Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid pets

Options
  • 08-07-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Just thought Id share with all the boardsies that yesterday I got the fright of my life walking my dog yesterday.

She ran out of the field I was walking her in and out onto the main road, and continued walking down the middle of this busy road all with me running behind her and calling her, trying to get her off the road. Shes normally quite good, and shes never done anything like this before, she comes to me if I call her in the field but not as soon as I get to the top of the field near the gate. Ill try bringing cheese with me today, call her and reward her when she comes over. Any other tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Sorry but it has to be said! Keep her on the lead!! If you can't trust her, she could run out again and cause an accident!

Practice recall techniques at home in a secure garden ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Glowing wrote: »
    Sorry but it has to be said! Keep her on the lead!! If you can't trust her, she could run out again and cause an accident!

Practice recall techniques at home in a secure garden ....

If she had done this before I wouldnt let her off the lead, this is a new thing with her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Is your dog neutered?

Edit: Oh I just saw she was a girl :) - is she spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Yup, a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think it's best to keep pooch on a lead, you can get lunge leads which are reaaaaaaly long longer than the usual stringy ones you get in the shop.
    Keep up with the recall training too though in case she ever slips the lead or anything, and never give out to her even if she takes ages to come back she will only think she's being scolded for coming back not for taking too long to come back.

Keep it interesting by offering her chicken one day, ham the next etc etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement