Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap prescription glasses

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭

i remember seeing a thread a while back(cant find it now) about a nice cheap site selling prescription glasses. i dont know if its relible but can anyone link me to that site?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are loads of them.

Some I have bookmarked from my own search are -

www.39dollarglasses.com
    vision2you.co.uk
    www.glassescrafter.com
    www.glassesdirect.co.uk
    www.selectspecs.com
    www.goggles4u.com
    www.eyewear-directni.com
    www.best4glasses.co.uk

Personally I decided to eliminate all the non irish or uk ones and worked from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds good moonbeam, any particular one to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I've used goggles4u a couple of times. Happy with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i tried out goggles4u and its fantastic, i got a decent pair of glasses for just 26 dollars. ill probably use them again. i might post up a few photos just to convince a few doubters. I will say though;
    -you are buying blind and really dont know how they are going to look on you
    -you kinda have to guess on the size of things like the nose bridge and arms length.

personally i use glasses for driving and tv so i didnt really worry about the style of them. for safety, i went for quite a plain style. If you wear glasses all day, id say specsavers are still your best bet unless your stuck for cash as how they fit and look will be crucial to your daily living.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

My missus went to Specsavers and was quoted €70 for a pair of glasses with high prescription lenses (€270 for the lenses) - she ordered a pair off goggles4u and paid €51 all in, they were perfect. She brought them to specsavers and asked the optician if the lenses in them were the thinnest possible and he said yes and did not bat an eyelid at the frames or lenses - great bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used vision2you.co.uk and found them brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭boardtc

I have purchased from glassesdirect.co.uk twice before, once when living in England and in 2008 from Ireland. Great succes each time. Last week I got my new prescription after paying €30 at specsavers. I ordered from glassdirect, for a great deal of £93.50 for 2 pairs, and then easily found a coupon online to take another tenner off. These were both titanium bendy frames and the equivalent in specsavers were very expensive.

However, I later got an email from thee saying that unfortunately in their terms and conditions which have been agreed by the General optical Council they state that every customer who they dispense glasses to is entitled to a free fitting. Because of this they are unable to send any glasses outside of the UK.

I was able to give them a friends address who can mail them onto me, but not ideal. I am assuming this effect all online glasses sales from UK now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

It's not online, but Specsavers are doing glasses from 29 euro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭boardtc

@Mackmuffin, do you work for them? The 29 price is like a ryanair quote, we want the prices with the "taxes and charges" :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

:p No I don't, I just buy my glasses there.

Full prescription glasses, all charges included (bar an eye test), from €29. They used to be from €49, but Specsavers reduced their prices on all their brands. Final price, 29 euro, unless you want extras like scratch resistant lenses. I get my designer ones there for 149 for two pairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement