Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent articles on all of Treasures games

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The superb Hardcore Gaming 101 has done a load of great articles covering all of Treasures games, of Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga fame, if anyone is interested in reading them or bored at work.

The links are on the front page here: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

Check out the other articles as well they are all of extremely high quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks Retr0gamer. I'm one of those weirdos that couldn't warm to Gunstar Heroes at all, but I love Ikaruga, Sin and Punishment, and especially Astro Boy (spent a good chunk of time getting 100% in that when it came out).

Can't wait for Bangai-O Spirits on the DS next month either. Played the Japanese version and it looks great, but I haven't a flippin' clue whats going on (12/08/08 in US, 22/08/08 in EU)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

:eek: You didn't like Gunstar Heroes, I thought that was physically impossible. I love practically all of treasures games, even if there are a few duds like Freakout. Did you get Ikaruga on xbox live arcade? I bought it during the weekend and completely anihilated the scores of everyone on my friends list on my first go, I need a challenge :)

I bought Gunstar Heroes for Virtual Console on the Wii, and it was the first time I played it. I just thought it was kinda flickery and blocky... maybe it just hasn't aged well. :eek: Sorry :)

Yes I got Ikaruga on XBLA - I said I liked it, I didn't say I was any good at it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

god i love gunstar heroes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Flickery and Blocky, hmmm, I wouldn't use those words to describe the game. For me it's one of the nicest looking 2D games ever made and by far the best looking game on the megadrive. It controls really smoothly as well unless you picked fixed shot instead of free shot. I don't think it's aged a day at all. I remember first seeing it on gamesmaster and thinking it was a SNES or NeoGeo game since it looked so good. Difference of opinion maybe but I'm finding it hard to see whats wrong with it. Did you give it a decent go as the free shot character?

In Ikaruga I kind of thought it was funny that I was able to beat everyones score on my friends list before the chapter 1 cutscene started after the first 15 seconds of gameplay :) I wouldn;t even consider myself good at it.

• Advertisement

Ah OK, you've talked me into it. I'll give it another lash tonight.
    I did like it - I just never got what the undying fuss was about.

It might be that it's a little overhyped there certainly is a lot of gushing about it. It is however up there with Metal Slug as the pinnacle of run and gun games. It was certainly mind blowing at the time of release. It totally blew me away at the time and I played and beating it countless times during my 16-bit days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gunstar Heroes can be described with only one word:
    FUN, FUN, FUN!! :pac:

Beats Metal Slug for sheer fun value (probably because you can get hit more than once without dying)

If all else fails, I can have a game of Crime and Punishment while my Wii is on. :)

Advertisement