Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you knew someone with a fake Drivers Licence...

• 08-07-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Would you tell on that person in Gardai?

I might know several people,

I don't know on one hand, I feel like a rat, and like it's not my business why the hell should I do it? And stick my nose in other people's businesses.

On the other hand, hey, I worked on my driving license, hard. Took lessons, studied, practiced and passed... and it angers me that some people can just buy their way AND they have to pay less for the insurance too cause they bought multiple year NCB.

I'm in a moral dilemma.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I knew someone had a fake driving licence, I'd call both the guards and the insurance fraud line. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I heard about one guy who is disqualified from driving but who is still on the road driving around. I don't actually know his name or anything, I only heard about it through a friend but part of me thought I should report him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Inform the authorities. For sure. It might not be easy, but it's the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

your insurance company should take the license number.... surely it would come up as 'This licence doesn't exist', and how can they 'buy multiple year NCB'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was thinking about that, but is it possible they have a legitamite license number and name? In which case it may not raise any red flags...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

so they're not creating fake ID's - theyre stealing peoples identities!

Quinn Direct for one do not check your licence details at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

steve06 wrote: »
    your insurance company should take the license number.... surely it would come up as 'This licence doesn't exist', and how can they 'buy multiple year NCB'?
    Its long time since an insurance company asked me for my drivers licence number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

steve06 wrote: »

I think it was like package deal, license + 5 year NCB, it was a fake letter saying they've been insured and driving in Eastern Europe, when they haven't even been there, ever.

How can a person who buys a license few month ago, be paying only 300 euro for insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never heard of this before. You can buy a full licence (presumably in another persons name?) and get their insurance NCB details? Sounds strange.

Oh, licence and insurance details are both EE? Then I guess it could happen. But I can't really see an insurance company here accepting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kbannon wrote: »
    Its long time since an insurance company asked me for my drivers licence number!

I had to provide a copy of my licence when I started my insurance so they have it on file. Is this not standard?

I'd also imagine that if these guys are pulled over for any offence and their details taken they are in a lot of grief!

biko wrote: »
    I never heard of this before. You can buy a full licence (presumably in another persons name?) and get their insurance NCB details? Sounds strange.

Oh, licence and insurance details are both EE? Then I guess it could happen. But I can't really see an insurance company here accepting them.

Sorry I made a mistake, I should've written LICENSE instead of ID in the title. Sorry my mistake.

Riskymove wrote: »
    I had to provide a copy of my licence when I started my insurance so they have it on file. Is this not standard?

Absolutely not anymore its not.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Sorry I made a mistake, I should've written LICENSE instead of ID in the title. Sorry my mistake.
    tsk - making work for the mods :mad:

Thread title updated :)

kbannon wrote: »
    tsk - making work for the mods :mad:

Thread title updated :)

Thank you kbannon! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Riskymove wrote: »

I Had to provide a scan of both front and back of my licence to be put on my g/f's insurance as a named driver. She wasnt even asked for her license number, and neither was I for my own insurance come to think of it. strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

biko wrote: »

Hadn't heard about it here much either. My girlfriend is from Poland and she reckons it's huge over there. A cousin of hers got caught with one and got in serious trouble.. a VERY hefty fine and long ban.

As far as I know, the one he got was German. So obviously that is it, a fake license from another country and chance your arm.

Don't know why that tool done it, or why anybody would in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I don't think Quinn Direct ever asked me for my license details at all, but Axa definitely do, as did Hibernian, IIRC.

OP, I'd tell the authorities, just in case he does do something really stupid, ruining his and maybe someone else's life in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Got insured through insure.ie and had to send in copies of my license and the wifes license and also if I add anyone else onto the policy I have to send in a copy of theirs. The privious broker I was with wanted the same thing.

To the OP if that guy hurts someone badly with their car and the details they are insured under are found to be false whats ther injured party ment to do. Worst case its a child involved and the child ends up with a sever disability whos going to pay certinatly not your friend I suspect.

Report them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You gotta bite the bullet and report them. Let us know what their reaction is and if they continue driving! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Yes report them, fake licence means no insurance, what if someone like that crashed into your family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

yes report them if they crashed into u it means there insurance wont be valid and u will get nothin not to mention if they killed someone ????????? do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Forgive me for stating the obvious but suppose you did ring the guards, what are they going to do?

They can't turn up to the house without a warrant, they can't get a warrant without evidence. They're not exactly going to wait outside the guys house in the hope that he'll get into the car and drive somewhere?

They also would have to have formed a suspicion that the person had a fake license in the first place and this would mean the informer making a formal statement that could be used in court if a prosecution went ahead. They may even need to be called to testify.

If they had NPR systems in the traffic cars then they could flag the plate for a stop, they don't though.

I don't think it's as simple as simple as 'dobbing him in'.

On the bright side, there are plenty of checkpoints looking for licenses recently so maybe they'll get caught.
    On second thoughts, probably not as I just looked at my own license which is crumpled, faded and torn from being in my pocket & wallet for the last 6 years (and once thru the washing machine) - if they accept that, they'd accept anything.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Say nothing, if they crash into a third party their insurance will still cover the claim by the third party and your 'friend' will end up in a big bucket of sh1t. If you were to report your friend to the guards they probably wouldn't do anything anyway

Onkle wrote: »
    Say nothing, if they crash into a third party their insurance will still cover the claim by the third party and your 'friend' will end up in a big bucket of sh1t. If you were to report your friend to the guards they probably wouldn't do anything anyway

Firstly, the Guards these days would - revenue generation...

Secondly, the IIF fraud line certainly would investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I actually know one girl from Poland who claims she didn't even had to bother on her driving test in Poland to do properly, she says that the driving tester knew her parents and he just let her pass the driving test with no problem at all.
    As there was a funny situation last October when she was suppose to park her own car in a tight parking space but she couldn't so she asked a passer by to park the car for he self.
    As well i know another girl from Latvia who said to me that she just bought the license over there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

why would you bother if that person isint a dangerous driver there not doing any harm.....im 14 and ive driven on the road many times and im a better driver than alot of people i know with a licence.....and if i knew where i could get a fake licence ..and i wouldnt get caught id been on the road in a second..............and anyway dey will probably get caught nd then there ****ed lol..........the gaurds have cameras that read the number plates and if theres sumtin wrong it will come up on d display

welcome to boards andr3w103 - please don't reply to old threads though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't dig up old threads and stop trolling.
    Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement