Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnecting an unused phone line

Options
  • 08-07-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I had a search for similar threads, but this was all I could find and it didn't have the answer I was looking for: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-280577.html

A bit of background: I moved into a house where there was no visible phone socket. As it was in the middle of an estate I figured that surely there was a line somewhere, and after some exploration I found a likely suspect behind a skirting board. I bought a cheap socket box with the intention of wiring it up myself.

Unfortunately, the colour scheme does not match any I have found online. The box I bought has a red/green black/yellow scheme which is fine, but the wires behind the skirting board are using a orange-black-green-white scheme which I can't find anywhere. Has anyone come across this before?

Pic attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Assuming it's just one bog standard line you have there, any pair can be used -- colours don't matter as long as the same colours are used on the other end. This means two wires (a pair) go unused in most cases.

You could use a multimeter to find out which pair has a potential difference between them. There doesn't appear to be much slack in those cables. If there was a little more length, might be tempted to connect all permutations of the cables (24 possibilities in total if I'm not mistaken). These should be the ones to use. Red and green used to be L1 and L2 but it seems blue-white and white-blue are the corresponding colours in newer cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

That old Eircom two pair wire each pair any time I see it being used its usually orange/white and green /black..
    But until Eircom actually connect you to a live telephone line it wont do you any good connecting them .(The pairs on your socket will be green red)
    Order you line from Eircom and let them worry about what pairs they use (they will use what ever pair works) You'll simply show the Eircom Guy where the wires are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Multimeter? Way to make me slap my forehead.

You don't recognise the orange-black-green-white scheme by any chance?

Cheers JohnnieM. Although the whole point of doing it myself was to avoid dragging an Eircom guy out to the house... as I understand it that costs over €100 whereas having the wiring in place costs closer to €30. Seems to be excessive for what is a five minute job (although in my case those five minutes would be spread over a week ;))

AFIK ..If the line has been disconnected for more than three months you pay the higher fee :eek:....So let them earn their money!:D

• Advertisement

No joy from the multimeter.

What I can take away from this is that there is no particular colour standard for going home-to-curb in Ireland. A small victory I suppose.

I give up!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Orange Orange/White is the standard, but the best way of testing it touch making pair of or finger {or tongue if you feel brave} and if you get a shock {a small one, like licking a 9v batt.} then you got it.

Onikage wrote: »
    No joy from the multimeter.

What I can take away from this is that there is no particular colour standard for going home-to-curb in Ireland. A small victory I suppose.

Dont confuse the tingle you feel from with the single core wire going through your tongue..:D
    Dont use this method to test mains :eek:

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Orange Orange/White is the standard, but the best way of testing it touch making pair of or finger {or tongue if you feel brave} and if you get a shock {a small one, like licking a 9v batt.} then you got it.

Standards are great, but only if people follow them. I don't have an orange/white wire and if I did I suspect it wouldn't work :p

Cheers for the, erm, interesting advice but the multimeter says nothing happening.

• Advertisement

:confused:Ahem
    but the wires behind the skirting board are using a orange-black-green-white scheme

Your first pair is orange and white .
    Second pair Black and green ..
    As I said befor There wont be a phone line there unless you have ordered one from eircom.. i.e. it wont work..no voltage..hense multi meter shows nothing.. Eircom do not have operational phone lines behind skirting boards..(unless some one has just moved out :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Hate to contradict you JohnnieM but sometimes there is a DC level on a line, but no AC Dialtone - how you can test for this is plug a phone into a socket terminated on the orange/white pair and if pushing a button on the phone makes the sound (dial a number) then it's simply a matter of eircom re-activating the line!

Darragh

Good grief, I must be developing forum blindness. Orange and white is the first pair. Thanks, JohnnieM!

And the line was where I expected to find a socket, just on the wrong side of a bit of skirting board.

Good grief, I must be developing forum blindness. Orange and white is the first pair. Thanks, JohnnieM!

And the line was where I expected to find a socket, just on the wrong side of a bit of skirting board.

Wahoo..:D

I was wondering why you were clearing your throat.

Or at least trying to :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    There is about 50volts dc on a phone line.. A bit more than licking an 9volt battery :rolleyes:

And 75 volts ac when it rings.. Go and lick that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

I've alway wondered-how much DC power can one pull from eircom down a phone line? Anyone know the fault current on a PSTN? (Visions of powering a plasma tv from the power dissipated down a phone line...!)

Darragh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've alway wondered-how much DC power can one pull from eircom down a phone line? Anyone know the fault current on a PSTN? (Visions of powering a plasma tv from the power dissipated down a phone line...!)

Darragh
    I saw a video on stumble a while back. Some fella used the phone line to power a led torch. Light cuts out tho when the line rings.

I'll try to find the link later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Just off the phone with BT Ireland

Need to check for Soft Dial Tone (beeping noise)

Connection Fee - €25 (5 days)
    Phone line disconnected 3-6 months €50 (2 Weeks)
    Phone line disconnected > 6 months - €122.00 (2 - 6 weeks).

Right! I connected the wires as follows:

Internal : External
    Red : Orange
    Green : White

Black : Black
    White : Green

That looks right to me. So I ring Eircom. Hello, can you reconnect the line, that'll be 24.99, go for it. Grand. Two days later they ring back to tell me it's reconnected. Great. But when I get home to try it out, nothing. No dial tone. Nothing on the multimeter. So it looks like it's ready to go, but it's not. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

you'll have to find where the line enters the building and check it there...Start following at the telephone pole

I'm pretty sure I'm at the source, the wires come out of a black plastic tube that vanishes into the ground. Being that I live in an estate, it might be a bit tricky to find my line on the pole. Maybe I just need to get the more expensive reconnection product :(

is there a junction box anywher between the pipe from the ground to the inside of the house,,,, you could have a break between the two points ,, Do you know any one that could put a tone on the line to trace it..Sparks etc etc

Not that I've noticed but that could be an idea... and I might know a fellow who'd know.

Cheers for the help!

Advertisement