Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxman cracking down on landlords avoiding tax

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see the taxman doing some good work.

Taxman cracking down on landlords, from the Independent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There must be hundreds of millions in unpaid taxes out there. The Revenue must have been waiting until the budget looked bad before cracking down, cute hoors that they are!

Will they declare an amnesty as they usually do and get people to come forward?
    From reading the link, maybe the operations in Donegal and Letterkenny were trial runs. They seemed to have been succusful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In this case, I doubt there will be any amnesty. I think they're coming in to hard enough times, so just going hard after the money.

About time they did it too.

Yeah, Donegal was a trial run. Hopefully they'll start with sections of Dublin soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Paulw wrote: »
    Yeah, Donegal was a trial run. Hopefully they'll start with sections of Dublin soon.

It's a stereotype but a lot of Dublin gardai won't be happy about this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well, i've stated on this board last year that i reported about 12 properties in one established housing estate in Dublin that were not PRTB registered.(estate contains about 80 houses, only about 3 were regged in the recent list whilst 12 were not that i found out)

About half that number i know personally are landlords evading tax, the other half are probably so.
    So yes, i reckon there is huge avoidance going on and mostly the culprits would be the recent boom buyers like homeowners who rented out and BTL's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Revenue expect a crackdown to yield an additional 350-400 million per annum in taxes (aside from penalties which will be applied on non-compliant landlords).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Great to see this.

Advertisement