Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW DO I GET OUT OF JACKIE SKELLY CONTRACT?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hello,

I am moving to another city, one that, thankfully, doesn't have a Jackie Skelly. I want to cancel my membership. I have been a member in Drogheda for more than 12 months. I signed a contract for 12 months. This period is up and I have not signed on after this period was up (though have continued to use the service). I was told I needed to give them written warning 2 months in advance (and pay an extra 2 months). I do not want to give them any more money. How can I extract myself from this 'legally binding' contract? If I just cancel the direct debit can/will Jackie Skelly continue to pilfer my account? Also, if I just cancel the direct debit, will this show up on the Irish Credit Bureau--I would tend to think no, as it is not a loan or credit card etc.

Any advice welcomed!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

there seems to be an awful lot of people complaining about this. surely its costing them customers in terms of bad reviews of the place?
    personally id never go near them after reading all these threads about their direct debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Err, you signed a contract and now you want to break it?

Cough up for the extra two months and save your knee-caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

tell them you are going to work in watever country in the next week and basically its none of there business.you dont have to explain anything to the likes of them

or go the bank and cancel the direct debts!:D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have they actually set thugs on you? If not then they seem to be asking you to pay for the service which you've used, and hadn't paid for. Shame on them.

Read your contract and find out if what they say is true. If it is you may owe them some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whatever you do, don't fall into arrears with them!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=51938&d=1204208830

This was an ad ran in the evening papers not too long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

Hello,

I am moving to another city, one that, thankfully, doesn't have a Jackie Skelly. I want to cancel my membership. I have been a member in Drogheda for more than 12 months. I signed a contract for 12 months. This period is up and I have not signed on after this period was up (though have continued to use the service). I was told I needed to give them written warning 2 months in advance (and pay an extra 2 months). I do not want to give them any more money. How can I extract myself from this 'legally binding' contract? If I just cancel the direct debit can/will Jackie Skelly continue to pilfer my account? Also, if I just cancel the direct debit, will this show up on the Irish Credit Bureau--I would tend to think no, as it is not a loan or credit card etc.

Any advice welcomed!!
    if the period is up you do not have a contract!!!end of tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moving this from Fitness --> Consumer Issues; guys if it's not appropriate just bounce it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Read the contract- it may have a clause about auto-renewing after the 12 months and two months notice being required. If not then you don't owe them anything, and even if so it certainly sounds like they are being heavy-handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

i would talk to the consumer advice bureau. friend of mine had problems leaving them for the same reason. They got a debt collector on to him. Finally he said show me the contract that mentions the two months notice after the year is up and i'll pay you...else i'll bring you to court....funnily enough that was the end of it.

Mountjoy mugger...the person isn't trying to break a contract. they've done the year. they didn't sign up for 14 months. js are basically trying to rip people off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You agreed to give two months notice on leaving. You have not given this give it asap. Pay up. And leave. Simple.

Assuming of Course you agreed to the two months on sign up aw agreeing to terms or contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

This comes up quite a bit. I have limited sympathy. It's unfortunate that you're moving away and have to pay but them's contracts for you.

When you signed a contract with them, you had ample opportunity to read it, understand it and ask questions then. You should have taken into account the possibility of moving house, city or town and either accepted that you would have to continue to pay as per the terms of your legally binding agreement, or walked away and gone to another gym with more flexible options. Most contracts of this type "auto renew" when you continue to use them beyond the term. If you have car insurance for example, you often don't have to sign again for a second term.

It's all very easy to whine and moan about how evil these people are, but I would assume nobody twisted your arm behind you back and made you sign the contract. Sure you can say you were pressure sold or you didn't fully understand the agreement, but it's up to you at the time.

Honour your contract and pay your two months. Easier in the long run and it's what you signed up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cancel the direct debit. Write to JS telling them of your cancellation. Move to your new location. Good luck finding you after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm a member of Jackie Skelly as well (different branch) and while i'm quite happy at the moment if i leave i can see this happening but i never signed a contract or a direct debit form so what do they have to hold me? I think a lot of people are in the same boat. Ask them for a copy of your contract as you may find they don't have anything for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

In terms of contract law, its the norm for contracts to have an auto renew clause in them. when most business mention 12 month or 2 year contracts, generally its the minimum term they are referring to.

Unfortunately Jackie SKelly are very unaccommodating from my experience when someone is moving and wants the 2 months cancellation fee waived. It doesnt seem to harm business that much as they are still expanding and obviously generating the revenue.

From a "debt collection" view - i dislike that term, it creates visions of skinheads in suits calling to your door! I think the term credit controller is more appropriate!

Anyway, i imagine the amount that 2 months membership adds up to doesnt justify them from a cost perspective taking you to court even if you chose not to defend. (in which case a summary judgement would be obtained by the plaintiff.)

Then again some businesses do take some of their small debts to court to get the word out they wont let anyone away with not paying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Roper wrote: »
    This comes up quite a bit. I have limited sympathy. It's unfortunate that you're moving away and have to pay but them's contracts for you.

When you signed a contract with them, you had ample opportunity to read it, understand it and ask questions then. You should have taken into account the possibility of moving house, city or town and either accepted that you would have to continue to pay as per the terms of your legally binding agreement, or walked away and gone to another gym with more flexible options. Most contracts of this type "auto renew" when you continue to use them beyond the term. If you have car insurance for example, you often don't have to sign again for a second term.

It's all very easy to whine and moan about how evil these people are, but I would assume nobody twisted your arm behind you back and made you sign the contract. Sure you can say you were pressure sold or you didn't fully understand the agreement, but it's up to you at the time.

Honour your contract and pay your two months. Easier in the long run and it's what you signed up to.

No, don't think so really, VHI try the same rubbish when I left my employer and moved country. They said because i had auto renewed my contract because I hadnt told them i was cancelling. After a short phone conversation i was told that there would be no bill and the outstanding amount would be cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Cancel the Direct Debit, write to skellys giving 2 months notice and tell them in the letter that you will pop in to pay the 2 months and never do!! happy days, i know too people who have done it with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to clear up this "auto renew" stuff.

When people talk about 12-month contracts and so forth, what they are really referring to is the minimum period of the contract. That is, 12 months is the minimum length of time which you agree to stick to this contract. Once the 12 months is up, the contract continues to be in force, and you are required to give the notice specified in the contract in order to cancel it.

This confuses people and they think that after 12 months they are released from their contract. This isn't so. The minimum period is just a specific clause which says that if you cancel within the minimum period, you must pay for the entire period. Once that period is up, you are required to give the normal notice as specified in the contract.

So OP, stick to the legally binding document that you signed in the first place, pay your two months' notice and cancel the direct debit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

random wrote: »
    You agreed to give two months notice on leaving. You have not given this give it asap. Pay up. And leave. Simple.

Assuming of Course you agreed to the two months on sign up aw agreeing to terms or contract.

I'd have to agree with this, yes it sucks but if you didn't like the terms of the contract/agreement you shouldn't have signed it in the first place OR you should have paid better attention to aspects of it

Their not at fault in all this and are simply enforcing their contract/agreement,

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭NAGGIE03

I was a member of Drogheda branch also! Had to write them a letter telling them that i wanted to leave! They still took their two months from the bank! A friend of mine who joined at the same time as me jus went and cancelled her Direct Debit when the year was up and she hasnt heard anything from them! That was over three months ago!

Serve them written notice right now and cancel the direct debit (again in writing) with your bank. Ask them to produce the contract with your signature on it and abide by the terms if they do that. If they can't produce a contract with those terms though, you owe them nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

If you're moving house, especially to a different country, it's unlikely they'll pursue you for what you owe them as the cost associated with finding you would be too great. It doesn't impact on your credit rating unless a judgment is passed against you in court and it won't reach that stage if a summons can't be served to you in person. Besides, it's not like they make a habit of taking it that far for such small amounts of money - it would be completely uneconomical for them to do so.

If you really want them to drop it you could just have someone call in on your behalf advising them that you've recently passed away, then cancel your direct debit with your bank. While they might notice that your direct debits are being rejected for a reason other than 'debtor deceased' it's also not uncommon for banks to return the incorrect reasons when rejecting a direct debit and, for data protection reasons, your bank won't confirm to them either way if you're alive or dead.

IMHO faking your own death to get out of a Jackie Skelly contract is taking things just a little too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LolaDub wrote: »
    I'm a member of Jackie Skelly as well (different branch) and while i'm quite happy at the moment if i leave i can see this happening but i never signed a contract

This is quite dubious. If you were injured on their premises I would think their insurance would not cover you as you are not technically 'on the books' as a member..
    or a direct debit form so what do they have to hold me?

So you paid up front for the entire year? They could still chase you for the 2 month minimum notice to leave after the year is up...that is, if you had signed a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

seamus wrote: »
    The minimum period is just a specific clause which says that if you cancel within the minimum period, you must pay for the entire period. Once that period is up, you are required to give the normal notice as specified in the contract.
    From my reading of this, selling the product as having a "12 month minimum contract" is a touch misleading.

In the case above, you cannot actually exit the contract (without penalty) for 14 months - due to the 2 month's cancellation notice condition.

While I appreciate this may be stated in the T&Cs and the practice is fairly widespread (more commonly 1 month required), the practice is anti-consumer and should be outlawed.

Can anyone explain to me why JS need 2 months notice to cancel a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

cast_iron wrote: »
    They don't really need two months - it's just so they can squeeze extra money out of those who do cancel. And I'm sure many customers cancel regularly.

It's money for nothing to them really.

eth0_ wrote: »
    This is quite dubious. If you were injured on their premises I would think their insurance would not cover you as you are not technically 'on the books' as a member..

So you paid up front for the entire year? They could still chase you for the 2 month minimum notice to leave after the year is up...that is, if you had signed a contract.

They debit the monthly fee from my account so i am a member and can prove that between debits and they've supplied me with a members card but i never thought about it that way eth0.

When i signed up i told them i'd get back to them with my sort code etc so a few days later i got a text asking me what my details were. Texted back to that and billing begin but they have never asked me to sign a contract or direct debit form or even mentioned one. They did ask me to fill out a contact sheet that was just a poor photocopy asking for my name and address and phone number. Thats it.

I asked about the cancellation policy and they told me 10 months and no notice period needed.

From my reading of this, selling the product as having a "12 month minimum contract" is a touch misleading.

In the case above, you cannot actually exit the contract (without penalty) for 14 months - due to the 2 month's cancellation notice condition.

While I appreciate this may be stated in the T&Cs and the practice is fairly widespread (more commonly 1 month required), the practice is anti-consumer and should be outlawed.

Gyms make a ton of money from people who sign up and never use it. Technically if you want to cancel on time in this contract you should write to them at 10 months. They don't publicise this so they can squeeze you
    out of another 2 months. Jackie skellys are not consumer orientated in the least.

In all honesty what you should do from here is write to jackie skelly with your cancellation and instruct them to cease billing immediately and cancel your direct debit. When they contact you regarding the additional two months tell them they need to provide you with your contract and where it says this. I'm 99% sure they won't be able to provide this and then they won't pursue you for the two months. If you look up other jackie skelly threads here you will see this problem happening to many other members. Jackie skelly could pretty much never produce a contract when they were asked.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

JDxtra wrote: »
    They don't really need two months - it's just so they can squeeze extra money out of those who do cancel.
    That's what it stinks of, which is why it should be regulated in some way.
    One month's notice is more than enough to sort out any bank and admin issues.
    Gyms make a ton of money from people who sign up and never use it. Technically if you want to cancel on time in this contract you should write to them at 10 months. They don't publicise this so they can squeeze you
    out of another 2 months. Jackie skellys are not consumer orientated in the least.
    My understanding of (most of) these contracts is that you can't initiate a cancellation before the minimum period (12 months here), and must pay a further 2 months subscription contractually.

So, the minimum period is in fact 14 months. Advertising the contract as "12 months min" when the customer is actually bound for a min of 14 months is, imo, misleading advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So, the minimum period is in fact 14 months. Advertising the contract as "12 months min" when the customer is actually bound for a min of 14 months is, imo, misleading advertising.

You aren't bound for 14 months. It means you must remember to cancel at ten months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

I joined JS when it was first came to parkwest and there was nothing in the contract about 2 months notice or anything...it was a one pager. Thats the same contract my mate signed and when he asked them to produce it when they got the debt collectors on to him they couldn't. I think theres a minimum amt a debt collector will take on. My mate went over it cos it was himself and the missus cancelling together.

Advertisement