Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 kids + 2 dogs + wife. Help me FFS!

Options
  • 08-07-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Lo lads. Need help here. As the title suggests, Im on the lookout for a large vehicle to carry all of the above plus luggage. Herself likes the look of the new Peugeot 4007 SUV but the asking price for diesel is in the early 40's. Some questions:
    1. 43k is a lot of money, No?
    2. Are we mad to even consider a new Car (08 reg)?
    3. Is a diesel drinking Suv a daft option in this day and age? fuel is unlikely to ever come down in price and Im worried about future resale value of the 4007. We do however see ourselves keeping it for around 10 years.

Is there a decent alternative, one that can carry all that, maybe a bit cheaper to buy and run? I realise Estate cars are the obvious solutions but I cant stand them! :) Is there anything to be said for the 4007/suv choice?

Any ideas appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think the only solution is to get rid of the wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Why don't you like estate cars?

I'd recommend getting a 2 or 3 year old Volvo V70 instead. Buying a new car is madness really, let someone else take the depreciation hit & save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Click pic
    600-volvo-xc70.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭blackbox

2 dogs and a wife - has to be a Volvo estate.

But remember to open the window when smoking your pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

1+

I agree. Get rid of the wife, she'll take the kids and the dogs then you can spend €40k on something a bit nicer!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

DaBreno wrote: »
    Is there a decent alternative, one that can carry all that, maybe a bit cheaper to buy and run? I realise Estate cars are the obvious solutions but I cant stand them! :) Is there anything to be said for the 4007/suv choice?

Any ideas appreciated!

Odd viewpoint considering the 4007/Mitsubishi Outlander/Citroen C Crosser (all same chassis) are estates on stilts, ugly ones at that. Im not one of the anti-SUV crowd, but I dont consider any of those vehicles SUVs..

Roofbox also sounds like a requirement for you:
    Corvara-A6-WP800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i too was gonna suggest Audi Estate. Nice car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

2005-07-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-06810061990006.jpg

will run rings around the above, and won't break down every two miles too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Get the wife an old Hi-Ace and you can spend the rest on a sporty convertable.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

cancan wrote: »
    2005-07-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-06810061990006.jpg

will run rings around the above, and won't break down every two miles too...

+1

The 4007 is a nice looknig car, but it is just an estate on steroids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Get a stretch hummer. It might be expensive but it's so big you can probably live inside it too and that way you will be able to sell your house to offset the cost :D

Seriously though, I think it makes sense to consider things like emissions and road tax and insurance. With the yearly road tax on new cars now based on emissions, some of the higher end gas guzzling vehicles will have their road tax increase significantly. I'd advise checking this out yourself whilst searching and don't necessarily take the dealers/owners word for it about how much the road tax will be. You'd probably be able to get enough information about a car from any ad to allow you to work out the estimated road tax.

I don't know much about diesel's to be honest. Apparently they are more economical, but at the same time diesel is more expensive than petrol at the moment, so does it really work out much different? To be honest I really don't know the details about why diesels are better/worse than petrol cars, but I guess that's something to consider.

Although with the price of oil rising and rising, I doubt the prices of petrol or diesel will come down anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

RS6:D

See that on top gear a few weeks ago? Who needs an estate with that much power?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Ford S Max or Galaxy - would be nicer to drive than almost any of those cars mentioned above (maybe even the A6), although I have to admit the Subaru Legacy diesel at 31k would take some beating imo as a great family lugger.

I know I keep going on about this but Autocar did a masive road test on SUV's and all the testers said the car they liked best was the S-Max used as the camera car.

There is even a 2.5 turbo one if your completely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It really depends on how much money you want to spend and how much importance you place on what you drive.

The cheapskate, no frills, A to B version would be to buy one of the popemobile style passenger vans like Fiat Doblo, Citroen Berlingo or Renault Kangoo (all available for under 20 k) and just drive them till they are no more.

Not sure which would be the best one from a CO2 pont of view, but I reckon the Doblo with the 1.3 diesel should do fairly well.

You will of course get zero kudos and quite a few sniggers for driving one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

VW Caravelle. 'nuff said.:cool:

(And where do you get the idea that €43k is a lot of money?):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If you spend 40K on a car you intend to keep for 10 years it will be worth nothing when you go to sell. If you want a new car better to trade every 2 years to make it work.
    Otherwise buy a hilux surf, you might'nt get a new one but it will depreciate f all in 10 years and will probably still be running exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

I had one of these. Get the '94 diesel and it will last for you for years.

260518.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorted http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Hilux/3.0-D4D/1116456/

and you can keep the wife in the back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Estate Cars are becoming fashionable again.

Hyundai Santa Fe Lad to get you out of trouble.

Failing that I would go with VW Careville thingy up above ^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If you want an SUV go for one, there are lots of reasons not to which we have all heard before:
    uncomfortable to drive
    more aqward to park
    lots of stick from other boards users:D
    may become a liability when future oil prices become too high and the market is flooded with second hand 4x4s
    more expensive tyres and brakes
    less room than a similar sized people carrier
    etc.

but then there are the posatives:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Thanks for all the ideas. Plenty of estate recommendations as I thought!

What about the new Ford Mondeo estate, would anybody recommend? Seems to be a good job. One fear I have of buying a new car is loosing a ton of money on it through depreciation. Am I condemned to this, would it be worth anything at all after a ten year period?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Ford S Max or Galaxy - would be nicer to drive than almost any of those cars mentioned above (maybe even the A6),

I know I keep going on about this but Autocar did a masive road test on SUV's and all the testers said the car they liked best was the S-Max used as the camera car.

There is even a 2.5 turbo one if your completely insane.
    I mentioned the Smax, shes not gone on it but I didnt get into an argument over it as it seems to cost almost as much as the 4007! Not the solution I thought it would be. but we may come back to it.

Slig wrote: »
    If you spend 40K on a car you intend to keep for 10 years it will be worth nothing when you go to sell.
    Yeah, i was afraid of this. Can I assume this applies to All vehicles? 10 years is a good stretch I suppose. Seems like a waste to see 40k go down to almost nothing.....

steve06 wrote: »
    Best idea so Far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A renault Laguna estate (prestige) has loads of room, the boot area is flat without wheel arches impinging so plenty of room for the hounds and a rucksack strapped against one side, leaving enough room for a large GSD and a medium size lab to recline in comfort. We changes to a BMW 318 SEI estate and found that we lost a lot of space particularly in the back, the boot is also smaller and a less useful shape.

Dont forget if you are carrying hounds then most of your luggage will have to go into rear footwells and in between sprog seats in the back.

Then again you could always get the car you want and add a roof box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Just a quick update on this one, We've settled on the Hyundai Santa Fe. I just couldnt bring myself to fork out 40k on a new machine and watch that investment drop like a stone. The reviews have been positive about the Hyundai, am hoping to get a two year-old(the New model). Maybe a 2.2 diesel and grow as much rapeseeds as I can in the back garden.

I quite liked the Ford Smax but its pricey plus she didnt like the look of it. So that was that.
    I also like the new Honda Cr-v but it still seems pricey, around the mid-30's at the moment. Maybe in a couple of years....

Advertisement