Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

head lamp nct problem.

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im doing my nct first thing in the morning and i just spent nearly a grand getting the car right, only to find that the front head lamp on passenger side wont focus correctly.

Apparently the actuator on it is broken. The guy tried to lower it and it wouldnt go down.
    I tried ringing a few places to see if they had another one, but no luck.
    I cant cancel the nct now, as its too late.
    Im wondering what to do.
    Can i fix it myself?
    Will i just chance going for the nct and see if they check for it or not?
    A new actuator, whatever that is, costs €200!!

Any advice please?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

A re-test is not expensive. Probably cheaper than a pre-test. Bring the car in, get the report and fix whatever is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

How out of focus is the light...? if its not too severe you could always prop the light downwards using some washers under the bolts that attach the headlight...

Its a quick fix for the test...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

luder wrote: »
    How out of focus is the light...? if its not too severe you could always prop the light downwards using some washers under the bolts that attach the headlight...

Its a quick fix for the test...

I dont know to be honest. All i know is what the guy at the mechanics told me. He showed me the lamp going up, but then when he tried to put it down, it just clicked and didnt move.
    Is there any way i can check the focus of the lamp myself, without the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭blackbox

You'll get a fairly good idea if a lamp is misaligned by pointing them at a wall when on level ground. The horizontal line part of the (dipped) beams should both be at the same height.

AFAIK they only test the alignment at the highest setting, if the garage has aligned them properly you may be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

1. Park your car on level ground approx ten feet from wall.

2. Measure the height from centre of the headlight to the ground.

3. Shine your dipped beam on the wall - it should hit the wall at slightly less height than at the car and slightly to the left.

Don't know about out of focus - as I thought the lens did all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

You say that the light level controller works upwards but not downwards...??

Lights are usually foucsed manually using a turn wheel typically located at the back of the light...

Advertisement