Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny pubs & restaurants

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Hi - I'm staying in the Radisson in Letterkenny this weekend & am looking for suggestions for good pubs to go to & some decent restaurants. Also is there any late bars, or is it all just nightclubs after closing? Cheers in advance! Been there before but it was YEARS ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

as for restaurants, best place i can think of from my time there is the 'yellow pepper' and the bottom of main street, plenty of great chicken and meat dishes, pastas, caters for groups from couples to large partys

for pubs, was always fond of the 'oasis', at the shopping centre, has a cocktail bar, different events most nights, karioke etc, the 'cottage' on main street, kind of rustic/traditional feel, but does get alot of students, and, for larger, more open places, and late bars, disco club places, check out the cavern, or voodoo

;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, Yellow Pepper is good.

On other end of town is a nice wee restaurant up steps opposite An Grianán, though can't remember the name of it. Nice grub though and not too expensive. La Primavera beside it was good too, if you like pastas.

byte wrote: »

On other end of town is a nice wee restaurant up steps opposite An Grianán, though can't remember the name of it. Nice grub though and not too expensive.

was/is that some kind of bar-b-q/grill type of restrarant, was never in it, but did hear some good stories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well if your up for 30 min car ride i'd recommend the Drift Inn in Buncrana for a good bar, open pretty late Thursday, Friday, Saturday with Karaoke on Fridays and a live band every Saturday. I work there Sundays and try and keep the place open late as possible, but we don't always have music.

Cheapest pints in the town (not sure about Letterkenny) and we also serve bar food to 21:30 expect on Sundays we only serve to 20:30. [/shameless plug] Nightclubs in the town are the Zone and Liberties, Zone on Friday and Saturday, Liberties on Saturday and Sunday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im never really in Letterkenny at night but I believe that McGinleys and The Central bar are popular or if you're into trad irish then the Wolfe Tone bar would be the spot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Yellow pepper is highly rated restaurant.

Pubs:
    Mcginleys - Live Music
    Wolfetone - Irish/live bands
    Cavern - DJ
    Voodoo - Band and DJ
    Central - usually 1 or 2 piece band
    Mc Carrys - DJ
    Sister Saras - Biggest bar with Disco and basement club free all night
    Oasis is closed
    Cottage - no entertainment but good place for a pint

Clubs
    Voodoo - Dance Music (Opposite Cavern) €15 adm
    Pulse - band and eighties mostly (opposite Sister Saras) ADm €12
    Milan - Club/Chart ADM €10 with concessions also in Sister Saras

Depends really on your age and taste in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try Josie's bar. He's a legend in the martial arts forum on boards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Thanks a million lads - much appreciated. Looks like we won't be short of drinking holes anyway! Just booked the Yellow Pepper for Saturday.
    byte wrote: »

On other end of town is a nice wee restaurant up steps opposite An Grianán, though can't remember the name of it.

Does anyone know what this place is called?

Used to be the oaktree across from their raised up from the road, think its changed hands now or maybe gone. Was in once, nice but not as busy as Yellow pepper.

There is a new one directly across and on the footpath level, only open a few weeks called Beetroot. Not sure of reviews.

Good barfood is available at the Brewery in middle of town or Arena 7 on Ramelton Road (too far to walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

There's also Sienna on the Main Street, a kind of bistro which also has great jazz or salsa music depending on the night.

Anyway, plenty of options!

• Advertisement

Yellow pepper is highly rated restaurant.

Pubs:
    Mcginleys - Live Music
    Wolfetone - Irish/live bands
    Cavern - DJ
    Voodoo - Band and DJ
    Central - usually 1 or 2 piece band
    Mc Carrys - DJ
    Sister Saras - Biggest bar with Disco and basement club free all night
    Oasis is closed
    Cottage - no entertainment but good place for a pint

Clubs
    Voodoo - Dance Music (Opposite Cavern) €15 adm
    Pulse - band and eighties mostly (opposite Sister Saras) ADm €12
    Milan - Club/Chart ADM €10 with concessions also in Sister Saras

Depends really on your age and taste in music.

when did that close, had some great nights (and afternoons) in that place

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Used to be the oaktree across from their raised up from the road, think its changed hands now or maybe gone. Was in once, nice but not as busy as Yellow pepper.

There is a new one directly across and on the footpath level, only open a few weeks called Beetroot. Not sure of reviews.

Good barfood is available at the Brewery in middle of town or Arena 7 on Ramelton Road (too far to walk)
    That's it! The Oak Tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are still around on Sunday night the Wolfe Tones are playing in Jacksons Hotel in Ballybofey - if you are into that type of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Don't forget Shapla. They do a mighty madras. :)

to answer everything above or add.....

Shapla is a great Indian, bit outta town if you're walking but worth it if you are into Indian.

josies is a nice Bar but tends to be very old with Jive and Country music. Having said that that could be for you and Josie used to be a bouncer almost everywhere in Donegal, a real gentleman who pioneered the ideal of decent doormen.

Oasis closed a few months ago, I'd think someone should re-open it but with trade as it is in pubs thats the way its going

Wolfetones have split and some of them are playing in Derry on Sunday some in ballybofey same night by looks of it. I think some might be in Letterkenny on Sat night too. (AHHH don't say ye haven't heard that and which is which.... apparently it makes a difference to those who care! as devisive as lisbon.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I meant to say, I'm in Letterkenny NEXT weekend.. so I'll miss the Wolfe Tones (damn!!). Seems to be a lot of decent restaurants there - been checking out the suggestions on the web.

Has anyone been to or heard good / bad things about either of these 2 places; Restaurant Jude and Water's Edge Restaurant in Rathmullan? And how far a drive is Rathmullan from Letterkenny?

Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Josies is a nice Bar but tends to be very old with Jive and Country music. Having said that that could be for you and Josie used to be a bouncer almost everywhere in Donegal, a real gentleman who pioneered the ideal of decent doormen.

Theres good traditional folk music on in the Glencar Inn on sunday night in the Ballyboe Bar, and the same guys play in Josie's bar on Tuesdays as well, good music, nice for drinking a few pints with.

If you're looking for good blues music, head to bridge bar in nearby Ramelton on a Saturday or Wednesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OurFella

Restaurants:
    Yellow Pepper or the Lemon Tree ( across the street from each other)

Pub:
    The Cottage - Best pub in the country, bar none!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Prefer the Lemon tree myself. Primavera is nice as well and reasonable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Depends who you are going with, if it's your partner then you would definitely have to go to Josie's in the day. Has gorgeous couches with an open fire...

Cavern is mad craic all the time, Sister Saras is good if you're with the lads or mates. 3 floors, club is free aswell. Pulse (club) is mostly an older crowd, has a live band and then a DJ in the other room, opposite Saras aswell. The Grill (nightclub) would be a class place for me, everytime I go there it's always a great night. It's basically people just wanting to have a good time. Milan and Voodoo are full of absolute POSERS on Saturdays. Steer clear of them. Voodoos on Friday however is good, it's dance music and they usually have a guest DJ.

As for restuarants, Oceans (back of Grill), The Brewary, and the place opposite The Brewary and you have to go up a stairs is nice aswell. Sienna is a lovely place to relax in during the day if you want some lunch.

There's lots of pubs/clubs/restuarants, you're gonna be spoilt for choice! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement