Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia Problems

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm having problems with my Octavia starting every now and again, once I start the engine it cuts out every fourt or fifth time. Once I accelerate a little it usually starts - anybody any idea what may be wrong? Could it be the plugs? The car is a 00 and has been taken well care of.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Any battery warnings on the dash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Yosserh

No - no warnings on the dash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

My dad had the same problem, in his 99 octavia, it was the battery he got changed and started fine, i know he did get the starter motor changed shortly after too, so might have being both!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I had a similar problem with me Clio and all back in the day. Also had battery changed and did the trick. Well it did the trick for about 4 months.
    Then I had to get me starter motor taken out and fixed. Not replaced though. Surely its best to just fix what you have if you can rather than replacing it all the time. I wish I were a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

What engine is it, petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies - I figured it wasnt the battery since the car ticked over - it looks relatively new but I'll take another look. Its a 1.6 petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Could be a lot of things, coil packs, spark plugs, plug leads, battery, earth leads, distributor(this has to be electronic tho) to name but a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

i have exactly the same problem with my 2000 1.6
    once i put a key in it, before starting the engine, every now and then the immobilizer light is coming on
    if it is blinking then im able to start the engine but after 2-3 seconds it turns off unless i press the pedal
    do not know IF i have the immobilizer though

Thanks, your right it is the immobiliser. I went through several tests yesterday evening and it appears that every now and again I need to take out the key and insert it again. If the immobiliser light flashes when I put in the key I need to take it out and insert again. Up to this pint I didn't even know it had an immobiliser! I spoke to the Skoda garage and he told me people are always calling them with the same problem.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yosserh wrote: »
    Up to this pint I didn't even know it had an immobiliser!
    How many have you had? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Yosserh wrote: »
    Thanks, your right it is the immobiliser. I went through several tests yesterday evening and it appears that every now and again I need to take out the key and insert it again. If the immobiliser light flashes when I put in the key I need to take it out and insert again. Up to this pint I didn't even know it had an immobiliser! I spoke to the Skoda garage and he told me people are always calling them with the same problem.

Thanks for all your help.

did you ask how much it would be to fix it?

Advertisement