Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Pop Musics golden era?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Nobody imo around now as big as Abba was back in 70s/80s although i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I also remember my sister trying and failing to dress me like a member of Bros.
    LOL bless! :D
    kerash wrote: »
    however Massive Attack released Blue lines (unfinished sympathy) in 1991 - that saves the year!
    Oh don't get me wrong, 1991 is probably my favourite year for indie/alternative (although I know Massive Attack, then simply called Massive because of the first first Gulf War interestingly enough, aren't really either, but they weren't exactly mainstream). Some of the best albums ever were released that year along with Blue Lines: Screamadelica, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, Nevermind, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque...

It's just that the chart music was utterly hideous - Bryan Adams' Everything I Do, Color Me Badd's I Wanna Sex You Up, The Scorpions' Wind of Change, Amy Grant's Baby Baby, Cher's The Shoop Shoop Song, Marc Cohn's Walking In Memphis...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Heh heh heh!
    Dudess wrote: »
    It's just that the chart music was utterly hideous - Bryan Adams' Everything I Do, Color Me Badd's I Wanna Sex You Up, The Scorpions' Wind of Change, Amy Grant's Baby Baby, Cher's The Shoop Shoop Song, Marc Cohn's Walking In Memphis...

You take that back missy! You take that back!

*snicker*

*titter*

Even the members of Bros didn't want to look like members of Bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's just that the chart music was utterly hideous - ....The Scorpions' Wind of Change...

:eek: How DARE you! That is the greatest song of all time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Even the members of Bros didn't want to look like members of Bros.

I didn't want to look like a member of Bros my sister wanted me too. But i told her what she could do with them ripped jeans with the American flag on them..and then i went and watched Macgyver and played my C64.

Also Dudess The Scorpions wind of change is a classic!

• Advertisement

:( You all disappoint me.

Oh, I think you'll find it's us who is dissapointed in you.

lol

Tastes, opinions and all that...

If, with the term "golden era", we're talking in terms of the quality - in general - of chart music, my personal choice would be the late 70s/early 80s - '77 to '83 or thereabouts. Some punk was getting lots of airplay, then there was the likes of Stiff Records: Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Squeeze. There was Blondie, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army, Kate Bush debuted Wuthering Heights in '78, the Jam. 2Tone (ska): The Beat, The Specials, Madness. There was Dexy's Midnight Runners, the really good quality New Romantic stuff (Soft Cell, Visage's Fade To Grey, Japan, early Spandau and Ultravox were class, Heaven 17, Human League - quality pop). Stuff on the Postcard label up in Scotland like Orange Juice and Altered Images, Kim Wilde was the equivalent of Rihanna at the time - no comparison, and Duran Duran were pretty much the boyband of that era - Beethoven-esque compared to Weslife...

All this stuff wasn't just acclaimed at the time, it was in the top 10.
    QUOTE]

Some great bands there from that era Dudess and you mentioned Ultravox whom i was lucky enough to see at st francis xavier hall dublin in early 80s.They new how to crank up a song and this ' Mine for life ' is fcuking awesome ,all 4 and a half minutes of it.I want it played at my funeral

Dancing With Tears In My Eyes is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm with the Dudess when it comes to Scorpion, but Vienna was Ultravox's finest hour by a country mile.

• Advertisement

Dancing With Tears In My Eyes is fantastic.

Yeah, they made some great stuff and very underated in musical terms but are being rediscovered by another generation . Midge ure said that some took their image to serious when they were just rock /pop songs and vienna was only kept from no 1 spot by a novelty song .The drummer warren cann knew how to belt those drums .Sleepwalk,Hymm and Reap the wild wind were other favs

latchyco wrote: »
    vienna was only kept from no 1 spot by a novelty song .

Correct. John Lennon's Woman.
    It was also kept from number one by the fabulous Joe Dolce Music Theatre.

noby wrote: »
    Correct. John Lennon's Woman.
    It was also kept from number one by the fabulous Joe Dolce Music Theatre.

Yes, think i could handle being kept from no 1 spot by john lennon rather than shaduppa your face , i remember it well :)

The Specials' Ghost Town was kept off the number one spot by Shaky's Green Door :mad:

Er, no it wasn't. It may have been knocked off the no.1 spot, but Ghost Town got to no.1

I hate vienna think it's a terrible song. Wind of change on the other hand mentions a "donkey park" what could be better then a donkey park? I know what your thinking two donkey parks

Gorky Park I thought (in Moscow, the song is about the end of the Cold War and the fall of the Iron Curtain) but if it's "donkey park" hell, maybe I could make myself like it.
    Er, no it wasn't. It may have been knocked off the no.1 spot, but Ghost Town got to no.1
    Ah that was it. Yeah Vienna (awesome song) is regularly cited as one of those should-have-been-number-ones.

You should seek out Vic Reeves' version of Vienna. According to him, and I've no reason to doubt him, Vienna is in Belgium, and Van Morrison was born there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's definitely Gorky Park. Just a fantastic song. IT HAS A WHISTLE INTRO FFS!!!!!

Think he was joking about Donkey Park there, Dudess!

Was googling the lyrics earlier and came across this...
    The freedom bell for peace of mind
    Let your balalaika sing
    What my guitar wants to say

I thought the part in bold was something along the lines of "Reminds of something which my teacher used to say-ee-ay-ee-ay".

Cue anxious guitar solo.

• Advertisement

Ah that was it. Yeah Vienna (awesome song) is regularly cited as one of those should-have-been-number-ones.

The timing in releasing a potential hit song is what's important . The novelty song will be bought by thousends ,people like grannys who might otherwise not buy a pop/rock single therefore keeping the likes of vienna of top spot .The album Vienna had some great stuff on it like All stood still, sleepwalk, passing strangers ,new europeans ,Astradyne .

One song in particular that I just adore from 1981 (class year for music) is I'll Find My Way Home by Jon & Vangelis.
    Was he though? I mean, maybe he convinced himself so vociferously that it was "donkey park" he actually started to believe it? I, for one, wouldn't blame him...

Yes..yes i was :)

I hate vienna think it's a terrible song.

What would you know, you're just a duck.
    Vangelis

This thread is remind me of our old collection of records. I think there was something by Vangelis in there. A single, about the sinking of Venice I think. There was some really cool artwork on the sleeve with a robotic gondalier on the inside. Used to love the song as a kid, so atmospheric. Must look it up and find out what it is.

You should seek out Vic Reeves' version of Vienna. According to him, and I've no reason to doubt him, Vienna is in Belgium, and Van Morrison was born there.

This obnoxious swedish presenter didnt seem impressed when warren cann asked was venus swedish for vienna .

Knob :)

This thread is remind me of our old collection of records. I think there was something by Vangelis in there. A single, about the sinking of Venice I think. There was some really cool artwork on the sleeve with a robotic gondalier on the inside. Used to love the song as a kid, so atmospheric. Must look it up and find out what it is.
    No, that's actually La Serenissima by Rondo Veneziano, a chamber group from Venice who combined dancey rhythms with baroque style string music, and they wore all the gear from back in the 17th/18th century (the wigs, gowns etc). They're still going - naff as hell and very big in Vegas. However La Serenissima is absolute quality and has a cool vid featuring the artwork you described. That piece of music was used as the background muzak for so much stuff in the 80s and 90s...

One song in particular that I just adore from 1981 (class year for music) is I'll Find My Way Home by Jon & Vangelis.
    QUOTE]

I also loved i hear you now by vangelis :)

The Blade Runner soundtrack is astounding...

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

LOL bless! :D

Oh don't get me wrong, 1991 is probably my favourite year for indie/alternative (although I know Massive Attack, then simply called Massive because of the first first Gulf War interestingly enough, aren't really either, but they weren't exactly mainstream). Some of the best albums ever were released that year along with Blue Lines: Screamadelica, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, Nevermind, Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque...

:eek: That was bad, I seem to have blanked Bryan Adams and co. from my memory. I think I've been going with Pop=popular, rather that Pop=chart... That latter is a whole other story:D

Advertisement