Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA 4?! Its a bit ****e really isn't it!!

• 08-07-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well i just traded in GTA 4 for the Orange Box and have to say it's the best decision i ever made!!

Half-life sp >>>>>>>>>> GTA 4 sp
    Team Fortress 2 mp >>>>>>>GTA4 mp
    Portal >>>>>>> All

I love my Orange box :cool:

I bought GTA 4 the day it came out and after a week had reverted back to playing COD4, FIFA 08 and GH3 all the time....GTA bored the absolute tits off me and i was a big fan of the originals!!

It ranks up there with overhyped ****e like Halo and Gears of War IMO.

That is all gentlemen.
    At ease.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I agree its overrated but isnt every game? IMO Gears is miles better than COD4 and GH2 is miles better than GH3. I loved the Orange Box but hated Team Fortress 2. Thats just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I agree its overrated but isnt every game?

+1 for that!

The game was over-hyped to ridiculous proportions but it is still the best game of it's type out there, no question. So to answer the OP's question/statement - no it is not.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

This is already going on in the GTA forum, no need to have it here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

he's comparing it to other xbox titles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Its far from crap........but I think anyone who bought into all the 10s/100% floating around was asking for trouble..

It was good while it lasted, but offers me no reason to go back to it............which surprised me really, as I used to like just booting up Vice City and San Andreas (even only the other week) just to have a drive/fly around for a while..
    GTA4 just doesn't have that feeling for me and probably never will....but definitely worth the first playthrough..

In these days on constant media attack, IGN exclusives, first "bought" reviews blah, blah, blah..........I'm afraid "superhype" is just going to be more and more common with major titles and sequels..
    IMO, Gears of War was definitely one of the most averagely disappointing games I've had the misfortune to play and I cannot for the life of me understand why its held in high regard :confused: (even every preview/video of the 2nd one just gets a big "meh" from me)..
    But I undertstand that that's just my opinion........just like other people thinking that GTA4 is brutal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

GTA is a great game in my opinion. Nothing could have lived up the hype that was put out. I'll be downloading the extra content when it comes out for sure. I think where it failed was the multiplayer, it's no threat to CoD4. I liked the realism they went for – but it did take away from the free playing aspect that previous games had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I finished it and haven't gone back to play it - Not because its crap, I think its an excellent piece of work, but because you see most of it while playing the game (unless you're trying to beat the 30 hour achievement), and as previously mentioned the MP isn't up to scratch for repayibility.

The downloadable content will play a big part for this title. Expansion is a must and the small things like parachutes have to make an appearance.
    I'm sure R* are watching closely on the criticisms on this game as well for future titles.

The game follows the winning formula that the previous games had, its just our expectations were waaaaaay to high and we're left disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hes pretty right tbh

10/10 me bollix

its a solid 7/10 game, nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I loved gta4, played it to death but I also agree it was abit overrating and there are plenty of things in it that could have been improved and therefore I dont think it deserved 10s/100%, but definitely a low to mid 90 :)
    the sheer amount of details put into the game has to deserve credit, but some things, like the TV stations are kinda pointless and dont have the same affect as a good radio station which I think they should have spent more time at instead and lazlo wasnt in it enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's both a damning indictment of the creativity and motivation of Rockstar, and praise for the achievements of the first 3D installment, that GTAIV hasn't really moved on at all from GTA III.

It's fun, but it's not revolutionary. Barely even evolutionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Amen to this thread, I have the two of em aswell and I personally think that the orange box is the best game\s for the 360 by a long long shot. There is so much playing time in it and the graphics in episode two are stunning. I dont think GTA IV was a bad game, just overhyped and its nothing that hasnt been seen before only with better graphics and more detail. I also wasnt overly impressed with COD4, dont get me wrong I thought it was v.good esp the death from above level but I just think again its been overhyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

cadogs wrote: »
    Well i just traded in GTA 4 for the Orange Box and have to say it's the best decision i ever made!!

Half-life sp >>>>>>>>>> GTA 4 sp
    Team Fortress 2 mp >>>>>>>GTA4 mp
    Portal >>>>>>> All

I love my Orange box :cool:

I bought GTA 4 the day it came out and after a week had reverted back to playing COD4, FIFA 08 and GH3 all the time....GTA bored the absolute tits off me and i was a big fan of the originals!!

It ranks up there with overhyped ****e like Halo and Gears of War IMO.

That is all gentlemen.
    At ease.

How can you compare GTA to Half Life when they are completely different genres of games? Thats like saying COD4 is a thousand times better than Pro Evo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

quarryman wrote: »
    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'm still playing GTA single player and enjoying it. I haven't played much multiplayer on it though. The attention to detail in it is great such as Jacob smoking in the car or the way you can smash through the front window. Nico is a great character too. It's better, and less frustrating, than San Andreas. Of course GTA was overhyped but it was released at a quiet time of year with little else out.

The best Xbox title to date? Orange Box, just because of Episode 2

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"just because of Portal."

FYP....

DeV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

DarkJager wrote: »
    How can you compare GTA to Half Life when they are completely different genres of games? Thats like saying COD4 is a thousand times better than Pro Evo...

Yeah. They're not directly comparable really.
    It's both a damning indictment of the creativity and motivation of Rockstar, and praise for the achievements of the first 3D installment, that GTAIV hasn't really moved on at all from GTA III.

It's fun, but it's not revolutionary. Barely even evolutionary.

I can switch from "but it's not revolutionary" to "there's two much expecting the wheel to be reinvented" myself, but I think I'm with the latter for GTAIV.

At least we can agree it's fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I can switch from "but it's not revolutionary" to "there's two much expecting the wheel to be reinvented" myself, but I think I'm with the latter for GTAIV.

At least we can agree it's fun.

Yeah, it is fun. However, when playing the game, you can't help but feel that you've seen it all before. A few gimmicky additions and incremental improvements like the mobile phone, taxi-riding etc, there's nothing new. There's a real sense of ennui when you're playing.

It's by no means a bad game, but nor is it a great game. It's the heralding of this game as top-of-the-pile and an aspirational benchmark for others that offends me. If this represents a 10/10 360/PS3 game, then I don't know why I didn't just stick with my PS2, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I think games like these are hard to rate, its defiantly not a 10/10 however it is an improvement over gta3/vice city and I would still rate those games highly, prob 8/10 now, and gta4 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

quarryman wrote: »

ya wannabe Comedian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know what, I bought my 360 to play GTA IV. I don't regret this purchase one bit. I expected myself to be glued to it and for a while I was. The initial "OOOOOOOOOOOO" has worn off and I'm more interested in other things at the moment. It's all been said already by several of ye - the game hasn't changed, it's just got prettier.

Am I disappointed? Absolutely not.

Do I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread? Absolutely not.

Will I finish the game: Absolutely!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

ya wannabe Comedian

think that was Voltaire who said that.

Advertisement