Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax

• 08-07-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Lads & Lassies,

Not strictly a recruitment issue and mods feel free to move but i was wondering when we start in Templemore, are we entitled to claim tax back as we will not be making enough to pay tax for the rest of the year?

And if so, how do we go about it?:p

Cheers folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Yes, you should be able to get a bit back. Its the same as working for the summer in college, I was able to claim a fair bit of that tax back.
    I think ya just ring them once you've started and they'll sort it all out.

Will make for a few decent sessions in pollys :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Will make for a few decent sessions in pollys :pac:

Problem solved, Savage man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

srdb20 wrote: »
    Lads & Lassies,

Not strictly a recruitment issue and mods feel free to move but i was wondering when we start in Templemore, are we entitled to claim tax back as we will not be making enough to pay tax for the rest of the year?

And if so, how do we go about it?:p

Cheers folks

As August is late in the year the PAYE section in Revenue may advice to wait until the tax year ends to claim your rebate. This works by filling out a Form 11 & submitting your P.60 which will include your previous employment & new employers accumulated pay earned for the year. A balancing statement will issue to you followed by a nice little cheque (you hope:D). The Form 11 is available on www.revenue.ie & the low call numbers are as follows:

Dublin Region: 1890 333 425
    East & South East Region: 1890 444 425
    South West Region: 1890 222 425
    Border Mid-lands West Region: 1890 777 425

The reason a new employer cannot issue a refund is:

An employer submits a Form P.30 bi-monthly to Revenue detailing the amount of PAYE & PRSI deducted for all it's employees accompanied by a cheque for this amount (DD can also be set up using the ROS method). The total off these six P.30's are the figures that make up the Form P.35.

If you've ever missed a week or two at work you may have noticed that you got a little bit of tax back the week following your return to work, this is because the tax system works on an accumulated system in Ireland. Once you have the same employer the system calculates straight away your refund and therefore the amount submitted on the next P.30 by the employer is reduced by this.

If you change employment your P.45 is submitted to revenue and they in a couple of weeks issue a Tax Credit Certificate to your new employer detailing weekly/monthly tax credits & cut of point (amount you can earn without going to the 40% rate). Your new employer will calculate your wages on the emergency tax rate until this certificate issues. When the new employer gets your tax credit cert and calculates your wages it may show a refund however this is being calculated due to sums earned in previous employment so as your current employer never deducted these sums they cannot refund them that is why you have to wait until the end of the year to submit the Form 11.

You will however be refunded the emergency tax deducted by your new employer (balance equals emergency tax less what should have been deducted).

I hope this helps some bit. I've tried to explain it as best I can.

controller wrote: »
    As August is late in the year the PAYE section in Revenue may advice to wait until the tax year ends to claim your rebate. This works by filling out a Form 11 & submitting your P.60 which will include your previous employment & new employers accumulated pay earned for the year. A balancing statement will issue to you followed by a nice little cheque (you hope:D). The Form 11 is available on www.revenue.ie & the low call numbers are as follows:

An employer submits a Form P.30 bi-monthly to Revenue detailing the amount of PAYE & PRSI deducted for all it's employees accompanied by a cheque for this amount (DD can also be set up using the ROS method). The total off these six P.30's are the figures that make up the Form P.35.

If you've ever missed a week or two at work you may have noticed that you got a little bit of tax back the week following your return to work, this is because the tax system works on an accumulated system in Ireland. Once you have the same employer the system calculates straight away your refund and therefore the amount submitted on the next P.30 by the employer is reduced by this.

If you change employment your P.45 is submitted to revenue and they in a couple of weeks issue a Tax Credit Certificate to your new employer detailing weekly/monthly tax credits & cut of point (amount you can earn without going to the 40% rate). Your new employer will calculate your wages on the emergency tax rate until this certificate issues. When the new employer gets your tax credit cert and calculates your wages it may show a refund however this is being calculated due to sums earned in previous employment so as your current employer never deducted these sums they cannot refund them that is why you have to wait until the end of the year to submit the Form 11.

You will however be refunded the emergency tax deducted by your new employer (balance equals emergency tax less what should have been deducted).

well it sure beats my explanation :D
    You know your stuff about tax ill give you that!

well it sure beats my explanation :D
    You know your stuff about tax ill give you that!

:D:D thanks pvt. joker (did it in past employment) any word on those eyes being deemed beady enough for police duty yet? :cool:

• Advertisement

:D:D thanks pvt. joker (did it in past employment) any word on those eyes being deemed beady enough for police duty yet? :cool:

I've got someone on the case :cool:
    Hoping to hear word today, or tomorrow on a pct date.

I've got someone on the case :cool:
    Hoping to hear word today, or tomorrow on a pct date.

Aw that's brillant news you must be over the moon? Sorry for bring up a med issue on another thread it's so hard to segregate the posts sometimes I notice it happening alot on the other threads too lately!:)

Best of luck with the pct I've no doubt we'll see you in August you've been chomping at the bit waiting for this and rightly so.

Aw that's brillant news you must be over the moon? Sorry for bring up a med issue on another thread it's so hard to segregate the posts sometimes I notice it happening alot on the other threads too lately!:)

Best of luck with the pct I've no doubt we'll see you in August you've been chomping at the bit waiting for this and rightly so.

thanks, yeah its been a frustrating last 2 months to say the least!
    Not taking anything for granted at this stage though, just keeping the fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Sorry guys but this is TOTALLY & COMPLETELY INCORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!

The first question i would ask is when are you starting in Templemore cos if it's in the last 4 months of 2008 i wouldn't bother changing anything as you will get a PAYE rebate for most of the tax you have paid so far this year

In another thread I have done a little spreadsheet for you to show how approximately (using this years tax credits) your tax situation will look in 2009, if your wife's salary is over €44,400 p.a. you can change the figure in cell B14 and the formulae will calculate automatically the new figure
    If her income is below the €44,400 figure you can change the gross per week figure in B7 to whatever she is getting to show you the revised tax calculation (by the way if you have other income you can change your own gross per week in B6

TWO THINGS OF NOTE (before anyone screams at me)
    1)I have not calculated or taken into account PRSI in any way shape or form
    2) i have not allowed for the change in payment rate for the Garda Trainee from Phase 1 to Phase 2 etc., nor have i made any inclusion for allowances recieved
    This is just a basic outline to give you an idea
    If you want more detailed info PM me (it's what i do for a living)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56088206&highlight=tax+credits#post56088206

Hi Angelfire, thanks for your post. Just to give you a little history I used to do this for a living, have the necessary qualifications. Everyones tax situation is different ie tax credits are dependant on whether you are single, married, one income, two etc. You have to change things when you start a new employment. If you were on the high rate of tax finishing a job & you start on a lesser paid job then that new employment can't issue you the refund. I have worked in payroll, issued P.60's, P.45's, P.35's etc. It also depends on whether you are single/joint/separately assessed. The purpose of my message was to try and share a bit of knowledge in an easy to understand manner. I still think that tax is something that should be taught in school because Revenue will never tell a person they are due a refund etc., the onus is on the tax payer. Now you can come back and say I'm incorrect because ..... but I'm not replying. If you feel my information is inaccurate then that's fine. At the very least the post provides the numbers for Revenue who are the experts and can help people with their queries.

Oh and I'm not screaming.

P.S One thing though the monies one earns in Templemore will leave for example a person with single tax credit not having to pay tax on the sum earned therefore how am I incorrect in saying they won't receive any refund due on tax on the high tax bracket paid in previous employment until after the tax yr? I certainly wouldn't go to the time & effort posting inaccurate information. Now I really have said all I'm going to say on the matter. When I know I'm right about something I won't back down end off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Hi Angelfire, thanks for your post. Just to give you a little history I used to do this for a living, have the necessary qualifications. Everyones tax situation is different ie tax credits are dependant on whether you are single, married, one income, two etc. You have to change things when you start a new employment. If you were on the high rate of tax finishing a job & you start on a lesser paid job then that new employment can't issue you the refund. I have worked in payroll, issued P.60's, P.45's, P.35's etc.

Ok, first of all I do do this for a living... currently... I have a BA in law and accountancy, I qualified first as a MIATI am now MICAI, i prepare P45's on a regular basis and P60's, P35's and P35L's annually for a company with excess of 150 employees (am F.C.)
    And while i agree that your tax circumstances depend on being married/single/ joint or single assessment and a number of other variables you can get your tax back unless your tax credits are issued on a Week1/Month1 basis rather than cumulatively

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Ok, first of all I do do this for a living... currently... I have a BA in law and accountancy, I qualified first as a MIATI am now MICAI, i prepare P45's on a regular basis and P60's, P35's and P35L's annually for a company with excess of 150 employees (am F.C.)
    And while i agree that your tax circumstances depend on being married/single/ joint or single assessment and a number of other variables you can get your tax back unless your tax credits are issued on a Week1/Month1 basis rather than cumulatively

I've broken my promise by replying - apologies! Funny I have one of those very same qualifications but I'm not one to brag about my portfolio! The only point I ever wanted to make was if your wages aren't going to be subjected to tax by virtue of wages falling below the tax net then any refunds due have to be claimed via Revenue. Also especially as by the time the new tax credits issue to your new employer it will be getting late in the year so might have to claim via the auld F.11. I only explained about P.35's etc cause it's still something I love to talk about and love making people aware of it etc & still love getting friends little bits of tax back etc., Thank you for noting that each individual case varies. Hope this is where this conversation ends, Toodle pips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

now now girls:p

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    now now girls:p

You know your right Mason, the claws were getting a right good sharpening there! I'll behave now. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

jeez I thought Id never see the day. Two people fighting over tax!!!!!!!

Im totally lost with tax so I will not be joining ye

Advertisement