Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOW DO I GET OUT OF JACKIE SKELLY CONTRACT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LolaDub wrote: »

When i signed up i told them i'd get back to them with my sort code etc so a few days later i got a text asking me what my details were. Texted back to that and billing begin but they have never asked me to sign a contract or direct debit form or even mentioned one. They did ask me to fill out a contact sheet that was just a poor photocopy asking for my name and address and phone number. Thats it.

*scratches head*
    That sounds HIGHLY dubious and probably illegal! You're supposed to physically SIGN a direct debit mandate, the bank will not action the gym's request to setup the DD without this.

If I were you I would contact my bank and ask for a copy of the DD mandate the gym sent to them. I would be very interested in seeing if it had "your" sig on it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Type up notice in writing of your intention to cancel your contract. Date 2 months ago. Put in envelope. Drop on floor and walk on. Crumple up corners. Send to JS. Blame An Post. For good measure, rip in half first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

eth0_ wrote: »
    *scratches head*
    That sounds HIGHLY dubious and probably illegal! You're supposed to physically SIGN a direct debit mandate, the bank will not action the gym's request to setup the DD without this.

If I were you I would contact my bank and ask for a copy of the DD mandate the gym sent to them. I would be very interested in seeing if it had "your" sig on it :eek:

I don't actually want to cancel, but when i do i'll be using this alright! I know about 3/4 other people in my js and while they all signed a contract, none signed a direct debit form. Whenever js want to contact me its always by a text, a different number each time. I would assume its just members of staff using their mobiles afraid to talk to more unhappy customers although my js is alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is quite dubious. If you were injured on their premises I would think their insurance would not cover you as you are not technically 'on the books' as a member..

Whether or not he is a member would not impact insurance payout.
    cast_iron wrote: »
    From my reading of this, selling the product as having a "12 month minimum contract" is a touch misleading.

In the case above, you cannot actually exit the contract (without penalty) for 14 months - due to the 2 month's cancellation notice condition.

Of course you can cancel in month 2 giving 2 months notice. There is nothing in the contract to the contrary. Hence the name 12 month minmum term.
    *scratches head*

Its not illegal, they probaly subscribe to the Originator Plus paperless DD scheme which most utility service providers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

*scratches head*

The DD setup has changed a lot in the last year or two. As faceman says, a number of companies are now part of the "paperless" Direct Debit scheme which authorises them to set up direct debits without your signature. I'm not sure what the criteria are - obviously they need a bank account and sort code, and your agreement. It's sort of a trust agreement, which is good in theory, but they would want to be careful about letting the likes of Gyms sign up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

seamus wrote: »
    The DD setup has changed a lot in the last year or two. As faceman says, a number of companies are now part of the "paperless" Direct Debit scheme which authorises them to set up direct debits without your signature. I'm not sure what the criteria are - obviously they need a bank account and sort code, and your agreement. It's sort of a trust agreement, which is good in theory, but they would want to be careful about letting the likes of Gyms sign up to it.

That is so dodgy. I'm hesitant enough about using direct debits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Bord Gas, Eircom etc. all use Originator Plus - it's way handier when dealing in volumes. A mate of mine was a member in Jackie Skellys, she rang them up, gave them her "new" address and phone number (aka bogey) and cancelled her dd - no possible way to find her then. Might also help to change your phone number ;)

In all seriousness - take responsibility for the contract you put your signature to, also in the case of not signing a contract and using the facilities, you are by law activating the terms of said contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

There are rumours that Jackie Skelly will send the "BOYS" around to sort you out, but after more than a year as a member you should be fit enough to run..

Cancel the direct debit..
    Forget it !
    RUN RUN RUN

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sunny2004 wrote: »
    There are rumours that Jackie Skelly will send the "BOYS" around to sort you out, but after more than a year as a member you should be fit enough to run..

Forget it !
    RUN RUN RUN

Lets elaborate on what "debt collectors" are. Most companies when you dont pay your bills on time, will have their credit controllers call you or write letters to you advising you of your breach of contract/overdue bills.

Few companies use door to door collectors. Those who do, dont emloy skinheads in leather jackets with baseball bats! There are laws around pursuing consumers for debts! Door to door collectors for the most part are professional etc.

But lets not call it something that its not, if you signed a contract agreeing to payment terms etc and you default, then a company is fully entitled to pursue the debt (legally of course!)

faceman wrote: »
    Lets elaborate on what "debt collectors" are. Most companies when you dont pay your bills on time, will have their credit controllers call you or write letters to you advising you of your breach of contract/overdue bills.

Few companies use door to door collectors. Those who do, dont emloy skinheads in leather jackets with baseball bats! There are laws around pursuing consumers for debts! Door to door collectors for the most part are professional etc.

But lets not call it something that its not, if you signed a contract agreeing to payment terms etc and you default, then a company is fully entitled to pursue the debt (legally of course!)

Lets elaborate on what humour is ;) I was joking.....

• Advertisement

Lets elaborate on what humour is ;) I was joking.....

:o nothing to see here folks, move along, nothing to see here! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mairt wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't fall into arrears with them!..

attachment.php?attachmentid=51938&d=1204208830

This was an ad ran in the evening papers not too long ago.

Forget it !
    RUN RUN RUN
    Rumours you say. :)

LOL.. I was still joking.. I have no idea what they do at Jackie Skelly's..
    I dont use a gym as I am naturally beautiful and BUFF ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I use a gym and i'm still a fat ass, can i get a refund from js???

Joking! (not to the guy i sit on in the sauna)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'd pay up as it's definitely not worth the hassle; I gave them two months notice that I wanted to cancel my membership but even after the two months where up they kept taking money from my account.

They apologised and said it was a mistake but it took me at LEAST 30 phone calls and three months before I got my two months worth of fees back. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

yikes. Always remember to cancel the dd yourself. I've heard of a few organisations doing this..its not a mistake. they just hoping you wont notice a few extra payments gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cri

can anyone scan a contract up onto the web, remove the specific details. That will make it clearer to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

*scratches head*

Actually internet providers like IBB and clearwire don't require your signature at all,they deliver their product to you and once you take the product then you are bound to a contract.All they want from you is bank details.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Just to follow up on this thread. i am now free of Jackie Skelly Fitness. No DD taken from my account this month (though the bank teller did warn me that if I had used my laser card to pay them they could still keep charging me. He's seen it done before).
    I had to notify them in writing and when I asked them could they print out a cancellation form they said that the printer was broken so I had to handwrite 2 letters (one a copy) and get the manager to sign it. The manager, I was told, was extremely busy, as gym managers often are. So the beady eyed secretary signed the letters.

FREE FREE FROM THAT HORRID WOMAN SKANKIE SKELLY!!!! HURRAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well done. I'm still fighting the fight. Have been told by someone in the banking business that Jackie Skellys sometimes take the money from another of their accounts (ie:, not /OP DANCE LTD, or whatever the f**k it's called).

Have been getting the bank to stop every 3 months (they can only stop the DD for 3 months at a time, it seems).

Stopped ringing them a long time ago, and only communicate via registered letters.

They haven't sent out any threatening letters for a while, so I'll be sending them more mail soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

though the bank teller did warn me that if I had used my laser card to pay them they could still keep charging me. He's seen it done before

this happens, my girlfriend was trying to cancel with them after they broke an agreement for a 3 month intro offer and keep debiting her account. This was done despite "MOVING TO NEW ZEALAND AT END OF 3 MONTH OFFER" written clearly on both copies of the contract.

She called the bank and it transpired that what they were doing was using her laser number every month to debit her account. Bank were a bit surprised by the whole thing, thought it was a most unusual way to perform a debit. In the end she had to cancel her card and ring Jackie Skellys pretending to be a solicitor to finally talk to a manager (always in a meeting anytime she rang prior to this).

She got a girl on who had been giving her the run around each time she'd previously called saying she was only a receptionist. When asked by a "solicitor" what her title was it turned out she was the Accounts Manager. The minute court action was mentioned they dropped all claims to money owed.

I'll never have anything to do with them again, chancers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

the_syco wrote: »
    Have been getting the bank to stop every 3 months (they can only stop the DD for 3 months at a time, it seems).

That shouldn't be the case. Once you cancel a direct debit, then that's it. No more should be presented to your account for payment. Though, it does seem to depend on how useful/useless the bank, and/or staff, that you're dealing with are.

Go here, print off this page, bring it to the bank and staple it to the forehead of whoever it was you were dealing with. Make sure they pay particular attention to the bits that say:

Only pay Direct Debits in accordance with its customer’s instruction.

Ensure that unauthorised and/or cancelled Direct Debits are intercepted and returned immediately on presentation.

You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your Bank.

There are far too many idiots who have no idea how this works, working in the banks, and far too many companies willing to exploit it and take advantage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jor el wrote: »
    That shouldn't be the case. Once you cancel a direct debit, then that's it. No more should be presented to your account for payment. Though, it does seem to depend on how useful/useless the bank, and/or staff, that you're dealing with are.
    Excellent, thanks.

The bank (AIB) said I was to send Jackie Skellys a letter and a copy of said letter to AIB. And that the bank could only stop the payments for 3 months. After that, if the company (Jackie Skellys) could resume taking money out of my acount.

BTW, does anyone know whats the max amount you can claim in the small claims court against a company? Jackie Skellys are dragging their feet a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Excellent, thanks.

The bank (AIB) said I was to send Jackie Skellys a letter and a copy of said letter to AIB. And that the bank could only stop the payments for 3 months. After that, if the company (Jackie Skellys) could resume taking money out of my acount.
    My sister was told the exact same thing, in an AIB branch. She told them to shove it, then moved everything to PTSB.
    BTW, does anyone know whats the max amount you can claim in the small claims court against a company? Jackie Skellys are dragging their feet a bit.

€2000.

Advertisement