Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

status of back road from Dunkettle to Cobh's Cross

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of running home from work tonight from Cork City to Cobh.

Last year when I did this I went out the lower road, crossed up to the back road (I'm sure it has a proper name) at the dunkettle interchange and came back out at the Carrigtohill/Cobh exit off the Dual Carraigeway.

I know the road was closed for a while. Has it reopened yet?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I know the road was closed for a while. Has it reopened yet?

...I presume you mean Kilacloyne Bridge?! As far as I'm aware it has not been reopened yet..and not going to till more the end of July I think seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

kilacloyne bridge is due to re-open at the end of the month.

there's only two options - the main N25 dual carriageway or a diversion up into the hills just before the old petrol station (boat shop now) and coming back down just after the bridge. At a wild guess the second one would probably add about 3k to the run (with a decent hill). I know people walk it with and without dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    ...I presume you mean Kilacloyne Bridge?.....

yes I think so, sorry I'm not better at describing it. Peril of being a blow-in (albeit one who is developing a lovely cork accent at an alarming rate!)

Thanks for both the replies. I wouldn't be confident to not get lost taking the detour and turning an extra 3 km into an extra 20 so I think I'll try the N25. AFAIK, there is a hard shoulder the entire way and I've a high vis vest with me.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

AFAIK, there is a hard shoulder the entire way and I've a high vis vest with me.

assuming you mean from Little Island cross (flyover) yeah, no bother. there's a lovely wide hard shoulder all the way to Cobh Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

UCC to Cobh in 2 hours which is perfectably acceptable for me. Plenty of traffic on the dual carraigeway but with the hard shoulder it felt safe. The R624 is always a bit hairy but I enjoyed the run.
    Thanks again for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Fair play to you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

the bridge there was knocked down, new one being re-built for the new rail line

Advertisement