Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Löffel

Options
  • 08-07-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I've got a right hand drive Mk3 golf which was originally bought and registered in germany (1st owner was a VW employee who was planning a move to Ireland).

The work "Löffel" is written on the back left corner, just beside the boot/hatch.
    Does anybody know it's significance? For once, google seems to be at a loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It's German for Spoon.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

from my rusty knowledge of german, isn't "Loffel" the word for an item of cutlery? knife, fork or spoon.. Knife would make the most sense in this situation.
    Is it a decal on the bodywork?
    is it in a logo form?
    is that the only location on the car?

cant say it rings a bell - i've had a good few Golfs in my time, and also lived in Germany for a couple of years where occassionally you would see special edition Golfs (Pink Floyd & Rolling Stones, also a 'California' edition - the first two were Mk3s, the latter a Mk2 iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is the car originally from the Cologne area?

Then it could be the name of the dealership

http://www.loeffel-koeln.de/home.cms

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Name of a VW dealer perhaps?

http://www.loeffel-koeln.de/home.cms

EDIT: Damn! Must learn to type quicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Spoon :D class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Cionád wrote: »
    It's German for Spoon.

LOL
    tc20 wrote: »
    Spoon :D class!

Yes, it does translate to spoon. It's also a surname. Don't get overexcited, it's not a tuning house engine, i'd have noticed.
    tc20 wrote: »
    from my rusty knowledge of german, isn't "Loffel" the word for an item of cutlery? knife, fork or spoon.. Knife would make the most sense in this situation.
    Is it a decal on the bodywork?
    is it in a logo form?
    is that the only location on the car?

cant say it rings a bell - i've had a good few Golfs in my time, and also lived in Germany for a couple of years where occassionally you would see special edition Golfs (Pink Floyd & Rolling Stones, also a 'California' edition - the first two were Mk3s, the latter a Mk2 iirc)

I think it was bought straight from the factory - why would a german dealer stock right hand drive? It's a decal - i'd say manufacturer rather than aftermarket, i haven't noticed any other mention of it on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it was bought straight from the factory - why would a german dealer stock right hand drive?

A German dealer wouldn't stock RHD, they would have to order it though. A private person can't just order from VW directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most continental dealers will stock RHD on request - e.g. if you're moving back home in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

peasant wrote: »
    A German dealer wouldn't stock RHD, they would have to order it though. A private person can't just order from VW directly.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Most continental dealers will stock RHD on request - e.g. if you're moving back home in a few months.
    Quite right guys. Just checked that link. loeffel-logo.gif It's a decal version of this image(without the Köln bit).

You learn something new every day.

Advertisement