Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

usb/sd card car stereo.

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I looking to upgrade the stereo and speakers in my Alfa 147 and I was thinking of this blaupunkt, the reason I’ve chosen blaupunkt is that it I should still be able to use the steering wheel controls and information from the stereo is displayed on the instrument panel.

The question I have is, has anyone used the USB/SD card method of getting mp3’s/wma’s to the stereo and if so is it easy to navigate through the songs/folders?

I’ve used the FM transmitter and while its ok I think its awkward not to mention dangerous to navigate through the menus on the player itself while driving.

The player I’m using is a creative zen 20gig player that I’ve transferred over to a hard drive only i.e. bypassing the creative software so the stereo should only see folders and songs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

You could try connecting one of these to the existing stereo. Afaik you can replace the cup holder & card holder thingy with an ipod holder, but it wont be compatible with your creative :(

Any time I've used USB or SD card I've had to skip past each song individually.Fine for one or 2 albums but not for 20gb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mthd wrote: »
    You could try connecting one of these to the existing stereo. Afaik you can replace the cup holder & card holder thingy with an ipod holder, but it wont be compatible with your creative :(

Classic not much help at all line :D

Unfortunately us creative users are very bloody limited in this regards, its a shame because they are a very reliable and decent player. Your only option really is an aux in or transmitter. However you still will have to use the player to scroll through music. As stated scrolling through a library on a 20gb player using a stereo is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I have an SD card reader and USB slot on my radio. It's grand but it only plays the songs in the order they were created on the flash drive/card, (Windows doesn't copy them in order either sometimes). This could well be a software glitch in my radio, but I've found it very useful nonetheless.

The unit often plays root files before reading through subsequent folders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

listermint wrote: »
    Classic not much help at all line :D

Yeah but probably cheaper and easier to buy an ipod than a new stereo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

mthd wrote: »

Any time I've used USB or SD card I've had to skip past each song individually.Fine for one or 2 albums but not for 20gb

Thanks for the info guys, it seems a shame that the usb/sd card stereos can't navigate through folders/albums or even by artist genre etc. I've just gotten spoilt being able to carry around an entire music collection, you never know what you're going to be in the mood to listen to!

If all came to all I'd get an ipod just so I could navigate easily through 20 gig's of music from the head unit.

Do the ipod car kits/head units allow this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

i picked up a JVC head unit in Halfords about a year ago with a USB port on it. basically it starts playing at the root of the USB stick, but there is also two buttons to skip forward or back through folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

dade wrote: »
    i picked up a JVC head unit in Halfords about a year ago with a USB port on it. basically it starts playing at the root of the USB stick, but there is also two buttons to skip forward or back through folders.

Dade, does that JVC give you track and album information?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bretttp1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys, it seems a shame that the usb/sd card stereos can't navigate through folders/albums or even by artist genre etc. I've just gotten spoilt being able to carry around an entire music collection, you never know what you're going to be in the mood to listen to!

If all came to all I'd get an ipod just so I could navigate easily through 20 gig's of music from the head unit.

Do the ipod car kits/head units allow this?

Put it this way its never gonna be as quick and as easy to use the headunit to find or scroll through your colllection as it is using the MP3 player directly. If your really looking for ease of access your better of getting a touch screen unit with built in harddrive. Thats the best overall solution. You get your whole collection and you can navigate through the music easily.

Advertisement