Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Prius to be unveiled in Jan 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have yet to be convinced the Prius isn't an example like 'the empreror's new clothes'. The cost/environmental/life-span impact of the batteries and their disposal would be uppermost in my mind. Added to that is that personally I don't do much town/city stop-start driving - so I have the weight penalty of hauling around those big, heavy batteries.

As for plug-in cars - well that's just transfering the pressure onto power-plants isn't it?

Mind you bio-fuels have been blown out of the water as a viasble alternative in recent months also.

I wouldn't be getting over-excited about any of these at the moment - it's early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

pburns wrote: »
    I have yet to be convinced the Prius isn't an example like 'the empreror's new clothes'. The cost/environmental/life-span impact of the batteries and their disposal would be uppermost in my mind. Added to that is that personally I don't do much town/city stop-start driving - so I have the weight penalty of hauling around those big, heavy batteries.

As for plug-in cars - well that's just transfering the pressure onto power-plants isn't it?

Mind you bio-fuels have been blown out of the water as a viasble alternative in recent months also.

I wouldn't be getting over-excited about any of these at the moment - it's early days.
    Let me see:
    - hybrids don't work cos of heavy batteries and their disposal
    - plug-ins don't work cos the pressure is transferred to power plants
    - bio-fuels don't work either

Are you sure you don't work for an oil company (or have been sucked in by one)?

People pay the same for alloys but i think solar panels on my car would be far cooler.
    While I like alloys, I have to admit solar panels would be very cool, and a lot more practical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

JHMEG wrote: »
    Let me see:
    - hybrids don't work cos of heavy batteries and their disposal
    - plug-ins don't work cos the pressure is transferred to power plants
    - bio-fuels don't work either

Bicycles work. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

Of course with a plug-in you are transferring the energy source from your combustion engine to the power plant but as i said in an earlier post, its better to have one power plant , and the resulting efficiencies, than 1000 self propelled combustion cars.

Trust me on this one. A decade from now , the self propelled oil burning combustion engine will look as archaic as one of those old steam cars.

My next car will be a plug in. I only have to wait till next year.

:)
    2493510919_4a82155754.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trust me on this one. A decade from now , the self propelled oil burning combustion engine will look as archaic as one of those old steam cars.

We were told that in 1995 in school...

MYOB wrote: »
    We were told that in 1995 in school...
    I knew the education system was gone to hell, didn't know it was that long tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Official launch happening now... I dont hate this

2010toyotapriuslive_07.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I hate it. Total non design, oh wait it has interesting headlights...zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

While it may purport to save the environment and make you look like you have a social conscience at dinner parties I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into one of these "cars". Zero driving enjoyment or excitement.

I plan to do my bit for the environment by buying a second/third/fourth hand large engined petrol or diesel car as soon as I can afford it, one which gives me some driving pleasure and also cuts down on the need for new units to be produced in factories thousands of miles away.

A nice 335 or 528 BMW, or Alfa 159/166 perhaps. Infinitely cooler than solar panels on the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Someone should hock the engine from the Lexus IS-F or Supra Twin-Turbo into one of these just to insult the eco-weenies.

Seriously though, a Prius is just a shade more credible as a planet saver than this

I like it. Not everyone needs an IS-F to go shopping in Tesco. This should do the trick, comfortably and with minimum of fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My next car will be a plug in. I only have to wait till next year.

keep taking those pills.. you won't be driving any NCAP rated electric car anytime inside the next.........5-10 years.

The reciprocating engine is here for the long haul. New fuels, yes, but it'll still be here.

If you were a true Green......you'd walk. :P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I hate this like i hate all new toyota's. the profile of this looks exactly the same as the old one really and it still has a sh*t quality interior. Have a look at netcarshow.com for some good pics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Why would anyone want this, whats the difference in MPG between this and a diesel Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A golf diesel would give way better fuel economy than this in everyday driving conditions.They vastly exaggerate the fuel economy figures on hybrids. It would be very economical compared to the most other cars stateside, though, which i imagine is its main target market. I think the only reason someone would buy one in Europe is image

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Zonda999 wrote: »
    A golf diesel would give way better fuel economy than this in everyday driving conditions.They vastly exaggerate the fuel economy figures on hybrids. It would be very economical compared to the most other cars stateside, though, which i imagine is its main target market. I think the only reason someone would buy one in Europe is image

My everyday driving, as you so eloquently put it, would be much, much more efficient in this than a diesel golf. I sit in stop go traffic for an hour a day, get to 50-70km/h for about 3 hours a week and do the odd longer journey. A Prius would kick the Golf's ass for everyday driving if you, like a lot of people, ahe the same driving week as me.

I don't hate the design, but it's too American for me. If they built a diesel hybrid Camry, I'd buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

It looks like a cross between an aygo and a nissan 370z at the front.
    It doesnt look too bad but I still wouldnt buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only word i can use to describe that is "mank". I'm sure the tree lovers will love this too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It looks like someone who's lost their front teeth in a punch-up. Eww.

If they'd mad the front bottom grille a bit bigger and got rid of that bit of the bonnet where it joins the headlights and does and 90 degree turn, then i might like it more. But that's only one of about 8 angles you'd need to see the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    It looks like someone who's lost their front teeth in a punch-up. Eww.

Actually, that perfectly describes the bit they are missing out of the fron grill of the new Avensis:D

Advertisement