Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is SAP like to work for?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Have been thinking of moving to Galway and checking out possible work possibilities there. I see there are technial writer roles advertised fairly regularly in SAP. Have worked in corporates before and got out cos I hated them so much. What kind of atmosphere is in SAP? My doubt probably answers my question for me but thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My brother in-law works there

Been there for 3+ years now and he likes it. Seem like a nice company, they actually have masseuse for the employees. I don't know what else to say otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Krieg wrote: »
    My brother in-law works there

Been there for 3+ years now and he likes it. Seem like a nice company, they actually have masseuse for the employees. I don't know what else to say otherwise

15eur for 15 mins, can't go wrong!

Free tea, coffee and free food too. They've even got showers etc in there sure where could ya go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kerfuffle

Thanks for the info, Krieg and John. Those are good extras alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

SAPpy ending massages?

i made a lol

I guess I am wondering - APART from the massages etc what is it like. Is it the type of big company where every day you are looking at emails from managers about how to increase profits or is it reasonably 'human'?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't work in the Galway Office, so I can't comment directly, but I have found every SAP location I have been to very nice and very friendly. You do have to get your work done, obviously, but you don't have managers screaming at you all day or anything like that. It is a fairly relaxed place to work to be honest, and very different from other 'big business' places, or so I have been told by people who are here having been elsewhere in their careers previously.

Thanks Tauren. Was trying to get a sense of what SAP is like with other big businesses so that sounds encouraging.

kerfuffle wrote: »
    I guess I am wondering - APART from the massages etc what is it like. Is it the type of big company where every day you are looking at emails from managers about how to increase profits or is it reasonably 'human'?!

Human as it gets... from what I hear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Very human. Very friendly altogether, and the food's free ;-)

It definitely has a university feel to it, nice and relaxed.

Bonuses and benefits are pretty good, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

What's a technical writer:confused:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

They seem to be constantly advertising for Technical and Graduate Writers..is that because they can't find anyone or that they let them go?

:D Technical writer IS a weird term! Basically, they are supposed to explain technical information, so they could be writing the user guides that come with electrical items etc. The idea being to make it accessible language.

Usually these kind of jobs are looking for more 'techie' people (which I'm not particularly), such as to know loads of software languages. But SAP seem to be looking more to get the concepts across, possibly for training.

As for why they are always looking - it may be the sort of job that wrecks your head after a while?! Haven't worked in this area before, but would like to find out more.

AParantly they had their companty day out touday, loadsa of activitities n konety of drunink! .... apatntyly!! ;P :):)

Ah yes,company alcohol junkets. :D Haven't been on one of them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They seem to be constantly advertising for Technical and Graduate Writers..is that because they can't find anyone or that they let them go?

and for a while there, they were always looking for partner-advisors (or suchlke ... can't quite remember the term), but these seem to have dried up lately.

From what I've heard, they are relatively low pay-ers, although with good benefits. Also some jobs involve working with customers/vendors in the west coast of the US, so have working hours like 4-midnight, which doesn't suit some people as a long term thing.

Advertisement