Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas units being used without heating being on

Options
  • 08-07-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

As the title suggest. We have recently moved house but the central heating hasn't been turned on since we moved although i've noticed that the gas meter has increased in the mean time by about 15 units in the last 5-6 weeks. Anyone any ideas what could be using this or is it possible to check for a leak in a pipe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

sounds like a leak to me,there is a certain amount of a leak permitted although you still might want to get it seen to, get a gas certified plumber to check it with a U-gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

hi ya,

anything other than heating hooked up to the gas; e.g. gas hob? i'd recommend getting the boiler serviced by Bord Gais if you haven't already, the engineer will be able to suss it our for you. I'd say you'd smell a leak anyway, but 15 units in 5 weeks is just a trickle, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Some older gas boilers have a pilot light (v.small gas burner) which remains lit continuously even when the boiler is not in use. You can usually see it through a small window on the front of the boiler. There should be a gas control knob on the boiler which is either off, pilot, or on. Turn it off to put out the pilot light, or close the main gas valve near the boiler. Make sure you know how to relight it when you need to use the boiler again!

15 meters cubed is approx 173 kWh, worth about 8 or 9 euros. Sounds like a lot of gas for a pilot light, are you sure there is not a hob or something else in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Pete67 wrote: »
    Some older gas boilers have a pilot light (v.small gas burner) which remains lit continuously even when the boiler is not in use. You can usually see it through a small window on the front of the boiler. There should be a gas control knob on the boiler which is either off, pilot, or on. Turn it off to put out the pilot light, or close the main gas valve near the boiler. Make sure you know how to relight it when you need to use the boiler again!

15 meters cubed is approx 173 kWh, worth about 8 or 9 euros. Sounds like a lot of gas for a pilot light, are you sure there is not a hob or something else in use?

The hob and the oven are electric so it's not that. The problem is that I can not see the boiler as it's a very unusual set up (well to me anyway). It an 1950s council house where the central heating was installed recent enough. The boiler is actually in the chimney breast in the living room with a gas fire in front of this is that makes any sense. Was going to get the boiler serviced before the winter anyway but was just worried that a leak may be potentialy. Will have a look this evening to see if can get at the boiler and have a proper look at it.

I think you would smell the leak if it accounted for that much gas consumption! I'd guess that the fire or the boiler, or both, have pilot lights which are using a small amount of gas continually. But you're right, if in doubt get them checked properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

landydef wrote: »
    sounds like a leak to me,there is a certain amount of a leak permitted although you still might want to get it seen to, get a gas certified plumber to check it with a U-gauge

Theres no such thing as leaks been allowed ,all gas pipes have to be completely sound.
    The model of boiler that the op has mentioned has a pilot light on it ,but the reading would be tiny. Getting it serviced would probably be the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If I suspected a leak, however small I would call out Bord Gais immediately. As the ad says, if you smell gas call us immediately. You can't smell the gas (leak might be too small or venting into the outside air) but it is going somewhere if the meter is recording it.

Or maybe you have a faulty meter and are being overcharged on your bills as a result! Either way, call them out. I wouldn't wait for a boiler service if I were you, and afaik call outs to suspected leaks are free. They'd rather that people not take a chance if they think there might be a leak.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Bord Gais will call and turn your gas off ,if it is leaking. You then need to ring a registered gas installer to come and repair the leak ,turn your gas back on.

A quick search of google indicates that a pilot light on 24/7 consumes about £45 (UK data) worth of gas per annum. The OP is seeing about €90 per annum based on the quoted meter readings, so this could well be associated with a pilot light or two.

Easy test, find the gas isolating valves at each appliance, and turn them off. If the meter reading continues to increase then there is definately a leak somewhere in the distribution system.

If there is a concern about a possible leak the first thing I would do is shut off the gas at the meter, then get a professional to check it out.

311 wrote: »
    Bord Gais will call and turn your gas off ,if it is leaking.

That's helpful of them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bord Gais don't do repairs on gas lines within your property ,thats the responsibility of a registered gas installer.

Thats the way it's always been.

That's not always the way it's been, it's not all that many years ago when you went to a Gas Co. showroom to buy an appliance and the Gas Co. themselves came out to fit it, for free... less than 20 years ago anyway.

I'm working on Gas for over twelve years now ,the people who installed your cooker where not employed by bord gais.

Advertisement