Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web site design (quote within please)

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you are looking to recruit, please use adverts.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Can I just say that I don't think €300-€400 is very realistic if you want it done professionally. Multiply that by about 5 or 10.

Rgds,

Dave

Hi djb,

very simple site we're talking about here.
    A template would probably work even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

pvt.joker wrote: »
    photos of all carpets in stock

I'm afraid that saying there are 3 or 4 pages doesn't cut it if you are planning to have a complete stock list of carpets and flooring on the website.

How many carpets do you have "in stock" ? Would you be happy if a "single page" showed, say, 200 photos ?

Does each photo give you a larger version of the image, as well as a description ?

What do you want the CMS to do ?

Do you want the website to have any chance of being found if someone searches in Google for "carpets" or "flooring" ?

Yes, it might be possible to throw together something for a cheap price, but resizing the images alone to be suitable for the web could take a few hours.

But the website will be representing your business, and should be viewed as such - it's better to have no website than a bad one!

Why is good web design viewed so casually and with so much disrespect ?

You could get a half-decent static site for maybe €600, but you're looking at AT LEAST €1,000 to do a dynamic site like this properly; and if there is a lot of stock and you want a reasonable chance of being found in search engines, you should be budgeting about €2,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Only by jokers :p

I find the web industry is showing good growth at the moment, so I think people who are professional in their own industry can appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Liam Byrne wrote: »

I don't think good Web design is viewed as such. I just think that, in general, most companies don't see the value of a website and aren't willing to invest in it. It always amazes me how many companies will gladly pay thousands upon thousands for an advert in The Irish Times or The Sunday Business Post for one day yet who wouldn't pay half that for a professionally constructed shop window to the entire f**king planet which lasts for years and years!

Thankfully the market is booming at the moment with on-line spend set to soar in the next few years due to so many advertising agencies cottoning on (albeit a few years late) to the value of the digital market. Good designers and developers, thankfully, don't have to even consider doing *ahem* 'basic' websites for a few hundred quid.

Which brings me to another point - sorry to say it OP, but there's no such thing as a 'basic' website - only to incompetent, amateur designers/developers who are producing crap. Professional designers take several days to do one bespoke design. If they don't, then they're not doing their job right. And as for a 'basic' bespoke CMS - there's no such thing as that either. I wouldn't ask my dentist for a 'basic' root canal as it would be an insult to his profession. Using the word 'basic' before asking a real professional for something won't bring the cost down for you - it'll just mean that the designer walks away from you.

If you want to go down the cheap route, have a look at WordPress or Template Monster and learn what you need to learn to do a DIY job. However, a bespoke website produced by professionals ain't cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not only that, Ken, but the companies would probably spend days deciding what should be in the advert, whereas getting someone to think about what should (not what "can" or whatever) be on their website and what they want to get across is a often a mammoth task in itself.

The amount of enquiries I've gotten re "how much would a website cost ?" is nuts!

Would the same people say "how much would a van / car cost ?" or "how much would a house cost ?"; no, because common sense indicates that you - usually - get what you pay for, in terms of design, size, quality or ease-of-use.

The same applies - or rather, should apply - to websites, even BEFORE you approach a designer.

But the other thing is that that goes both ways; we recently got a contract where the owner of the company involved told me that we were the only company that actually produced a completely custom proposal - the rest of the ones that he had received were fill-in-the-blanks style.

I don't know who did those "proposals" - whether they were smaller or larger operations - but the thought struck me : if web design companies use templated proposals, how can we crib if people want to use templated designs ?

True, proper proposals cost time and money, but if you work with a client to figure out what they really want, and they put in the effort and back it with a decent budget, then the end-result is best for both; a good website for them and a good addition to your portfolio.

can a mod please delete this thread thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted pvt.joker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement