Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Woes

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

My new machine (running older wheels and new cassette) has developed an annoying knocking sound that I hear when running over rough ground. There is no rhythm to it, but it consistently happens. It appears to be coming from the rear wheel. The only thing that I can see wrong is that my cassette might be a little loose. There is a small amount of play with it, but I didn't think it would be enough to make the noise I am hearing. I took it off and reassembled it, but there was no change. Possibly the spacer inside the biggest cog isn't doing it's job. It's a 10 speed running on Mavic Krysium SLs. Any ideas or pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Have you checked for any loose or broken spokes?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nothing specific. Howevever I've often found that noises can be deceptive. You think it's coming from one part of the bike, but it's really another. For example, was bugged for the past few weeks by a rattle that manifested itself on rougher stretches of road. Was convinced it was the cables. Instead it was a bottle cage being a little too loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cheers guys, I will investigate further this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

could be any of a thousand things. Tighten every bolt you can find - better still remove, grease and tighten every bolt you can find. If you have locknuts on your valves, ensure they're tight.make sure your computer sensor cables if you have any are well taped down. Check your QRs are tight.check your seat clamp and grease your rails. It's annoying, isn't it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

there should be no play in the cassette at all, this sounds like it could be the culprit. my bike was making a similar noise, brought it in to the shop and they tightened the cassette for me; no more noise. a good way to verify its the cassette is to isolate the noise by lifting the rear wheel and dropping it to the ground. if you hear it then, thats probably it. at that point, i would bring it to the shop and make sure the its installed correctly. good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Also check if your valve stems are rattling in the rims. Took me ages to track that one down (same wheels).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    My new machine (running older wheels and new cassette) has developed an annoying knocking sound that I hear when running over rough ground. There is no rhythm to it, but it consistently happens. It appears to be coming from the rear wheel. The only thing that I can see wrong is that my cassette might be a little loose. There is a small amount of play with it, but I didn't think it would be enough to make the noise I am hearing. I took it off and reassembled it, but there was no change. Possibly the spacer inside the biggest cog isn't doing it's job. It's a 10 speed running on Mavic Krysium SLs. Any ideas or pointers?

I think it's time for new wheels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

older wheels, new cassette.

What have you done for spacers?

Can be problems with 9spd hub bodies and 10spd cassettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

There's an article on that here: http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/

Great little blog, so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think it's time for new wheels :D

Any excuse eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

And the prize for closest guess goes to.... El Tonto!
    It was a tool in my saddle bag knocking off the underside of my saddle.
    It's a good thing I didn't go into the shop asking them to look at the wheel.
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Raam, I just saw your update now. I was typing up the bit below - glad you got sorted.

I had similar problem after changing kit over, turned out that in the process I had loosened the cone on the wheel. When it rattled and banged on the roads I had to check it out. I spent a good while at the cassette and making sure it was good and tight (with the proper tool and all). I was wondering if I needed an extra spacer when the check on the cone revealed the answer. With the cone tightened it was all fine. Could be the same problem. Good luck with it.

Advertisement