Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A "Meet" or a protest?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

hey,

The esso at the junction of the naas road and the long mile road was absolutely FULL with cars on sunday evening around 9 ish. They were mostly "modified" cars and I was just wondering if this was a cruise/meet or were they blocking up the fuel station in protest to high fuel prices??

Anybody else see it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there was a classic car show in Terenure that day, there were some 90's cars in it too. that's what that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

ok, put it this way. most of the 90's stuff at Terenure that day were: Sierra Cosworths, RX7's, FTO's M3's etc. i.e sporty cars.

there could have been a cruise, but as Terenure was admitting show cars at 10-ish, I'd say a fair chunk of them were from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

OP said Sunday EVENING.

Most cars were leaving Terenure around 1800, so that was unlikely to have been the source.

• Advertisement

oops, I read 9 in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Basically a Load of the 'Lads' (and Girls I might add) out for a race.

They don't even race in the industrial estates anymore. They o up and down main roads

Kilbarrack Road is a Great example... Should be called Kilbarrack Drift!

I live in about 500M away and I can hear there Engines and Exhausts as they race up and down that road. You can call the Garda but when(if) they arrive in their little Fiesta I think they don't bother. Stupid really

The Garda should have better cars.
    Road racing is getting way to common... its so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on the description of the Garda presence from one of the lads I work with who's unfortunately childish enough (well, he is a child...) to go along to these, it sounds as if its one of the ANPR Jeeps out to basically record who's present.

It'll last a couple of weeks or months, then one night while they're congregating in the industrial estate the guards will block all the roads in/out and scoop every single one of them for noisy exhausts / undeclared modifications on insurance / tax / insurance / whatever they can get them for. Has happened with 'meets' elsewhere in the country.

MYOB wrote: »
    Based on the description of the Garda presence from one of the lads I work with who's unfortunately childish enough (well, he is a child...) to go along to these, it sounds as if its one of the ANPR Jeeps out to basically record who's present.

It'll last a couple of weeks or months, then one night while they're congregating in the industrial estate the guards will block all the roads in/out and scoop every single one of them for noisy exhausts / undeclared modifications on insurance / tax / insurance / whatever they can get them for. Has happened with 'meets' elsewhere in the country.

that would make to much sense for Raheny Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

There was a squad car present... A YARIS!!!

I was on a bus and the whole bus errupted with laughter when we saw this Yaris squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

grahambo wrote: »
    that would make to much sense for Raheny Garda

The Naas Road is in Raheny now? :confused:

MYOB wrote: »
    The Naas Road is in Raheny now? :confused:

I ment the Garda in Raheny wouldnt bother catching them in a an industrial estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Cops can't do them on loud exhausts (as there's no legal limit in Ireland) or non disclosure to insurance company.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    or non disclosure to insurance company.

what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Hi everyone, just gonna add my 2cents worth here.

I'm out in Florida at the minute, all the cars here are huge, the smallest engine i've seen is a 2litre turbo in a Golf GTI which is inefficient to say the least ( they are the yanks ).

You see a lot of modded cars here, particularly pickups etc. There are some loud chevvy's and stuff around, much louder then at home and much more noticeable then a modded EVO or anything.

Every tuesday in the local mall there's a gathering of all modded cars/trucks/50's classics, you name it. Police pop in to see the cars, not to break it up and send everyone packing home. People doing donuts, burnouts, all things which people at home think is unearthly. People here are facilitated, not blocked from having fun.

There are drag strips every 20 or 30 miles to let people have their fun, it's all taken in as a family thing, unlike at home when there's any kind of fun to be had it must be stopped.

I think people need to lighten up, Ireland has totally become a country ruled by Health and Safety, rules, laws, red tape.

Our excise duty on the fuel is as much as fuel costs here. Home has become an unpleasant place to live, people complaining, the law clamping down so hard.

Let people have their fun, we all need to stop being spoilsports. If I see some guy on a motorbike popping a wheelie I love it, I don't ring up and complain that there is someone actually having fun. Big exhausts, go faster stripes, extra lights, go for it, dare to be different.

Lighten up folks....

-rant over-

Advertisement