Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gonna move to Cork (presentation)

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello to everybody!
    I'm Diego, from Spain, 24 yrs old.
    On 6th October I'm gonna move to Cork City to live a year, more or less I don't know....
    I will go alone, without house and without job :rolleyes: but I hope it will be fine!
    Excuse my English level because I know it's not good :D. I'd like to improve it.

I have just discovered this forum and it's fantastic ;). I think here I'll know more things about Ireland and Cork.

More about myself..
    About my studies I have an important question. Could you help me with it? I have studied at the University for three years. My carreer is called in Spain something like Technic Engineering Computer Science. Now I continue studying at the distant Spanish University for two more years in order to get an Engineering Computer Scince "superior" title while I'm working in my job. I'd like to know how do you call that studies. I need to write it in my Curriculum but I don't know how is the name of it.

I love Irish music, pipes, thin and low whistles, violin,..
    I play the guitar (acoustic and electric guitar) and my favourite music is blues, folk, classical, rock, hard rock and metal. I'm willing to go to an Irish pub and listen to live irish music with a pint of beer in my hand heheh :p.

One more thing... When I get in Cork, I will live in a hostel. Any recommendation I would be grateful!

Thanks! and sorry for this large message ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dubharlinn

Wow! thank you very much!! Good and fast response ;)

I had heard something about "Bachelor" in Computer Science but I think it's the same as 4 years Honours Degree.
    It's quite complicated because in Spain our University System (in Engineering) goes like:

3 years: Diplomatura
    5 years: Licenciatura (Bachelor I think) = Diplomatura+second cicle (in new carreers people get Bachelor with 4 years with European normative)
    more than 5 years: Master

So, I think I'll indicate in my Curriculum I have Diploma in Computer Science (I have not Bachelor yet.. :()

Thank you very much for the information and all!
    Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Jejejejej :D
    Ok, I'll try it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Oh and I wouldn't advise living in a hostel for a year... You'd be better off finding a house/apartment to share. I'm sure someone else would know links of where to look for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

dubharlinn wrote: »
    Hello to everybody!
    On 6th October I'm gonna move to Cork City to live a year, more or less I don't know....
    I will go alone, without house and without job :rolleyes: but I hope it will be fine!
    Excuse my English level because I know it's not good :D. I'd like to improve it.

I have just discovered this forum and it's fantastic ;). I think here I'll know more things about Ireland and Cork.

More about myself..
    About my studies I have an important question. Could you help me with it? I have studied at the University for three years. My carreer is called in Spain something like Technic Engineering Computer Science. Now I continue studying at the distant Spanish University for two more years in order to get an Engineering Computer Scince "superior" title while I'm working in my job. I'd like to know how do you call that studies. I need to write it in my Curriculum but I don't know how is the name of it.

I play the guitar (acoustic and electric guitar) and my favourite music is blues, folk, classical, rock, hard rock and metal. I'm willing to go to an Irish pub and listen to live irish music with a pint of beer in my hand heheh :p.

One more thing... When I get in Cork, I will live in a hostel. Any recommendation I would be grateful!

Hola! todo bien?

You should check this forum out, they have regular meet-ups for drinks so you could make friends easily. Be prepared for some joking around on the forum though, its all in good fun!

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com

thank you to everybody! Muchas gracias a todos;)
    You all are very nice!

Oh and I wouldn't advise living in a hostel for a year... You'd be better off finding a house/apartment to share. I'm sure someone else would know links of where to look for them.

Yes! I will live in a hostel (Sheila's Cork Hostel do you know something about it?) for a week while I'm looking for a shared house.

Any recommended zone in Cork? In the center? or far from center?
    I think I'll buy a bicycle to move myself by Cork. Is it recommended? Or will my life be in danger? :rolleyes:

Hola! todo bien?

You should check this forum out, they have regular meet-ups for drinks so you could make friends easily. Be prepared for some joking around on the forum though, its all in good fun!

Todo muy bien gracias! y tu? ;)
    Thanks for the link. I've just registered myself in the forum. So, see you there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Hey!

I cycle around Cork every day, nothing much to worry about, except on some junctions like washington street, can be very busy and not everyone sees a bike :) but I haven't been knocked down yet :p We have a lot of one way streets too so where you think you might be able to take a short cut, you can't. :P in the main city part there's lots of places to park bikes too.

You'll probably want to live near to the centre, as most things happen there, but obviously depends if you get a job outside the city etc.

Thank you taram!
    I'll cycle then. As soon as I get Cork, I'll look for a bike :rolleyes: and a raincoat! :D I guess Cork is a very wet city.

Probably I'll try to live in cetre of Cork, but as you say it depends if my job is near the centre (I wish I get job as soon as be possible or I'll live near the Lee river in a few weeks :Dlol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bundman

Hola! todo bien?

You're not wrong!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

http://www.daft.ie is the place to go for househunting ideas, but don't take adverts for being the gosbel. I know my current landlords are lying about us having parking (we do, but its called a street, everyone has one!) and that we have a tumble drier and cable TV (we have neither). Also, the colleges (CIT and UCC) have accomodation offices to help students find a place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosso

Heya Diego, welcome to Cork. Like you I am a foreigner in Cork city as well. Its good fun. Send me a msg when you're here and we'll have a cpl of beers listening to music.

Rosso wrote: »
    Heya Diego, welcome to Cork. Like you I am a foreigner in Cork city as well. Its good fun. Send me a msg when you're here and we'll have a cpl of beers listening to music.
    Thanks Rosso! I'll do it :o.
    Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

dubharlinn wrote: »
    Hello to everybody!

More about myself..

Hi Diego,

There is a hostel called "An Bru" close to cork city centre. From there, or anywhere close you'll be able to walk around the city centre, its all within a 10 minute walk. Here's a link to it
    http://www.bruhostel.com/index.cfm?page=links.

Depending on where you get a job you might not need a bicycle. When you get closer to moving over post up a thread again about where you want to work/live and I'm sure the people on here will help out.

When you do go looking for a house like some of the posters said daft.ie is one of the best places to go, there is a local paper - the evening echo - that a lot of landlords advertise on as well.

Good luck

Thank you very much quietsailor!
    I haven't heard about BRU Hostel but I have entered the web and it looks nice! I think I'll do my book in that hostel, which seems to be well situated near bus station. Anyone has an opinion about Bru hostel?
    Thanks too for the daft.ie link. It's very useful to me ;)

Cheers!! :D

Advertisement