Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF: Stage 4 TT

Options
  • 08-07-2008 10:22am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone want to tip a winner for today's stage? Cancellara is probably the obvious choice. He's in good form this year and this is probably his big opportunity for a stage win and a day or two in yellow before he has to start working for Sastre and the Schlecks.

Today's stage is probably a bit short for Evans but he'll no doubt put in a strong performance. Can't see him gapping Valverde by much on this one and it'll probalby be honours even. Menchov will have to go out strong, after yesterday's disaster in the wind. For Cunego, Ricco and Sastre it'll all be about limiting their losses.

I'd say Sammy Sanchez will show well. Today and the two hilly stages this week are his opportunity to stake his GC claim. Ditto for Devolder. I'd also watch Thor Hushovd. Best known as a sprinter, but he's a pretty good time trialler, especially over shorter distances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm going for Cav, but then I do live under a cloud of delusion.

Think Evans will make a good showing, and could place highly -he's going to want to if he's any intention of taking the overall win

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Hard to see past Cancellara alright. For me the most interesting part of the stage will be how much time Cunego loses.

My pick however is Roman Kreuziger.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm going for Cav, but then I do live under a cloud of delusion.

On this, yes, you're utterly deluded.
    For me the most interesting part of the stage will be how much time Cunego loses.

Hehe, yes. Which is why I think Thursday's stage to Super-Besse will be a cracker. Shorter climb to the finish might suit the Ardennes classics type riders who've lost a bit of time earlier in the week. Might see Cunego, Ricco and the Schlecks battle it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Backstedt is just heading off now. If he puts in a good ride now and the weather changes he could pull of the stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Go easy with the spoilers lads. Some of us are taping it to watch tonight.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    Go easy with the spoilers lads. Some of us are taping it to watch tonight.

I won't tell you that cav's just won then should I :)

I dunno, it's something in the blood that tells me to cheer for the UK no-hopers... it's the Cav equivalent of Henman hill for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I blindly pick number 42. Who's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

can jens voigt still do this kind of thing? not a winner but probably the only guy on my team who has any time trialing pedigree. what about kirchen? 30k too long for a sprinter type?

deffo cancellara ftw today.

niceonetom wrote: »
    can jens voigt still do this kind of thing? not a winner but probably the only guy on my team who has any time trialing pedigree. what about kirchen? 30k too long for a sprinter type?

Jens can TT alright, but since he wouldn't be a contender for the stage I can't see him make a massive effort. He might want to lose some time too in order to give himself some leeway for one of his kamikaze attacks later on in the race. Kirchen ain't too bad at all if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Got to go with Millar as a fellow Scot - he needs to get my fantasy team back on track too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would have said it would be X at the moment although Y and Z are on the course now with the wind having dropped which could throw it all open. A and B are yet to go.

This is looking like a major upset. Y!? Who would have thought.

indeedy. nailbiting. and I'm just watching the textual updates on the website! can't wait to see the final 20 riders as gaeilge tonight!

kenmc wrote: »
    indeedy. nailbiting. and I'm just watching the textual updates on the website! can't wait to see the final 20 riders as gaeilge tonight!

Little tiny window open here, and it's pretty exciting! Turning into a good TdF this year :)

where's your feed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

try tg4.ie daily live video streaming (in fact they stream everything i think - the half hour highlights were on before it.

I can't get tg4 in work so listen to Eurosport here (sort of a mash-up with Danish TV and the TdF site giving text updates.

I use http://www.justin.tv/giac2007 -it's a relay of Eurosport, and pretty good

Schumacher. Who wudda thunk it? He's good against the clock, but that looked like either the ride of his life or sheer luck with the wind.

Big winner yesterday was Evans. He's 50 seconds up on Menchov and has more than a minute on Cunego, Valverde, Schleck and Sastre.

Oh, and heh.

el tonto wrote: »
    Schumacher. Who wudda thunk it? He's good against the clock, but that looked like either the ride of his life or sheer luck with the wind.

Big winner yesterday was Evans. He's 50 seconds up on Menchov and has more than a minute on Cunego, Valverde, Schleck and Sastre.

Yeah, it was a big suprise -is this a sign that there's (dare I say it) more clean riders, that allows someone to take it easy for a couple of days and go all out in a TT?

Evans was indeed the big winner, lets hope he can keep his advantage over the next few days.

So, who is everyone tipping today?

I'm going for a Columbia victory -possibly Cav (cos that's just how I am) :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was a big suprise -is this a sign that there's (dare I say it) more clean riders, that allows someone to take it easy for a couple of days and go all out in a TT?

I don't know. Probably more significant that guys like Sastre weren't losing boatloads of time. Then again, it was a very short TT
    So, who is everyone tipping today?

I'm going for a Columbia victory -possibly Cav (cos that's just how I am) :)

Sprinters lottery today. Cavendish, McEwen, Hushovd, Freire, Zabel, take your pick. Flat stage and I doubt if the sprinters teams will let anyone away again given the way Monday's stage turned out.

Advertisement