Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 2 teams will make it through the hurling qualifiers?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Its hard to pick from Galway, Waterord, Cork/ Dublin, Limerick/ Offaly!!!

I'd say that the favourites are probably Galway and Waterford but the other teams are all capable of making it through provided that they perform

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Its got to be Galway and Cork for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I will wait and see what the draw is. Cork v Galway would be a great game if they drew each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I will wait and see what the draw is. Cork v Galway would be a great game if they drew each other.

Yeah alot depends on the draw. I'd expect Cork and Limerick to come through the two games at the weekend. For the next draw after that I'd say Galway and Waterford would both prefer to get Limerick than Cork. Waterford would be smelling a bit of revenge too after what happened last year.

Not that Limerick would be an easy game by any means, but Cork would be feared more. Whether that's justified or not I don't know, Cork aren't the force they were but you would still underestimate them at your peril. Galway v Cork would be a belter alright, in a way I wouldn't mind that draw as if Galway are going to win the All-Ireland we'll have to beat all the big teams anyway, the only variable is the order in which to do it.

And Galway have beaten Cork a couple of times this year, beat them in the league semi and again in a challenge game a couple of weeks ago. I'd be confident it will be two from Galway/Cork/Waterford, which two is hard to predict as there's not much between the three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Dublin and Cork.
    A man can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

hunter164 wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork.
    A man can hope.

If only they hadn't drawn each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ah ye forgot about that! Dublin and Galway it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

aidan24326 wrote: »

And Galway have beaten Cork a couple of times this year, beat them in the league semi and again in a challenge game a couple of weeks ago.

Whatever about the league game, don't read too much into the challenge game. I've seen more skill at an under 5's game than was shown by both teams that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Regardless of what the draw is, since Galway and Waterford avoid each other I'd be fairly confident that us and them will be the two teams through. Both teams should beat Cork, and Limerick haven't shown much this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

deise59 wrote: »
    Regardless of what the draw is, since Galway and Waterford avoid each other I'd be fairly confident that us and them will be the two teams through. Both teams should beat Cork, and Limerick haven't shown much this year.

Wouldnt be so quick to rule out Cork just yet and if your going on form their performance against Tipp was far more impressive than Waterford against Clare, still just have the feeling theres one more big surge in Cork yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dublin :) and Galway.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be so quick to rule out Cork just yet and if your going on form their performance against Tipp was far more impressive than Waterford against Clare, still just have the feeling theres one more big surge in Cork yet.

I'd agree we were diabolical against Clare, and I still think Cork are a strong team, but the situations leading up to the two games were very contrasting. We were playing without 4 All-Stars and under a manager who had apparantly lost the respect of the dressing room by then. Both those issues have since been fixed. Cork on the other hand were at near full-strength and they capitulated at the end of the match in a way I haven't seen Cork do this century.

And if go by form in Waterford/Cork matches, since the AI semi final in 2006, Waterford have beat Cork 4 times (knocking them out of NHL, Munster and the All Ireland), drawn once while Cork have only won the play-off we had during the NHL this year. And under Davy Fitz, I'd be very confident we can take them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ddddd

do ye not thik Limerick have a good chance considering that after the Munster Final defeat to Waterford everybody had written them off and eded up in the AI Final and were there abouts with KK for the whole match except the first 5 to 10 mins? More than alot of teams could say they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Its gonna be Galway and cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

It's between Galway, Cork and Waterford to get through. Don't see Limerick posing much of a threat. Two of the three above are probably going to meet each other, I just hope it's not Galway and Waterford, It would be nice to see either of them stay in the championship for the sake of a change. Both of them play a high intensity game which would bode for an epic or two later in the championship. I think Cork have dipped a bit and seem to be in a mini period of transition (4/5 new faces for Saturdays qualifiers), however I wouldn't write them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I am amazed that so many people are taking Galway to win their next qualifier match. After all they have had 2 meaningless games against Laois and Antrim (NO offence but 20 + point winning margins is hardly a test) which will leave them not knowing what their best team is or how some players will actually perform when the pressure comes on in the last 10 minutes of the game.

While most Galway people would choose Limerick over Crok as possible opponents, I dont think it matters. Galway will be coming in cold against a team who will have had 2 meaningful matches.

As for the others, well I'd expect Cork to beat Dublin fairly easily (+6 points) while if there is to be an upset, it will come in the shape of Offaly beating Limerick. Still its Limerick and Cork from this weekend's matches for me.

After that I'd say it will be Waterford and either Cork or Galway to go into the 1/4 finals. At this moment in time, I'd go for Cork.

Kojak wrote: »
    I am amazed that so many people are taking Galway to win their next qualifier match. After all they have had 2 meaningless games against Laois and Antrim (NO offence but 20 + point winning margins is hardly a test) which will leave them not knowing what their best team is or how some players will actually perform when the pressure comes on in the last 10 minutes of the game.

While most Galway people would choose Limerick over Crok as possible opponents, I dont think it matters. Galway will be coming in cold against a team who will have had 2 meaningful matches.

As for the others, well I'd expect Cork to beat Dublin fairly easily (+6 points) while if there is to be an upset, it will come in the shape of Offaly beating Limerick. Still its Limerick and Cork from this weekend's matches for me.

After that I'd say it will be Waterford and either Cork or Galway to go into the 1/4 finals. At this moment in time, I'd go for Cork.

That surely has been the case as far as I can remember. Galway always come in cold against teams that have already had tough games. Often in the past it hasn't bothered them, it often even helps with an ambush of the opposition. The same could be said of Kilkenny this year. They are now sitting in the semi-final having only had any real test in first half of the Wexford game. Yes Galway have some well documented weaknesses, but it was Galway who ran Kilkenny closest last year even with those weaknesses.

ddddd wrote: »
    do ye not think Limerick have a good chance considering that after the Munster Final defeat to Waterford everybody had written them off and eded up in the AI Final and were there abouts with KK for the whole match except the first 5 to 10 mins? More than alot of teams could say they did?

You're forgetting one vital point. There is a HUGE difference between Limericks form last year in the run up to the Waterford semi final and Limericks form this year in the run up to this qualifier stage. No offense but I honestly don't think you guys have much hope of getting any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As for the others, well I'd expect Cork to beat Dublin fairly easily (+6 points) while if there is to be an upset, it will come in the shape of Offaly beating Limerick. .
    I watched a Limerick-Dublin challenge game last weekend, and to say that either team wouldn't break eggs off a stone wall is being kind - Limerick won by a point. The men in green certainly won't go any further than the quarter finals this year, but i doubt very much that Offaly will even get near them, so bad are the Faithful men at the moment. Cork are in period of transition, bringing in new young talent like Pa Cronin and Cathal Naughton, their new look forward line didn't seem to gel at all against Tipp and i'm not one bit surprised to see Timmy McCarthy and Neil Ronan back in. They'll be there or there abouts, but i couldn't see them going any further than the semi's. I still think its Waterford and Galway that will go through, the former are still the second best team in the country in my opinion, and the latter are capable of a bit of magic on any given day. Galway's record in the qualifiers in recent years is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ddddd

grenache wrote: »
    I watched a Limerick-Dublin challenge game last weekend, and to say that either team wouldn't break eggs off a stone wall is being kind - Limerick won by a poing. The men in green certainly won't go any further than the quarter finals this year

thats all that it was a CHALLENGE GAME... challenge games are like league matches.. meaningless when it comes to the championship and Dublin drew with KK I think in the league but I don't see you saying KK won't get past the Quarters??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

ddddd wrote: »
    thats all that it was a CHALLENGE GAME... challenge games are like league matches.. meaningless when it comes to the championship and Dublin drew with KK I think in the league but I don't see you saying KK won't get past the Quarters??

Not all challenge games are meaningless, they are often a very good indicator of a teams form. Also this was a game in which there was competition for places, and there was some shoddy hurling from certain Limerick players. The very same players who should have been looking to impress given their poor performances against Clare.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Galway's record in the qualifiers in recent years is quite good.

I'm sorry, grenache, but I have to disagree with you there. If you consider beating the sh1t out of Laois and Antrim every year as a good record then fair enough. But you have to remember that Galway haven't beaten any of the other top 9 teams in the country in championship action since the All-Ireland semi-final of 2005 against KK. That is almost 3 years without a meaningful win in the championship.

Since 2002, they have only beaten Limerick, Cork, Clare, Tipp and KK once each. That is 5 meaningful wins in 7 years (including 2008) and 3 of them came in the 2005 season where they reached the All-Ireland final. The stats show themselves that Galway are, in fact, one of the poorer teams when it comes to the qualifiers.

Well that was a turn-up for the books. Again though like the Clare match it was more a case of Limerick pressing their own self-distruct button. Not taking anything away from Offaly though, fair play to them.

Regardless, I still think both Galway and Waterford will both be hoping they get Offaly and not Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Your probably right but still still Offaly are certainly capable of big performances against either Cork or Waterford, so i wouldnt rule out Offaly been involved in the semi finals

Regardless, I still think both Galway and Waterford will both be hoping they get Offaly and not Cork

True, Deise59. But Cork seemed to be very lethargic today and maybe are not as strong as other years. Also, from the point of view of a more open championship, I think Waterford have a far better chance of beating the Rebels than Galway do. I will admit that if Galway draw Offaly tomorrow evening I will be a happy man.

I will admit that if Galway draw Offaly tomorrow evening I will be a happy man.

I would prefer if Galway got Cork. Offaly never feared Galway no matter when they met and who have Offaly won two of their All-Irelands off in the past. I was at the league match in Tullamore between Galway and Offaly earlier this year and Offaly should have won it only for a Farragher free in the last couple of minutes. Going on the evidence from yesterdays matches Offaly are more the in form team with Cork struggling to beat Dublin who in previous years they would have seen off easily.

Offaly in the qualifiers, Wexford in the quarters which would mean Tipp in the semis, I'd take that tbh :D

I just know we'll get Cork as usual though. 9 Championship matches in 6 years between us and them since 2002 so you just know that'll continue for a while yet.

Offaly in the qualifiers, Wexford in the quarters which would mean Tipp in the semis, I'd take that tbh :D

I just know we'll get Cork as usual though. 9 Championship matches in 6 years between us and them since 2002 so you just know that'll continue for a while yet.

If the GAA were to tailor the draw to create as much interest as possible they would love to pair up Cork and Waterford for another epic battle and by pairing Offaly and Galway you have another neighbourly rivalry. I wonder will the two matches be played together next weekend? Will they be in Thurles?

They sure will. Double header in Thurles (both on RTE)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is that definite?

• Advertisement

Galway versus Cork and Waterford versus Offaly. Nice

Advertisement