Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with new motor

• 08-07-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Me 21st is comin up and getting a few quid off the parents towards a new set of wheels..Options are;
    • Ford Focus (05-06)
    • Mitsu Lancer (1.6)
    • Honda Civic (02-)
    Obviously going to get mod'd..STYLISHLY HAHA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would pick the civic out of those options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Get an Mk 5!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I would go for a Mivec Lancer 1.6. Great engine,great handling,great looks, just a great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lancer will prob look better modified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

sugarman wrote: »
    Im gonna say the focus, something different, everyone has a civic or lancer..

Nice wide body full rs kit on there would look the business!

yeah thats what i'm thinking. everyone out my way has old school civics or glanzas. id rather a steady car that can be transformed into a beast so to speak but that is totally different to everyone else..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

depending on how much you have, id buy a decent mivec colt or sylvia maybe? if its modding your into ? Or if your a classic head, maybe a mk1 or mk2 , r5 turbo? 205 gti ?

depending on how much you have, id buy a decent mivec colt or sylvia maybe? if its modding your into ? Or if your a classic head, maybe a mk1 or mk2 , r5 turbo? 205 gti ?
    ah it'd be modding im into..(when i have the money :D).. yea the sylvias are nice but me insurance on a two litre would be mad...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

insurance can be rough but the 1.8 lancer gsr turbos are a decent car.

in fact they were nearly quoting me the same for a gsr as an evo 5 so maybe thats out of the question!!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    insurance can be rough but the 1.8 lancer gsr turbos are a decent car.

in fact they were nearly quoting me the same for a gsr as an evo 5 so maybe thats out of the question!!

if it was a car like this i wouldnt say no ha

the gsr's are nice 1086730

but would't really be me cup a tea tbh...

insurance is too expensive these days that for a 1.8 or 2 litre they just laugh.....:mad:

would you be looking for something in around a 1.6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kmart6 wrote: »
    Get an Mk 5!!:D:D:D:D

I like ur style:D... But really, get a MK5! Or a newish MK4 tdi or something to that extent.

I just got a quote on my existing policy for a 1.6 mirage miver r , 44 euro's more than my quote now on a 1.4 ? doesnt seem to make sense! be careful of insurers, they seem to make up there quotes as they go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

dont get a focus they couldnt be any slower if you drove in reverse, i have one for the missus and the 1.2 bravo she had before it was ten times better. you will need something with a bit of pull in it so i say go for the lancer on the civic, if you get the focusa and try overtake you will get hurt. im not talking about getting a quick car or racing it just everyday overtaking it just wont happen. go back a couple of years and get yourself a mivec lancer nippy enough and some subtle kits out there too look well on them, or if you prefer the honda get yourself an ek couple, they look very well lowered and with a front lip and nice set of wheels no more is needed on them.

would you be looking for something in around a 1.6?

yup going for a 1.6 jus so the insurance doesnt leave me selling meself on the streets to pay for it ha

dont get a focus they couldnt be any slower if you drove in reverse, i have one for the missus and the 1.2 bravo she had before it was ten times better. you will need something with a bit of pull in it so i say go for the lancer on the civic, if you get the focusa and try overtake you will get hurt. im not talking about getting a quick car or racing it just everyday overtaking it just wont happen. go back a couple of years and get yourself a mivec lancer nippy enough and some subtle kits out there too look well on them, or if you prefer the honda get yourself an ek couple, they look very well lowered and with a front lip and nice set of wheels no more is needed on them.

yea but the new style focus is amazin i think...

ah i wouldnt mind going japanese or the coupe but i have to be able to trade me current motor in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

imho , civic or the focus, lancers are ok but dont good modded... nor to most irish cars but thats not the point...

generally you get a better tuner effect on a focus ( euro ) or a jap style on the civic... depends on your taste really...

focus generally looks better ( in my opinion ) and well, is a better lookign car from stock, civics are very common so making something cool is difficult when everyone is using the same parts but yeah, mod with your heart, not with your brain/bank manager.

yea but the new style focus is amazin i think...

ah i wouldnt mind going japanese or the coupe but i have to be able to trade me current motor in.
    dont get me wrong mate they are amazing lookin but unless you can afford the st or the rs then you wont be going anywhere quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

S.I.R wrote: »
    civics are very common .

tbh i see a HELL of a lot more focus's on the road than civics.

Is it possible to get a mitsubishi mivec asti rs in irish model? I have being trying quinn for insurance, but they need the chasis number to make sure it isnt japanese. Cant get insured on a japanese car, dont know if that means first registered or imported?

Is it possible to get a mitsubishi mivec asti rs in irish model? I have being trying quinn for insurance, but they need the chasis number to make sure it isnt japanese. Cant get insured on a japanese car, dont know if that means first registered or imported?

That sounds like a load of sh*te imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It means imported from japan, japanese cars run on different petrol, can have less safety and less security features than over here in europe so there harder to insure.

As far as I know theres no such thing as a european model asti rs, if your having trouble getting insurance talk to the insurance federation - http://www.iif.ie

Rang today on getting insured on a standard mivec, which they did not seem to understand. They said they could insure me on the model : colt mirage, but not on the model mirage? Seemed to be a bit of a smarmy guy too, wasnt very tolerable of my inquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

my pbrother owned a mi-vec... Strongly advise other-wise... Zero power till you redline, rev high and you get puleld straight away, so yeah, keep the tax/nct.insurance details handy... You will hate it Very Quickly :(

any other suggestions? easy to insure essential, was thinking a 205 gti ? any views?

The ould Golf gettin no look in haha:P

any other suggestions? easy to insure essential, was thinking a 205 gti ? any views?

AE111 Toyota Levin - 150 - 160 bhp

Toyota Corolla G6R - 110bhp

106 gti/saxo vtr - 120bhp

draffodx wrote: »
    AE111 Toyota Levin - 150 - 160 bhp

Toyota Corolla G6R - 110bhp

106 gti/saxo vtr - 120bhp

yup levin is a BEAUTY

was thinking a saab900 turbo? How would that be ? Cant insure a Sprinter because of their no jap car policy

its easy to get by the jap car policy by simply asking to speak to a supervisor or management, i assume its quinn? are you with them already or looking for a new policy?

• Advertisement

Yes i am already holding a policy with them , seems a bit unusual in my opinion. Once they hear my age they think they can just talk to me like im stupid , which in terms of cars certainly isnt the case.

as said above, buy the car you want and ring quinn tell you have alreay bought it and that you wana transfare the insurance to the new car give then the reg and off you go, if the person on the other end of the phone says they cant do it tell them to get a supervisor, quinn have a supervisors code that unlocks different cars on the system for different people for some reason, i had to go through the whole speal a few times for different people (mates) that wanted to get insured on cars they were told no so i done it for them. i also had to do it when i got my first skyline too but then when i got my second it was hassle free.

as said above, buy the car you want and ring quinn tell you have alreay bought it and that you wana transfare the insurance to the new car give then the reg and off you go, if the person on the other end of the phone says they cant do it tell them to get a supervisor, quinn have a supervisors code that unlocks different cars on the system for different people for some reason, i had to go through the whole speal a few times for different people (mates) that wanted to get insured on cars they were told no so i done it for them. i also had to do it when i got my first skyline too but then when i got my second it was hassle free.

But the risk here, is buying the car then getting a sky high quote, i might be insured, but id still be paying a verrry high quote would i not?

But the risk here, is buying the car then getting a sky high quote, i might be insured, but id still be paying a verrry high quote would i not?

you dont have to buy the car just ask for a supervisor or manager, if you already have the policy with them they should as mick-skyline said use there code to unlock the imported cars on there system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 frankkeogh

hi ..ihave a 1997 bzr ..just put in new clutch..tyres all round and pads...brakes are not great..no real bite not like glanza i had before...pads are in a while so are well bedded in ...any ideas would be great....frank,

Please start a new thread, don't dig up old ones. Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement