Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty repair

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, Do anyone know where the law stand for warranty/guarantee for repair?
    I need repair on a car (change a part and labour) and my problem is to get a warranty/guarantee for the repair.
    I know that there is a warranty over the part ( Is 1 or 2 year?), but how long must be (minimum by law) the warranty for the job?
    What the garage will need to give you for this warranty to take effect (the receipt will be enough?)
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you buy the car from a dealer and did they offer a warranty with the car?

AFAIK the statutory requirements on motor sales is either 3 or 6 months. Ring consumer affairs they will be able to tell you. Proof of purchase should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

I did not buy from them (I have a car from 4 years) , I just want to do a repair on the car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The answer is that there is none iirc. That is there are no set limits in the law except that the product has to be of merchantable quality etc. which I'd guess also applies for such a repair as any other product.

Hence you'd not have anything firm on paper to back up the repair it self outside that it should be done in a reasonble quality and last a reasonble time for the price (i.e. if you get a item fixed for half the price don't expect it to last as long as a top garage repair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

"Directive 1999/44/EC on the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees has been implemented by Ireland. As a result of this legislation, consumers have a right to a minimum guarantee of two years on products."
    If this is correct, 2 years is the minimum garantee on all the products (not 1 as many shop tell you!), so if the part/product need to be repair in the 2 years, the garage or shop that fitted/repair will need to do it free of charge!
    Any comments on this?

Advertisement