Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is MSG and why is it *bad*?

• 08-07-2008 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, I've heard on and off over the last few years that MSG is a "bad thing" that is in many foods nowadays.

What is it, why is it used, and why is it so bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm no expert, but it's a flavouring that's basically salt, isn't it. It's in a lot of canned/proceessed/dried foods, and takeaways (although it's probably in a lot more foods than we realise.
    There are a lot of bad things said about it, but the simplest argument that I use is if you need to put this in the food to make it taste good, then what does that say about the food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Mono-sodium Glutomate (sp)

It's an addictive additive. It's what makes you crave things like crisps and takeaways, etc. that use it and can cause bloating and cramps. I think it's based on a compound found in certain sea creatures (that could be Bad Science, though, don't take my word) but it's man-made.

If you avoid it for a couple of weeks, then eat something with it in, you'll notice a differency in terms of effects on your health. Anything that can have that bad effect can't be good, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd take this whole MSG thing with a pinch of salt. It occurs naturally in tomatoes, Parmesan (in large quantities), peas amongst other things. Originally it was made by boiling seaweed - it enhances flavour. It's the reason why Parmesan makes food taste better! You'd have to cut out too many foods to eliminate it from your diet. If you're feeling ill from eating too many Chinese take-aways - it's not a result of the glutemates.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1614469,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It's naturally occuring in seaweed and is extracted from it. It's pretty much used like salt in Asian Cooking. Salt has it's bad sides too but it's grand as long as you don't overdo it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Des - you are sure are going to great lengths to analyze yesterdays loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I understand it to be the fifth taste, Sweet, Salty, Sour, Bitter and Umami.
    It is present in many foods celery, tomato, mushroom are all high in naturally occuring glutamates.
    I think the problem lies where people overuse it, it has a strange effect on my palate where I can feel it on the sides of my tongue.
    I have a jar of Aji-no-Moto and have had it for many years, occasionally I will substitute half a measure of salt with it and it has an amazing effect.
    I don't use it all the time but sometimes it particularly enhances certain dishes.
    If it so bad for you why aren't there more health scares from asia where it is widely used?
    E621 is the code for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

MSG isn't bad for you in itself, though some people suffer intolerence to large amounts.

Where the "bad for you" bit comes in is that MSG is used to enhance the flavour of poor quality ingredients, thereby allowing takeaway restaurants to use crappy ingredients and add MSG to make them palatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it. Certainly there is no consistent evidence that it has any negative health effects or that certain people are especially sensitive to it.

Advertisement