Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple php and checkbox help.

Options
  • 08-07-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

i have a form that has numerous checkboxes on it, i would like to be able to create a simple sql statement based on which checkboxes are ticked.

so say someone ticks only the project and keyword box. i want the query to be

SELECT project, keyword FROM table;

or if the project, keyword, origination was ticked

SELECT project, keyword, origination FROM table;

here's my form

[php]
    //form submits to itself.
    echo '<form name="excelexport" method="get" action='.$_SERVER.'>
    <table class="stats">
    <tr>
    <td class="hed" colspan="2">Export to Excel</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Project</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="project" value="project" /></td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Product</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="product" value="product" /></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Product No.</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="productno" value="productno" /></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Keyword</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="keyword" value="keyword" /></td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td>Origination</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="origin" value="origin" /></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Submitted Date</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="submitdate" value="submitdate" /></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Status</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name="status" value="status" /></td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td colspan="2"><input type="button" class="subbut" value="Select All" onclick="checkAll(document.excelexport);"/>  <input type="button" class="subbut" value="De-select All" onclick="uncheckAll(document.excelexport);"/>  <input type="submit" class="subbut" value="Export"/></td>
    </tr>';
    [/php]now above this i check to see if the $_GET array has been set.

[php]
    if(isset($_GET))
    {
    $sql = "SELECT ";
    foreach ($_GET as $key => $value)
    {
    $sql.= $value . ",";
    }

//remove the last comma
    $sql = substr($sql,0,-1);

$sql .= " FROM table";

$result = mysql_query($sql);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
    echo $row . "<br/>" . $row; //etc. etc.
    }
    }
    [/php]if i echo out $sql the query i get a query which i expect, but i get a mysql warning and everything stops

here's the warning: WARNING: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MYSQL result resource in <FILENAME.PHP> on line 24

line 24 is the $result = mysql_query($sql);

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you execute the query directly against the server, does it work?

On an aside, remember that checkboxes don't work the same way as other input. If a checkbox is not selected, it simply won't appear in the $_GET array. So if no boxes are selected, your script will still attempt to execute the query "SELECT FROM table"

if recommend you change your if condition to
    [php]if(isset($_GET) && !empty($_GET))[/php]
    In the interests of security, I would also recommend that you write the lines after that with injection in mind:
    [php] foreach ($_GET as $key => $value)
    {
    $sql.= "`".mysql_escape_string($value) . "`,";
    }[/php]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seamus wrote: »
    When you execute the query directly against the server, does it work?

On an aside, remember that checkboxes don't work the same way as other input. If a checkbox is not selected, it simply won't appear in the $_GET array. So if no boxes are selected, your script will still attempt to execute the query "SELECT FROM table"

if recommend you change your if condition to
    [php]if(isset($_GET) && !empty($_GET))[/php]In the interests of security, I would also recommend that you write the lines after that with injection in mind:
    [php] foreach ($_GET as $key => $value)
    {
    $sql.= "`".mysql_escape_string($value) . "`,";
    }[/php]

thank you Seamus, is was the !empty($_GET) that solved it.

i usually do write my queries with sql injection in mind i just left it out of the code example above as with other parts of my code as i don't like a lot of my code online especially when it's not necessary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ok i've move on a little from this idea and now have three values that are selected from three separate drop-down boxes that are posted to a php script.

i have an base sql query that i'd like to run which is

SELECT project, subarea, product, date, etc FROM table;

that query will execute if nothing is selected from the drop down box, but i want to be able to filter the results based on what is in the drop-down boxes.

so for example, the user selects a project and a product the query would look like this:

SELECT project, subarea, product, date, etc FROM table WHERE project='$userselectedproject' AND product='$userselectedproduct';

problem i'm having a hard time thinking of all the permutations and how to structure the query?

*EDIT*,

i'm working on an if and elseif block at the moment, but i can see that being big and rather cumbersome to anyone maintaining the code.

Advertisement