Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 2 teams will make it through the hurling qualifiers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Good draw for Waterford Offaly will do well to be at full fitness and mentally right after yesterday

Are both games in Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

CyberDave wrote: »
    Galway versus Cork and Waterford versus Offaly. Nice

Far from a walkover for Waterford, but I'm well happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

tonc76 wrote: »
    Are both games in Thurles?

Michael Lester just said details will be announced over the coming days. A double header in Thurles next Saturday would make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Kojak wrote: »
    I'm sorry, grenache, but I have to disagree with you there. If you consider beating the sh1t out of Laois and Antrim every year as a good record then fair enough. But you have to remember that Galway haven't beaten any of the other top 9 teams in the country in championship action since the All-Ireland semi-final of 2005 against KK. That is almost 3 years without a meaningful win in the championship.

Since 2002, they have only beaten Limerick, Cork, Clare, Tipp and KK once each. That is 5 meaningful wins in 7 years (including 2008) and 3 of them came in the 2005 season where they reached the All-Ireland final. The stats show themselves that Galway are, in fact, one of the poorer teams when it comes to the qualifiers.

Compared to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Offaly will take Waterford IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Feckin delighted tbh, but taking nothing for granted obviously. It's still the easier draw from our perspective regardless of recent form and i'm pretty confident that we'll come through it, but it'll still be tough.

Nice to see as well now that if we do eventually meet Cork again this year, it can't happen until the All Ireland final. I mean the games played between the two are consistently exciting, but they're not too good for the heart!

Galway and Waterford to qualify

Can somebody confirm this for me? A few over on upthedeise.com seem to think that if Waterford win we have to play Wexford in the quarters since we can't meet Clare again this year. I knew this was the case with the qualifiers but does this apply for the All Ireland series too?

Edit: Just checked out the GAA website and that is indeed the case. Waterford can't meet Clare again in the quarter finals, so if we beat Offaly, we face Wexford! So with that, this is how the rest of the Championship shapes up:

Qualifiers
    Waterford vs. Offaly
    Galway vs. Cork

Quarter Finals
    Wexford vs. Waterford/Offaly
    Clare vs. Galway/Cork

Semi Finals
    Tipperary vs. Wexford/Waterford/Offaly
    Kilkenny vs. Clare/Galway/Cork

Interesting stuff. For my own counties sake, it's good to be on the opposite side of the draw to both Kilkenny and Cork. I think tbh we'd be favorites to be the team to go on and face Tipperary in the semis, but if we get there we'll be in for some wicked test.

Good to see Kilkenny with a tough test in the semi as well. I'd probably expect the winner of Galway/Cork to face them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Compared to who?

Clare for one. The first year the "new" qualifier" system came in, they used it as a means to get to an All-Ireland final while Galway messed around in the 1/4 finals. Also in 2004, they reached the 1/4 finals while Galway were being thumped by KK below in Thurles (not the first time that has happened, and unfortunatly IMO it wont be the last either) In 2005 and 2006, Clare used the qualifier system to reach the semi-finals on both occasions. So there is one team, at least, who have a better record in the qualifiers than Galway.

As for the draw today, terrible draw for Galway. They have not been tested so far this year, and while Cork did look sluggish against the Dubs, I still think that the Rebels will have far too much for a naieve Galway.

In the other match, Waterford to win by 6+ points as most of Offaly's lads will have played 3 matches in the space of 8 days (The Limerick match yesterday, the U-21 Leinster final against KK on Wednesday and the Waterford match next Saturday)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deise59 wrote: »
    Just checked out the GAA website and that is indeed the case. Waterford can't meet Clare again in the quarter finals, so if we beat Offaly, we face Wexford! So with that, this is how the rest of the Championship shapes up:

Qualifiers
    Waterford vs. Offaly
    Galway vs. Cork

Quarter Finals
    Wexford vs. Waterford/Offaly
    Clare vs. Galway/Cork

Semi Finals
    Tipperary vs. Wexford/Waterford/Offaly
    Kilkenny vs. Clare/Galway/Cork

Interesting stuff. For my own counties sake, it's good to be on the opposite side of the draw to both Kilkenny and Cork. I think tbh we'd be favorites to be the team to go on and face Tipperary in the semis, but if we get there we'll be in for some wicked test.

Good to see Kilkenny with a tough test in the semi as well. I'd probably expect the winner of Galway/Cork to face them.

Yeah was reafing that on upthedeise myself but I don't understand why the semi finals are guaranteed to be that way? Unless it's that provincial finalista are kept away from each other until the final but, as we met Lierick in the semi last year, I don't see how this can be? Can anyone clarify?

Can't believe we actually got the easier draw - we never do! But easier or not, it'll still be a tough game judging by the hiding Offaly gave to Limerick. Hopefully we'll progress to the semis. If we don't, we just aren't good enough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Kojak wrote: »
    Clare for one. The first year the "new" qualifier" system came in, they used it as a means to get to an All-Ireland final while Galway messed around in the 1/4 finals. Also in 2004, they reached the 1/4 finals while Galway were being thumped by KK below in Thurles (not the first time that has happened, and unfortunately IMO it wont be the last either) In 2005 and 2006, Clare used the qualifier system to reach the semi-finals on both occasions. So there is one team, at least, who have a better record in the qualifiers than Galway.

As for the draw today, terrible draw for Galway. They have not been tested so far this year, and while Cork did look sluggish against the Dubs, I still think that the Rebels will have far too much for a naieve Galway.

Limerick, Wexford and Offaly haven't had many meaningful qualifier wins either. It's not not as if Galway were the only team ever thumped by Kilkenny either ask Wexford and Offaly in the past few years. Coming in cold doesn't help Galway but they have proven that when they do click they have the ability and intensity to stick with and even beat Kilkenny.

I wouldn't be too sure about Cork having way to much for Galway next Saturday. Cork completely collapsed in the second half against Tipp and Galway tore them apart in the first half of the league semi-final before they became complacent in the second half and allowed them back into the match. It will probably be a tight game. Cork are probably at a slight advantage considering the extra hard matches but I don't believe they are SO much better than Galway. There isn't much evidence this year so far to suggest they are.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah was reafing that on upthedeise myself but I don't understand why the semi finals are guaranteed to be that way? Unless it's that provincial finalista are kept away from each other until the final but, as we met Lierick in the semi last year, I don't see how this can be? Can anyone clarify?

Can't believe we actually got the easier draw - we never do! But easier or not, it'll still be a tough game judging by the hiding Offaly gave to Limerick. Hopefully we'll progress to the semis. If we don't, we just aren't good enough this year.

To quote gaa.ie
    10.08.08 (Sun)
    All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final

Leinster Champions v Munster Runner Up or Team who beats them.

17.08.09 (Sun)

Munster Champions v Leinster Runner Up or Team who beats them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

In the other match, Waterford to win by 6+ points as most of Offaly's lads will have played 3 matches in the space of 8 days (The Limerick match yesterday, the U-21 Leinster final against KK on Wednesday and the Waterford match next Saturday)

Ive heard rumours that the Offaly U-21 match scheduled for mid-week has been put back to next week - IMO, it would be a disgrace to have the majority of Offaly players play 3 competitive matches in a week :confused:

Everybody rattles on about how hurling needs the likes of Offaly, Wexford etc.. doing well so i hope common sense prevails and Offaly can concentrate on the match against Waterford - looking forward to a great match and certainly think most of the Deise lads on here are a little over-confident - Offaly have a bit of momentum behind them now so it wont be the stroll on the park many expect - take a look at the comment below from last week :D
    The men in green certainly won't go any further than the quarter finals this year, but i doubt very much that Offaly will even get near them, so bad are the Faithful men at the moment.

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Everybody rattles on about how hurling needs the likes of Offaly, Wexford etc.. doing well so i hope common sense prevails and Offaly can concentrate on the match against Waterford - looking forward to a great match and certainly think most of the Deise lads on here are a little over-confident - Offaly have a bit of momentum behind them now so it wont be the stroll on the park many expect - take a look at the comment below from last week :D

Not sure where you're getting that from tbh, From what I've read here and other sites the general consensus is that while it is the easier draw it's still going yo be an extremely tough game, and I'm not doubting that for one second.

Offaly have one of the best forwards in the game currently with Joe Bergin, and considering our full-back frailties over recent years, Ken is going to have to be at the top of his game to keep him quiet.

I do hope Offaly can get their U21 match rescheduled. They've nothing to lose now so they'll need the entire 15 in top shape if they feel they can beat us.

You cant blame us for being relieved that for once we get to avoid the neighbours. I'm obviously going to tip Waterford to get through but that doesnt mean im not expecting fiercely close games and one or two scares along the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jugs82 wrote: »
    and certainly think most of the Deise lads on here are a little over-confident

?

I have only heard one person proclaim that it will be a walkover and that person is a tool. Everyone else saw a great Offaly performance last Saturday so I do not know where you are seeing the over confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Not sure where you're getting that from tbh, From what I've read here and other sites the general consensus is that while it is the easier draw it's still going yo be an extremely tough game, and I'm not doubting that for one second.

Fair play - looking forward to it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Galway versus Cork

This match will tell a lot. I'm very unsure about Cork and have doubts about how good Galway really are. Should become a lot clearer by Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Surely Galway and Waterford. Cork look a spent force and as seems to happen every year Offaly or Wexford pull out a shock result. Waterford will surely handle Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Galway v Cork should be a cracker. Galway tore Cork to pieces in the first half of the league semi final and then fell asleep in the second half. It's likely to be alot closer this time, and I don't think that league game was high on Cork's priority list anyway. Next Saturday is a whole different animal altogether. Galway have better forwards and might be a bit hungrier for this one aswell, it's a huge game for Galway and a real make or break game for Loughnane, and I think Galway will shade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Confirmed as a double header in Thurles on Saturday evening.

Waterford v Offaly 5pm

Galway v Cork 7pm

Both games live on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Confirmed as a double header in Thurles on Saturday evening.

Waterford v Offaly 5pm

Galway v Cork 7pm

Both games live on RTE.

Just beat me to it. I will be back in Ireland from Friday (for the big game on Sunday :)) so I will get to see some hurling on rte and the football on tv3 without being surrounded by Scots (except for the missus who is coming with me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deise2dbone

Anyone know when the tickets are going on sale......checking Ticketmaster all day with no joy!!!!

To quote gaa.ie
    10.08.08 (Sun)

Leinster Champions v Munster Runner Up or Team who beats them.

17.08.09 (Sun)

Munster Champions v Leinster Runner Up or Team who beats them.

Great, thanks. At least that's straight in my head now.

Double header in Thurles sounds good. What does everyone think about tickets? 55,000 to go around between four teams? Waterford would surely bring half of that to Thurles, with Cork travelling in similar numbers. Galway and Offaly to make up the remainder? Will almost certainly be full. Necessary to get tickets or pay at the gate?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about tickets? 55,000 to go around between four teams? Waterford would surely bring half of that to Thurles,

lol

lol

Don't have anything constructive do add? Don't post.

That estimate is probably a bit OTT in fairness though. Both Waterford and Offaly sunshine supporters will be out in full force after the renewed optimism in both camps, but Galway and Cork fans should be out in numbers too because it's going to be quite a match-up. I'd say it'll be spread evenly between the 4 counties

Don't have anything constructive do add? Don't post.

That estimate is probably a bit OTT in fairness though. Both Waterford and Offaly sunshine supporters will be out in full force after the renewed optimism in both camps, but Galway and Cork fans should be out in numbers too because it's going to be quite a match-up. I'd say it'll be spread evenly between the 4 counties

There won't be more than 30 - 35,000 at these games. Waterford will be lucky to bring anywhere near 10,000. There's not a hope in hell they will bring 27,500.........

So you've just reiterated what I just said then....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Is 7 not a bit late for a game to be starting?

I think Waterford and Galway will come out on top but Cork wont mind one bit being written off, not that I am writing them off I just think Galway will shade it.

So you've just reiterated what I just said then....

What planet are you on....I was originally responding to someone else's estimates till you decided to jump in.

It's more than a bit OTT

What planet are you on....I was originally responding to someone else's estimates till you decided to jump in.

It's more than a bit OTT

In your opinion it's more than a bit OTT. I personally don't think it's that outrageous. Yes, I did over-estimate it. It is only a qualifier after all. But Waterford do travel in droves, specially up the road to Thrules.

With regard to it being an even split, I find it hard to see Offaly and Galway turning out int he same numbers as Waterford and Cork. Even with Cork not going that great at the moment, they have huge numbers of fans.

It's all irrelevant anyway. The only part of my post I actually cared about was this
    Necessary to get tickets or pay at the gate?

• Advertisement

Jumped in? Oh I see am I not allowed voice my own opinions on the attendence matter? Or do I just have to sit back and leave you post mindless messages like "lol"?

I'd expect 10,000 from each of the 4 counties, maybe more maybe less. Either way I think it could break 40,000. Anyway in the end of the day who the fcuk even cares what the attendence will be, it's on the field that matters.

Keano I don't think 7 is neccesarily too bad. If it's lighting you're worried about then I can't remember ever that being a problem in the past. I know there were some 7pm matches last year as well and they went off without a hitch.

If it's getting home that late that the problem I guess I understand your concerns. But be thankful the match is in Thurles then, because that's generally one of the easier places to escape from after a match.

Advertisement