Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False advertising or not?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I passed Subway near me recently, and they had a sign saying "Any 6' Sub from our menu + drink £4"

So, I went in, ordered the BBQ chicken and bacon from the menu, to be told, that that particular sub wasn't included in the deal.

Sure enough, the small print said "Excludes BBQ chicken and bacon, Beef,..."
    All standard subs listed on the menu.

Are they allowed do this? The sign said "Any sub from the menu". Can places make a claim in big letters, and then, in small print, completely negate the statement? I mean, once you start making exclusions like that, it's no longer true.

I'm asking this more out of curiosity than anything else. it was a couple of weeks ago, something else in this forum, just reminded me of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it's blatantly misleading, which from the sound of your description it appears to be, then make a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland. They really do investigate every complaint that is made to them. (I made one a few years ago and had it upheld too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Send a complaint to the ASAI alright. They recently had a similar complaint about O2 saying something like "Everything, 20 euro off" but then you find out that some items were excluded. The ASAI stated that you can't claim that "Everything's on sale" when there are exclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

But the Subway in question is in London, so unless they have the same deal here, contact the ASA for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, it was just curiosity, rather than any real issue, so I'm not going to lodge a complaint.
    If anything, i should contact Subway. I bet they'd send me some vouchers to shut me up.

Advertisement