Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you rob my car?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

I'm a little bit thick...but how can thieves rob my car if it's got a chipped key with immobiliser and alarm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Steal the key !!;)

Also thieves take cars for various reasons.
    Highly desireable( to sell on/stolen to order) .

The car is a Box of Sh*** and its easy to take just for the rally the car in the ground cos they feel like it aspect.

The car is highpowered and the require its speed for another criminal motive i.e Robbery / Hit.

Theft of opportunity.. You leave the keys in at the petrol station.

Eliminate your own from this list and its not really in the top theft position:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

Simple....they do what all the other car thieves do these days. Break into your house, find the keys and go. If they cant find them you get threatened and hand them over. Done deal

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They can also stick it on a trailer and drive off.

Sure feck it, Sell the car and get the bus everwhere:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

when I read the title I thought it was a request... as in.... please somebody rob my car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

My services are avalibe monday to friday 9 -5 any time after that its time and a half

Oh sorry you were wondering how do they do it so you want to get in to the trade lol

Only messing not sure mate a few of my cars over the years were robbed and they had immobiliser and alarm's they usealy go for older cars as my brothers car was parked next to mine when it was robbed and he has a newer nicer car then me but im glad they took mine not his as he paid a lot more for his car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Depending on the Car

Steal the keys by robbing your house
    Have a chat with you some late night with a kettle

Depending on the car disable the immobiliser on certain cars is not that hard. On a certain french car a fuse did the trick. (not an rfid chip)

It is also possible to clone RFID chips with time

Lift the car on to a flatbed

Im aware of two cases that are a little different.
    A friend has a video of an evo being stripped in a carpark (his evo in under 20 min)
    I also heard of a civic spoon engine being lifted from a car up north (unverified)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Basically I was wondering what I can do to stop the local car thief - guy with the screwdriver, steel rule, etc - from making off with my motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Why steal you car??

Parts to order, regardless of the car model, if its on the list, concider you car gone... or the part they want gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

A hidden kill switch works wonders....it can be the cheapest and most effective security device... It wont stop them damaging your can but it can stop them getting away in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

If the car is rare, then garage it, and have a tracker fitted. Also put plenty of cameras in garage and in front of the door. That should stop them.:D

If it's an ordinary run-of-the-mill car (no offence) but it probably won't be stolen, unless it's an opportunistic theft.

luder wrote: »
    A hidden kill switch works wonders....it can be the cheapest and most effective security device... It wont stop them damaging your can but it can stop them getting away in the car.

Might look into ones of these always thought they were pretty cool. My uncle fitted one to a sierra years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the original question is can an immobilizer be easily bypassed.
    Which is an interesting question that I don't have the answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

listermint wrote: »
    Might look into ones of these always thought they were pretty cool. My uncle fitted one to a sierra years ago.

Into maplins pick up a switch for €3 tap into the wiring for the fuel pump and relocate the switch somewhere in around the drivers position...easy out!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I fitted one to my Micra a few years back. It was just a normal household switch hidden under the dashboard that cut of power from the ignition barrel to the starter motor. Cheap and cheerful.

luder wrote: »
    Into maplins pick up a switch for €3 tap into the wiring for the fuel pump and relocate the switch somewhere in around the drivers position...easy out!!:D

Done! and Done. Now got pick a lurvly place for it. hidden of course.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Done! and Done. Now got pick a lurvly place for it. hidden of course.;)

I tied the switch to one of the air vent pipes using cable ties. It was hidden behind alot of wires and it was quite hard to find, even if you did look under the dashboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I tied the switch to one of the air vent pipes using cable ties. It was hidden behind alot of wires and it was quite hard to find, even if you did look under the dashboard.

don't use the cigarette lighter. Thats common and the first thing i would try along with windows switches and headlights or any switch on the dash.

If you do tap the fuel pump use a relay to do it properly. I had one on the Silvia with a latching relay so i could switch it off and still leave the pump running for the turbo timer. (use google).

I used a switch in reach just under the rear seat.

If you need help for nobblie biscutes ill walk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I fitted one to my Micra a few years back. It was just a normal household switch hidden under the dashboard that cut of power from the ignition barrel to the starter motor. Cheap and cheerful.

Once the ignition is turned on that could still be started by shorting any piece of metal accross the starter motor, 2c coin, spanner, the screwdriver they used on your ignition barrel etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That might be the same sierra a relation of mine had. It wouldnt start and after weeks of work and various garages, someone found a kill switch which was accidentally moved by a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the original question is can an immobilizer be easily bypassed.
    Which is an interesting question that I don't have the answer to.

It depends - an aftermarket could be removed from the car, and it could be put back to it's original state with a bit of know-how - but this would still be a pain in the hole to do!

If it's a factory fitted immobiliser, it'd be an awful lot harder - you would probably need a new set of keys along with an e.c.u.

mickdw wrote: »
    That might be the same sierra a relation of mine had. It wouldnt start and after weeks of work and various garages, someone found a kill switch which was accidentally moved by a child!

Hee hee, Now that would be a funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I think the bottom line is if somebody really wants your car and they know what they are doing then they will take it. The only thing you can do is to take as many precautions as possible in order to make it really difficult and time consuming for them, steering lock, park other cars in front, bollards etc. As for kill switches they are great in theory but a lad I know had his impreza stolen and he had a kill switch with immobilisier etc. The kill switch was located in the gearbox cover which apparently is fairly common. Also with kill switches the owner can get complacent and not turn them on everytime they park up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hee hee, Now that would be a funny :D

I think it was a black seirra about 1985 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

What car have you got?

I see alot of people saying kill switch,i've had guys getting bits fitted but with no alarms and reckoned there car was unstealable due to a hidden switch,a piece of speaker cable and 12v and that was the end of that!

If you do fit a kill switch DONT fit it to the fuel pump,if a thief has enough time to get in and hotwire the car and realises theres no prime (which they will fairly quick) 12v to the pump and off they go.

If your going to do it do it via ecu power or a ground to really leave someone confused.

Advertisement