes but not because I'm on a Low Carb diet-Its just because I'm eating more salads and snacking on fruit etc. I actually don't feel like I'm on a diet anymore, this is how I eat now and hopefully always will be. Whereas with a diet such as a "No Carb Diet" its not easy to maintain. One more thing - I felt like crap on the Atkins and trying to vary what I ate on it was so much effort.

I really think if you want to lose weight and keep it off that you should consider another option.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Even if you are doing a very low carb diet, I strongly recommend that you fill half your plate at each meal with leafy green vegetables or salad. Not only will you feel you have more food, but there is a lot of essential micronutrients and fibre in veggies.

Base your diet on eggs, fish (especially oily fish), meat, chicken, lots and lots of green vegetables, extra virgin olive oil, some nuts and seeds, some cheese and butter (it's better than margarine, even the low fat stuff), some fruit (stick to berries at first) and a very small amount of wholegrains like porridge. No sugar, no white flour, no transfats, no processed foods.

If you are used to eating a high carb diet, the transition to low carb may be a bit of a shock to the system. Start on a Friday so you have the weekend to get over the worst of those effects. By Monday, you should be feeling much better, with steady energy and far less hunger.

In theory, artificial sweeteners are ok on a low carb diet, but a lot of people have found that they get better results if they skip all the fake food and just eat fresh whole foods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

cozmik wrote: »

Really? I never knew this. So if beans have 20g of carbs and 7g of fibre, they really have 27g of carbs? Sorry if I have got it wrong, I'm a bit confused! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

cozmik have you got a link about that?
    Really? I never knew this. So if beans have 20g of carbs and 7g of fibre, they really have 27g of carbs? Sorry if I have got it wrong, I'm a bit confused! :o

This could get a bit pedantic...

If you're low-carbing by rights the ONLY carbs you should be eating are from high-fibre vegetables in which case there's really no need at all to carb-count or worry about fibre mathematics.

Beans and legumes are high-carb in nature so if they're in your diet just eat them and enjoy them and don't worry too much about the nuances of their carb: fibre content.As long as the carbs in your diet are not from refined sugar/ processed grain sources then you're doing fine.

Don't think so. If you add the calories from the total carbs, to the calories from protein and fat, it adds up to the total calories amount. American labels often don't, for some reason.

Don't think so. If you add the calories from the carb figure, to the calories from protein and fat, it adds up to the total calories amount. American labels often don't, for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah I just picked that example at random, as an illustration. I meant it could be anything and not just applicable to low-carbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 phundamentalz

If you're going to the gym 3 times a week you need carbs bro. The low-carb fad is that, a fad. eat healthy carbs and work out. your muscles and brain need carbs to function. working out on a low-carb diet is like driving a car without petrol in it trust me

If you're going to the gym 3 times a week you need carbs bro. The low-carb fad is that, a fad. eat healthy carbs and work out. your muscles and brain need carbs to function. working out on a low-carb diet is like driving a car without petrol in it trust me

Got evidence to back that up? Your muscles and brain CAN use carbs, but they can also use ketones. The very small amount of essential glycogen can be made from carbs or protein.

There's a lot of research coming out now to show that a low carb diet is the way to go for fat loss. This month's issue of Fitness RX has a big piece on lifting weights while eating low carb.

So if beans have 20g of carbs and 7g of fibre, they really have 27g of carbs? Sorry if I have got it wrong, I'm a bit confused! :o

Here's an example.
    A manufacturer may list an item as having 10 grams of carbohydrates and 9 grams of fiber.

The dieter may assume that this item has an effective carb count of 1 gram.

But this is incorrect, since the manufacturer has already subtracted the fiber.

The food item actually had 19 grams of carbohydrates.

How do we know if the manufacturer has already subtracted the fiber?

By calculating the coloric composition of the food item.

The label in the above example would have stated 40 calories from 10 grams of carbs. Since 1 gram of carbs contains about 4 calories, this indicates that the fiber has alreay been subtracted (since the 40 calories account for 10 grams of carbs).

Had the label stated 19 grams of carbs, you would expect 76 calories. But since the label stated 40 calories, this confirms the fiber has already been subtracted.

g'em wrote: »
    cozmik have you got a link about that?

Q: I just bought a can of imported tomatoes. The label says 3 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber. I checked it against another can of US tomatoes and that can says 4 grams carbs, 1 gram fiber. Does the imported tomatoes have less carbs???

A: Unfortunately no. International and European labelling laws are different. The total carbs listed in most International and European labels are Net Carbs no further subtraction necessary. If you're in doubt, use a Hidden Carb Calculator.

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/atkins-diet-14-day-induction/5918-net-carbs-added-sugar-labels-fast-food-links.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

First time I heard of that one.

I have wheat bran
    Protein 14.1%
    Carbs 26.8
    Fat 5.5
    Fibre 36.4

Adds up to 82.8%, which sounds about right, most dry grains are 10-15% water. This US site lists wheat bran as carb 65g, fibre 43g. So that adds to more than 100, so it does seem it is listed as a "carbs- of which fibres", just like here we have "carbs- of which sugars" http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5742/2

I have spotted mistakes on nutritional info before, just spotted one yesterday on some dunnes bread, the serving was 98g yet had more calories than the 100g listing.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    so it does seem it is listed as a "carbs- of which fibres", just like here we have "carbs- of which sugars"

Correct! On a US label,the fiber is indented under the total carbs. On a European label, it is listed separately because it was already deducted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thank you all for your help. Best reply ever to a thread of mine.

I will go for a low carb diet. It seems to be the way forward. I'll be back on with my results in due time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

are potatoes really that bad? I mean I have like one at dinner time, or a small bit of wholemeal pasta, really small. How many calories/carbs would be in a half-a-tennis ball sized potato do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Atkins-style low-carb way of eating was a fad, but it is being realised that there was a lot right with it too.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    are potatoes really that bad?

No they are not bad! Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.They've just gotten a bad reputation from whiny low carbers because they are a starchy carbohydrate. It's the high fat high calorie toppings like butter that people slather all over their spuds that are bad for you.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I mean I have like one at dinner time, or a small bit of wholemeal pasta, really small. How many calories/carbs would be in a half-a-tennis ball sized potato do you think?

One medium plain potato boiled (170g) has about 150 calories and 33g of carbohydrate (12% rdi)

regards

cozmik

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a zero carb diet. The inuit ate a zero carb diet before western food was introduced. They had no deficiencies and heart disease and cancer were unheard of. But unfortunately, about .0001% of people can stick to this diet (myself included).

I have been eating a low carb high fat for a year and a half now, I've lost 4 stone and have never felt heathier or more energetic in my life.

Unlike carbs, fats are essential for living, people who eat zero fat would be dead within months.

I find the posts about people who try low carb saying that they put the weight back on when they started eating 'normally' very amusing. What made you fat in the first place huh? Insulin is the fat storage hormone. Fact. Carbs raise insulin. Fact. 2+2 = 5?

The great thing about calling something a fad is that you can dismiss something without backing up what you say with any tangible evidence. Please tell me one unhealthy thing about cutting out carbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

butter is absolutely fine to use when cooking and on food

Butter is a major source of MCT (medium chain trigylcerides) and the following research paper showed is better than OLIVE oil for weight loss

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition Mar 2008

"Consumption of MCT oil as part of a weight-loss plan improves weight loss compared with olive oil and can thus be successfully included in a weight-loss diet. Small changes in the quality of fat intake can therefore be useful to enhance weight loss".

So yes it IS the potatoes that are the problem NOT the topping. If you have trouble dropping fat then potatoes are NOT an option. If you are already fairly slim or are in good shape then the rules are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Obesity research Mar 2003

"Consumption of a diet rich in MCTs results in greater loss of AT compared with LCTs, perhaps due to increased energy expenditure and fat oxidation observed with MCT intake. Thus, MCTs may be considered as agents that aid in the prevention of obesity or potentially stimulate weight loss".

Again, its not the butter, coconut oil, palm oil thats the problem its the bloody stuff they are having with it

e.g. a nan bread and loads of rice with the coconut based thai/indian meal
    The 4 slices of bread with butter
    Butter on 2-3 large potatoes
    etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

neddas wrote: »
    I find the posts about people who try low carb saying that they put the weight back on when they started eating 'normally' very amusing. What made you fat in the first place huh? Insulin is the fat storage hormone. Fact. Carbs raise insulin.
    But also peoples version of "normal" can mean going back to the calories they used to eat. I think the average Irish person eats 3,500kcal per day, in which case they will probably get fat again no matter what it is they eat, if they are just lazing about all day. I have around 2500kcal a day, that 3500 is a population average, so the person next to me could be on 4500kcal.
    Transform wrote: »
    Obesity research Mar 2003

"Consumption of a diet rich in MCTs results in greater loss of AT compared with LCTs, perhaps due to increased energy expenditure and fat oxidation observed with MCT intake. Thus, MCTs may be considered as agents that aid in the prevention of obesity or potentially stimulate weight loss".

Again, its not the butter, coconut oil, palm oil thats the problem its the bloody stuff they are having with it
    One carb vice of mine is oven chips, tesco "healthy living" ones use veg oil, while the thin american tesco ones use palm oil so are arguably the more healthy ones of the 2. Also if you read the nutritional info you will see the thicker "healthy living" chips retain more water after cooking, so they appear to have less kcal per 100g while really they are around the same, just drink a glass of water with the thin ones, they are basically just diluted down.

Walkers have a baked crisp range, touted as the healthier version, I wonder which would make people fatter though. They are around the same weight as normal packs, slightly less calories. They reduced the fat alright but it is taken up with more of the highly processed potato starch.

• Advertisement

Forget anything which makes a virtue of reduced fat, or less saturated fat. It nearly always means they are crappy processed foods full of the wrong sort of carbs. Crisps, regardless of whether they are fried or baked, should be a very rare cheat food on any healthy diet, not a regular part of it.

A lot of manufacturers boast about "healthy" vegetable fats, ignoring that most liquid vegetable oil can't tolerate high temperatures, so become very unhealthy when cooked. The "bad" fats like butter and coconut or palm oil are much more stable at high temperatures, so much healthier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement